chaosninja7

Roleplay 101

Thought I write some basics to roleplay that I WAS TAUGHT/GO BY. Again, this is what i use. These are not set in stone, just personally used as my rule-of-thumb.

First, Godmodding.

- Godmodding is having a character who is uber strong and zero weakness that cannot be killed. Everything can die. Even you.

Second, Metagaming.

- Metagaming is using Out-of-Character (OOC) information In-Character (IC). Just because you are aware of the information does NOT mean your character does.

Third. YOU are NOT your character. So don't take crap personal if something happens IC, such as insults.

Fourth....  Your character has limits, whether physical or mental. Example is sprinting for days straight and completely fine and no fatigue. Limits keep you from Godmodding.

Thats all I can think of right now. Help it helps.

I think you have godmodding and power-playing mixed up.

What you describe as godmodding is generally known as powerplaying in the circles where I roleplay.
Godmodding is making decisions and actions for other characters, and environment you normally would not be able to influence.

• Like 2

While I like the initiative, I think the topic is quite small and lacks a lot of important information to be a guide.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lavalois said:

What you describe as godmodding is generally known as powerplaying in the circles where I roleplay.
Godmodding is making decisions and actions for other characters, and environment you normally would not be able to influence.

This ^

Godmodding would be, for example:

• Thorine hits XY straight in the face, making them stumble and fall down

Here, I would decide over XY's body and reactions.

Better roleplaying would rather be (same example):

• Thorine blows a hit in the direction of XY's face
  • XY can't dodge, gets a full blow in the face, and falls down with a painful yelp

Here, the co-player XY plays along, they decide what the result of my attempt to hit them will be.

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 2

Role-play is actually very simple:

Always leave a "hook" for the other person to respond to. In general chat that would always be a question. Never emote thoughts, only what any of the five senses can observe: see, smell, taste, feel, hear. Never "Godmod" - which is telling ME what I see, smell, taste, feel, or hear. Rather you should describe it as a source: "A bright light...", "A scent of blood...", "The thickness in the air that one could taste...", A colder than usual breeze blows...", "An electric charge fills the air..."

Never meta-game: using information that was not provided "in-character" - for instance, in my profile I say I like chocolate, don't mention that I like chocolate unless it came out in role-play chat. (And why it's *never* a good idea to put roleplay info into your profile other than what the five senses can observe).

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4

Following the OP's listing:

Fifth: Do try and make your character more "alive" by giving them character traits and quirks, a personality of some sort. Too many roleplayers I've played with since the creation of my first account in '08 had only a cardboard-like, flat character. Characters with a personality are much more fun to play with - and even can be quite challenging.

For example, I once played a High School Principal on an alt, way back a couple years ago. This principal had a severe alcohol problem though. When in the office, he would often pull a bottle of  Whiskey out of a drawer and take a good sip, and he used to chew chewing gum in spite of the school rules so that he didn't smell of booze when he was in the hall or gave a class.  It was a challenge to play him so that he was believable, but it was fun. 😎

There also was someone at this school who played a deaf student, they would only react on the chat when they actually faced the speaker or "saw" them gesticulate. Another student was a depressed person - heavy and very intense to play with (too intense for a few of the former students there), but in the end, the fun in the challenge of roleplay prevailed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThorinII said:

Fifth: Do try and make your character more "alive" by giving them character traits and quirks, a personality of some sort. Too many roleplayers I've played with since the creation of my first account in '08 had only a cardboard-like, flat character. Characters with a personality are much more fun to play with - and even can be quite challenging.

This is very good. There is a sixth that is almost *always* forgotten in character creation:

A flaw. A weakness. Be sure your character has a flaw or weakness. No one has any fun playing against Superman or Wonder Woman (Okay, they got Wonder Woman RIGHT, so we'll say Supergirl) - the point is you need to have a character flaw to round-out yourself. It could be a dislike or fear of something and also a weakness: cannot swim, claustrophobia, whatever. Make something up and stick to it. Drop hints of it in your role-play. If you're surrounded by good players, they'll catch on quickly. You may not know they have, but they have. >:)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

This is very good. There is a sixth that is almost *always* forgotten in character creation:

A flaw. A weakness. Be sure your character has a flaw or weakness. No one has any fun playing against Superman or Wonder Woman (Okay, they got Wonder Woman RIGHT, so we'll say Supergirl) - the point is you need to have a character flaw to round-out yourself. It could be a dislike or fear of something and also a weakness: cannot swim, claustrophobia, whatever. Make something up and stick to it. Drop hints of it in your role-play. If you're surrounded by good players, they'll catch on quickly. You may not know they have, but they have. >:)

For me, it's more interesting to try to discover what those flaws are/might be, than to have hints dropped. Hints tend to be too obvious or way too vague to have a good impact. I've even seen really good RPers completely miss hints that were (to me) real obvious.

Not saying you are wrong as YMMV, just saying dropping hints isn't always a good approach. When you think about it, do people in RL go around hinting at their flaws intentionally? Nope. That's why I avoid doing it in RP. :D

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

For me, it's more interesting to try to discover what those flaws are/might be, than to have hints dropped. Hints tend to be too obvious or way too vague to have a good impact. I've even seen really good RPers completely miss hints that were (to me) real obvious.

Not saying you are wrong as YMMV, just saying dropping hints isn't always a good approach. When you think about it, do people in RL go around hinting at their flaws intentionally? Nope. That's why I avoid doing it in RP. :D

I agree with you!

When I say hints I don't mean "hints". LOL - I suppose a better way to say it would be "others will learn through your 'tells' that they discover as they get to know you". So if I'm claustrophobic and start sweating at the idea of following you into this cave - you'll have to notice I'm sweating, you can ask why but I may deflect somewhat (because embarrassed), yadda, yadda, yadda. But if the situation happens again and I start "acting oddly" then eventually you'll figure it out, etc.

(And this is for other readers to understand my meaning, not you Selene, I already know you already know what I mean.) :D

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 12:31 AM, Alyona Su said:

Role-play is actually very simple:

Always leave a "hook" for the other person to respond to. In general chat that would always be a question. Never emote thoughts, only what any of the five senses can observe: see, smell, taste, feel, hear. Never "Godmod" - which is telling ME what I see, smell, taste, feel, or hear. Rather you should describe it as a source: "A bright light...", "A scent of blood...", "The thickness in the air that one could taste...", A colder than usual breeze blows...", "An electric charge fills the air..."

Never meta-game: using information that was not provided "in-character" - for instance, in my profile I say I like chocolate, don't mention that I like chocolate unless it came out in role-play chat. (And why it's *never* a good idea to put roleplay info into your profile other than what the five senses can observe).

That hook is so important and ties into something I see a lot of this kind of RP101 leave out. Roleplaying is improvisation. In improv, you have to leave the other participants with something to work with. If you aren't adding anything for others to roleplay off of, you aren't contributing to the roleplay.

Additional, I like to make a distinction with in character and out of character, because I have found these terms to be hard to understand in SL. Because the act of logging into SL is thought to be "in character" for so many people, there is an additional distinction that needs to be made.

"Out of character" is pretty easy to understand. It's about real life or you as a person playing SL. Explaining how to rez, planning a story, or doing people management is all OOC.

"In voice," as I call it, is when you are speaking as if you were your avatar. Babies using baby talk is a good example here. Here, you are speaking as your avatar. However, this is simply a filter for many people (myself included). To help with immersion, I try and speak as an 11 year old would (my avatar's age) rather than as an adult in a child's body (unless I have to), whether I am talking RL or not.

"In story" is what people mean when they say "in character." This is when you are talking as your character, as if that character were a real participant in a given roleplay. This is when everything you say is controlled and pertains to the given roleplay.

So using this distinction, me talking like an 11 year old can be in voice or in story, depending on where I am. But talking as my avatar does not necessarily mean I am "in character" and contributing to a given roleplay; I have to actually invest in that roleplay and move to in-story.

Edited by HarrisonMcKenzie
  • Like 2

A very close friend of mine wrote a little essay about Roleplay some years ago. I got permission to post  a full quote here because she's not so active in these Forums anymore:

May 16, 2012

Roleplay! - or, Musings about IC and OOC

"Geez!" you might say, "I don't roleplay, i'm all ME, all the time!" 

But I tell you, you sure do. You roleplay ALL the time, and even different roles during the day and week.

Let's say your name is Jane Doe, you're mid-30, office employee, mother, spouse, daughter, friend, volunteer.

Let's start at your home. You wake your kid(s) up, prepare them for school, send them to school bus, spend a few minutes with your spouse before you head to work, work your shift, get home for a late lunch, go volunteer at a library, meet a friend, go to school for a meeting with the teachers, head home again, meet the babysitter, then you grab your spouse and go out... and the next day you all sleep in, then travel to your parents for weekend.

As soon as you're with your child(ren, you go "in character", playing the role of a mother as YOU interprete it. You're doing it differently than your mom, then other mothers you've met, so it's your own interpretation of this role. Anyways, with your kids, you're not Jane Doe anymore, you're "MOOOM!!!" - the mother of your kid(s). Like: "Moooom, must I do that?", "Moooom, do you have to come in without knocking?", "Mooom, Can I get that phone please?", "Mooom, can my friend come over?" and so on. You're even reacting on that title: You're "Mom", not "Jane" or "Ms Doe", and you would be angry to upset if your child(ren) ever called you "Jane", because it's inappropriate, right? And would you talk to your child(ren) the same way about the same topics as you talk to your colleagues, or your spouse, or your friends, or your own parents --- or talk with them about the same subjects as with your kid(s)? No you wouldn't.

With your spouse, are you acting and speaking the same way as with your kid(s)? Why of course not, He (or she) is not a kid, but an adult, right? Thus, you go "in character" as their "Honey" or "Darling", playing the role of an adult lover for him/her, kissing, hugging, caring. What would you think if your spouse suddenly didn't call you honey or darling anymore, but "Jane"? Uh-huh. Srz Bznz, right?

Now you go to work, and meet your boss. Would the role of a mother or the role of a lover still be appropriate now? Not at all. So you jump into the role of "Ms Doe the subordinate", and stay "in character" as long as they are in sight. "Yes Boss, of course boss, as soon as possible boss"...

Would this role still be okay when your boss is away and you're with equal-leveled colleagues? Of course not. As their team-mate and competitor "Jane the worker", you would become their plaything quickly, so you have a whole different role to play now. You must be tough and co-operative and competitive to keep your job, to avoid being mobbed or bossed around.

After your shift, you're at home, alone, spouse still at work, kids still at school - first time you can be truely "you". But hell, lunch not done, and lots to do!
So you jump into the role of the "Housewife" and cook your late lunch, clean the house a bit.

You plant yourself on the couch, have lunch while watching tv, just being "You" - suddenly you see that you have to rush to your volunteer job. You put the empty plate and cutlery into the dishwasher and head to the library.

There, you can't be your couch potato "you" anymore, nor can you be the subordinate nor the colleague, you're "Ms Doe the librarian" now, watching "in character" over the silent rooms of the library.

After a few hours you meet a friend of yours. Suddenly you can't be the stern librarian anymore, you're "Good ol' Jane" now, the happy-go-lucky girl your friend expects to see in you. You joke around, talk over some coffee, catch up a bit, get reminded of the party tonight. Then you say good bye, because you have to head to school.

There, while talking to teachers, you're "in character", yet in another role, the role of the responsible but caring business-woman "Ms Doe", similar to your "Jane the worker" persona, but with a bit "Mooom!" and "Ms Doe the subordinate" added to it.

At night you're home, you greeted your spouse as "Honey, the lover", spent time with your kid(s) as "Mooom!", prepared lunch and took care of the household as the "Housewife" - now you prepare for the party tonight.

As the babysitter arrives, you jump into a new role "Ms Doe the employer", and tell the young woman what to do. Then you go out, quickly becoming the giggly "Party-Jane" now - a mix of "Honey the lover" and "Good ol' Jane".

At night you're exhausted and drunk, and you slump on your bed, not even thinking of anything - suddenly you become "you" again.

Next day, after having been "Honey the lover", "Moom!", "Housewife", you travel to your parents - and find yourself in another role: "Jane the adult daughter". Are you acting the same towards your parents as you act towards your child(ren), your spouse, your boss, your colleagues, the library customers, the friends, the babysitter? No you don't. It's another role you play. And you stay "in character" as long as you stay at your parents. What would happen if they called you "Ms Doe"? Or "Mom"? Or treated you like your boss treats you, or your colleagues or your friends? Very much "Out of Character", don't you think?

Soo... if you already do play roles in your daily life, and know what's appropriate and inappropriate in your certain roles, what "in character" and "out of character" means - how hard can it be to play roles elsewhere, like for example in SL?

I already mentioned somewhere else, that even in the girl-to-girl talks with my Mistress, we're not "eight" and "Lexi", but i'm her slave Gem no matter what, and she's my Mistress no matter what, being called "Mistress" by me no matter what. I know she didnt like it at first, even begged me to call her by her first name once in our first girl-to-girl time - but i can't, and she respected it, and i think grew used to it. Actually, i can't do that even when i'm online with one of my alts, or speaking with one of her alts. It's like... like your boss is always your boss even when they want you to treat them "as an equal". You just KNOW they are your boss, and act according to this knowledge.

In RP-terms, this though is called "using OOC knowledge IC" and is in most cases frowned upon.

Nonetheless "Gem the business owner" is slightly different than "Gem the slave" or "Gem the newbie mentor" or "Gem the partygirl". I can be more or less dominant with my Gorean alt "Lady Alexandra" - but when i'm speaking with my Mistress, i immediately turn into "Gem the slave". I can be rather happy-go-lucky with my handicapped RP alt "Sweet C" - but when i IM my Mistress, i become "Gem the slave" again. I can't really be OOC with my Mistress.

But let's go to actual ROLEPLAY now.

Let's say you have a teen avatar, are in a PG (or, "General") sim, in a RP school mirroring modern day RL. Now how do you act?

"Duh, like the others of course!", you say. Hm... Let's say you can rez there and you have vehicles in your inventory, like a car for example. Can you just rez it to go for a ride?

"Sure, it's SL after all" -- Erm, what? Sorry hun, but you're wearing a teen avatar, so you're supposed to act as a teen. And where did this your teen persona get the car from anyways?

"Hey I rezzed it, didnt you see?" No. All i saw was a car appearing in front of a teen, and the teen driving away with it. How old are you in this avatar?

"I'm over 18, silly!" No, inworld, in this teen avatar, you appear as a teen. That's why all I see is that you ARE a teen. Now choose an age.

"Okay, 13 then." Now would a 13y old drive a car, on school ground?

"Gosh, it's SL, you derp!" - No. It's ROLEPLAY. And you're supposed to play plausible. Or would you use machine guns on a Gor sim? Nope, or an airplane in a medieval sim? Neither.

As soon as you're in a roleplay sim, and not identifyable as a Visitor or Explorer or other OOC person, you're seen as "in character". Teen avatar on a school sim - you must be a student, right? How old are you in this avatar? 13? Can a 13yo drive a car on a public road? And... where did this car (PLAUSIBLY) come from? I haven't seen a garage nor a parking lot nor have I seen someone else (or an automatism) drive the car to the place you are.

If you're on a roleplay sim, try to be "in character". Like you play different roles whether you're at your job, with your boss, your clients, your kids, your spouse - play different roles according to where you are in SL.

Example: If I went to a Gor sim alone without changing to the robes of a Free Woman and making my collar invisible - what would happen, if I forgot the "Visitor" tag while being there? "Nothing", you say. "It's SL after all." And you'd be wrong. My collar says that i'm a slave. And if i went to SL-Gor as a slave, i would become involved in the Gor RP - as a slave, as a kajira or bondmaid, which means: having to obey everyone who's a Free Person. Even sexually. And no, I'm not planning to do that. If I just changed in the robes of a Free Woman without making the collar invisible, and it were seen that i'm wearing the collar, I would be treated as a runaway slave in the robes of a Free Woman - which would be my death sentence IC'ly. And I'm not planning to play my own killing either. So, nope.

Soo...Create a character, even if it's YOU yourself, projected or mirrored into your avatar.

And then stick with this character as long as you're online with this avatar. You can't pretend to be someone else entirely anyways, you'll always stay YOU - even while playing a role.

Even professional actors give their roles aspects of themselves: That's why it's a huge difference when you see let's say Dr. Who played by Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, T. Baker, Davison, C. Baker, McCoy, McGann, Eccleston, Tennant or Smith - and the difference is not only in the looks. Or James Bond played by the different actors. Or... Hamlet played by different actors. Everyone of them interprets their role differently. Same with the Jane Doe example above: Jane Doe as "Mooom!" would be her own interpretation of a mother, different to her own mother and other mothers she knows. As "Honey the lover" she would be her own interpretation of a lover, not the copy of someone else.

So, create yourself a "character" matching your avatar.

Are you wearing a male avatar while being a woman IRL, try act like a male version of you. Are you wearing a female avatar while being a man IRL, try act like a female version of you. Are you wearing a teen avatar while being adult IRL, try act like a teen version of you. With a child avatar, try act as if you were a child that age. With an animal avatar, try act like that animal would do - even if it could speak. Try acting like this better-looking, healthier, younger/older, […] version of you.

And THEN, think: What if *I* were this person who is my avatar, in this situation, in this environment - for reals? And then, BE PLAUSIBLE and blend in, and let this your "character" grow as you go.

Wherever you go in SL, think by yourself: Is what I do or how i'm dressed, or what i say, plausible and appropriate for the place? (like you prolly wouldnt go to work in RL with your Rave party outfit). Is there a way to appear as OOC when in a roleplay area? If not, try to be "in character" in respect to the RP place and its owners - like for example, follow the dress code even when there's nobody there at the moment you arrived there, or: in a church sim, try dress and act like in a RL church. In a school campus sim, try and act like in a RL school campus. In a BDSM adult sim, try act like in a RL BDSM club. In a Star Trek sim, try act as if you were part of the series or books. Try to be "in character". Always. At all times.

Or, in RP sims, make sure you're an OOC ("out of character") visitor by using double brackets when you speak to others - eg. "((hi, sorry to disturb your RP, could prolly someone help me?))" - or, better yet, contact one of the players in IM.

Don't be upset when they ignore you in the open chat. Would you want to be called out when you do something that is "absolutely not you" (hence, "Out of character")? Would you call one of your friends out if they act "OOC" - like "so not them"? No. you would spare you and them this embarrassment, and wish you would be spared it too, right?

So if you're in a RP area, and there are roleplayers, and they ignore you - watch your IMs, they might attempt to help you there.

I know it's TL'DR again - but hey, what do you expect of a writer? 😃

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThorinII said:

A very close friend of mine wrote a little essay about Roleplay some years ago. I got permission to post  a full quote here because she's not so active in these Forums anymore:

Please mention it is a gor view, I would not have wasted my time reading it then. The gors have a tradition of talking way to long about stuff no one asides them wants to know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Please mention it is a gor view, I would not have wasted my time reading it then. The gors have a tradition of talking way to long about stuff no one asides them wants to know.

Actually, Gem only seldom played Gor, and when she did, she played a Merchant, not a slave. As far as I know, she stopped playing on Gor entirely around Feb '12 anyway. But back then she was (and has been again since last year) a "TPE-slave" on a BDSM-themed sim, as in 24/7 Total Power Exchange - as much as that's even possible within SL.

And I think she has some very valid points in her essay, otherwise, I wouldn't have copied it here.

ETA: If you did read the post in its entirety, you would have seen that it's not a "Gor view", but that there are examples from RL, from a teen RP on a G-rated sim, and from her perspective in regards to her back-then Mistress too. However, I suspect you stopped reading when you skipped over the text and saw the word "Gor".

Edited by ThorinII

20 hours ago, ThorinII said:

Actually, [removed] only seldom played Gor...

Once a gor always a gor! Nothing they say is worth listening to no matter what topic they talk on.

I do not understand them. They uphold the strong believe that humans can be unfit to rule and unworthy of human interaction. I just return that favour. I share their believe but unlike them I do not judge folks by their birth circumstances but by their actions and choices. They willfully decided to throw their humanity overboard. So please let me treat them as the under-humans they have chosen to become - they after all reserve the same feelings for me.

And I cannot hear the excuse "but it is only a pasttime, we are not like this in real life" anymore. They are not because society lets them not. Don't tell me you can enjoy acting in this fictive world without accepting it's premises. If anyone would start an Islamic State roleplay most of us would look down on it, but gor is OK? Sorry, but it is not. For me both are the same.

I do not care that most women raped in gor sims are in reality guys behind the keyboard just in for a quick porn fix. Rape porn stays rape porn and is actually forbidden in most countries.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 1

As @ThorinII mentioned, I only rarely visited Gor: From '09 when I got interested in having a look into it, through Mid-'12, I was on Gor only 10 or 12 times in total - whenever I was neither at my back-then Mistress nor at the Community Gateway in FFH Land (which closed down in '09) or at NewBerlin, or exploring SL otherwise. And those times when I did visit Gor, I was always in the role of a Merchant, a so-called "Free Woman", with my collar set on Stealth - simply because I absolutely didn't want to play a kajira or bondmaid there at all, and didn't want to get too much involved in this RP anyways.

"Once a Gor always a Gor"? That's VERY biased, to put it mildly. 👿

Anyways, I had lots of other things to do in SL as well: When I was online back then, being with my Mistress as her sub (or rather TPE-slave) took most of my time, then being a newbie helper for 2 to 3 hours per day, too; and being a creator myself took some time, and exploring, and meeting friends and so on - there were times when I was inworld for 6 and more hours in a row. Per day.

However, after a hiatus due to health reasons, from late '12 through Mid-'14, I eventually did play a teenager on an alt until late '16 (to get ideas for the protagonist in one of my stories, I even named her after this protagonist), playing a student in a High School Roleplay - and at about the same time-frame also playing the daughter of an innkeeper in a Fantasy setting;

And I did play a handicapped person on another alt (mainly to see the reactions from others: I wanted to get ideas for another character in one of my stories) - until I found my way into the realms of D/s again, with some help and persuasion of my former RL-Dominant. :)

So I what I wrote 6.5 years ago in that blog post @ThorinII  quoted above, was not only based on my little Gor experience - but rather based on things I experienced in general.

Edited by eighthdwarf Checchinato
  • Like 3

Sheesh ... and to think I get asked by old friends on occasion why I rarely bother with Role Play in general these days ...

So many people that simply cannot tell the difference between In and Out of Character, that believe that what one chooses to RP has some bearing on their thought processes (and more) ...

The worst of these being those that try/pretend to Role Play ...

There is a difference between the Player and the Character, like it or not. I know a few people who play in/have played in Gor and guess what? *Gasp!* They do not believe in, follow or otherwise place any weight on the tenets of that environment.

I know, I know - it's such a hard concept to grasp, that the Player does not require any personal investment of any kind whatsoever to be able to play in a particular environment ... It is, in a way, no different than any Actor playing a role.

Seriously though?

I've made my views on Lawmakers and such legislating Fantasy interactions (among other, similar things) quite clear both here (the official forum) and elsewhere.

Putting it as nicely as I can: I have such a dim view of those unable to grasp the earlier mentioned division that a Black Hole would be considered "blindingly bright" in comparison.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fionalein said:

I do not care that most women raped in gor sims are in reality guys behind the keyboard just in for a quick porn fix. Rape porn stays rape porn and is actually forbidden in most countries.

Yes, this is disgusting. Do they use rapeseed oil for lubricant?

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 4:26 AM, lavalois said:

I wasn't taught on SL, most of my experience comes from IMVU.

Edited by chaosninja7

On 12/6/2018 at 9:19 AM, ThorinII said:

Godmodding would be, for example:

• Thorine hits XY straight in the face, making them stumble and fall down

I know this as Autohitting, not godmodding.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:26 PM, chaosninja7 said:

- Godmodding is having a character who is uber strong and zero weakness that cannot be killed. Everything can die. Even you.

Uber strong and 0 weaknesses = "GOD" modding. Kinda why it has the term God in the name.

again, i came from IMVU. Trust me when i say, way different over there.

On 12/11/2018 at 2:57 AM, eighthdwarf Checchinato said:

As @ThorinII mentioned, I only rarely visited Gor: From '09 when I got interested in having a look into it, through Mid-'12, I was on Gor only 10 or 12 times in total - whenever I was neither at my back-then Mistress nor at the Community Gateway in FFH Land (which closed down in '09) or at NewBerlin, or exploring SL otherwise. And those times when I did visit Gor, I was always in the role of a Merchant, a so-called "Free Woman", with my collar set on Stealth - simply because I absolutely didn't want to play a kajira or bondmaid there at all, and didn't want to get too much involved in this RP anyways.

"Once a Gor always a Gor"? That's VERY biased, to put it mildly. 👿

Anyways, I had lots of other things to do in SL as well: When I was online back then, being with my Mistress as her sub (or rather TPE-slave) took most of my time, then being a newbie helper for 2 to 3 hours per day, too; and being a creator myself took some time, and exploring, and meeting friends and so on - there were times when I was inworld for 6 and more hours in a row. Per day.

However, after a hiatus due to health reasons, from late '12 through Mid-'14, I eventually did play a teenager on an alt until late '16 (to get ideas for the protagonist in one of my stories, I even named her after this protagonist), playing a student in a High School Roleplay - and at about the same time-frame also playing the daughter of an innkeeper in a Fantasy setting;

And I did play a handicapped person on another alt (mainly to see the reactions from others: I wanted to get ideas for another character in one of my stories) - until I found my way into the realms of D/s again, with some help and persuasion of my former RL-Dominant. :)

So I what I wrote 6.5 years ago in that blog post @ThorinII  quoted above, was not only based on my little Gor experience - but rather based on things I experienced in general.

I never read the books so to me Gor is very very weird. TO ME, it just looks like slave simulator with no womens rights what so ever. Its a Man's world simulator.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, chaosninja7 said:

Its a Man's world simulator.

Pretty much.  It is John Norman's fantasy wish fulfillment.  Even with the Panther tribes it is still male wish fulfillment.

I read several of the books when I was a kid. FWIW, I actually know how to use a sword; the books are fantasy in every aspect.

What it does have going for it is a uniform set rules that everyone -- free or slave -- follows as defined by their roles.

• Like 1

It always astonished me that anyone could take it seriously. I mean, ok, it's written by a 500-year-old who thinks Doreen is a sexy name. And ok, it's set on a planet that's in Earth's own orbit but NASA can't find it. And ok, its inhabitants are capable of space travel and arresting the ageing process, but still fight with swords and spears. And ok, it's ruled by six foot tall golden insects.

But chock-full of beautiful women who keel over, legs akimbo, for a ginger from Bristol with a name like Tarl? Come on...let's keep it believable!

Though to be fair, a high proportion of Goreans have never read any book at all that wasn't machine washable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1