Reporting Abuse in Group chat?

ildiko Evergarden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was wondering if reporting abuse in the group is as efficient as reporting abuse in local chat?

I am in this V.I.P chat group [ pay to join ]

and today we had someone in the group chat spout off a derogatory remark.

Now the creator of the group is rarely online at times. So by the time she would get any report of someone doing that in her chat

that resident would be long gone from her group chat.

The reason why I want to report this person is you never know when they might go into another group chat and do the same thing again.

6 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

I don't know.. is hate speech a breach of TOS?

real hate, yes, but what is hate... for you perhaps the worst you ever heared, while for me it might not even make me blink.
If you report be sure to have it documented with proof, to the point and no subjective info added.

1 minute ago, Ethan Paslong said:

real hate, yes, but what is hate... for you perhaps the worst you ever heared, while for me it might not even make me blink.
If you report be sure to have it documented with proof, to the point and no subjective info added.

Well I have all the info.. the point is.. will it be as efficient as reporting a local chat abuse?

Meh... I'll report it and see what happens.

3 hours ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

I don't know.. is hate speech a breach of TOS?

Hate speech against race, sexuality, gender - yes. That's covered in the TOS. AR with avatar name, time and group name and let the lab decide.

You can also send a message to the group's owner so they can add the miscreant to the ban list, that stops them rejoining in the future.

When reporting chat, local or group, the time it happened is MOST important. The Lindens will look at the server logs and read the chat there, regardless of what you include in the report. Accurate time helps them.

If someone is truly annoying, people in the group usually speak up. So, if you are the only one having a problem with what was said you should probably check your snowflake or tolerance meter, whichever you use. The exception is spam. Knowledgeable users generally DO NOT RESPOND to spammers. They just report them via AR, no discussion. The same with obvious griefers.

Also, what may be offensive in one group may be typical conversation in another. So, policing SL is the Governance team's job as they have a sense of what goes on in various parts of SL. They tend toward the permissive side unless there is likely real harm being done. At least that is my take from speaking with Governance people. Individual users that attempt the job tend toward vigilantism and seem to evolve a fascist nature often become a worse problem than the original offender. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.