Daniel Voyager

Sansar is now officially on Steam

Good, after the inevitable trainwreck they will have more time to concentrate on SL in 2019 now.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Comment on Steam about Sansar:

"The developers are generally very attentive and responsive to user needs. You'll often find the CEO himself and other staffers hanging out in-world, which is really cool. I've been a part of online communities where the developers didn't even bother to use the software themselves, but that isn't the case here. It shows that they have a lot of confidence in the platform."

Compare with SL, where it's "File a JIRA" and bugs are ignored for years.

Tech support IS great. They are sometimes limited in what they can help with but in many cases things get fixed in the next update. 

We can see Steam's statistics for Sansar. Right now, 53 users. Peak in the last month, 72. 

For a sense of the size of the competition, Steam has about 12 million users logged in right now. To get into the top 100, you need about 3,300 concurrent users, to beat 100th place "Farming Simulator 17".

Second Life would rank in about 10th to 12th place on Steam, right around Grand Theft Auto V. 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, animats said:

Comment on Steam about Sansar:

"The developers are generally very attentive and responsive to user needs. You'll often find the CEO himself and other staffers hanging out in-world, which is really cool. I've been a part of online communities where the developers didn't even bother to use the software themselves, but that isn't the case here. It shows that they have a lot of confidence in the platform."

Compare with SL, where it's "File a JIRA" and bugs are ignored for years.

Take a closer look at the reviews. The positive reviews are mostly done by people who either created or talked to the developerers - so they are content creators. They invested and cannot afford to let it go down. Learn to read between the lines, @animats.

• Like 4

Entered Sansar the first time in 2017 and was heavily disappointed. Now, after the steam launch, i wanted to give it a try again. Especially because i followed Chics journal...
Well, to prevent myself to be bored inworld, i even redeemed the 45 day Marvelous Designer license.
Its just, Sansar wont let me in. I can login, but as soon as i click on "create new look" or "customize", nothing happens anymore, just that "loading" wheel turns, and turns and turns and turns.
Would you recommend the steam version rather than the direct download from sansar.com?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Entered Sansar the first time in 2017 and was heavily disappointed. Now, after the steam launch, i wanted to give it a try again. Especially because i followed Chics journal...
Well, to prevent myself to be bored inworld, i even redeemed the 45 day Marvelous Designer license.
Its just, Sansar wont let me in. I can login, but as soon as i click on "create new look" or "customize", nothing happens anymore, just that "loading" wheel turns, and turns and turns and turns.
Would you recommend the steam version rather than the direct download from sansar.com?

I would recommend you download the software from Sansar.com instead of doing it through Steam (the software is identical). The key difference is that, if you set up your Steam Wallet to buy Sansar dollars, Steam gets a cut. If you buy Sansar dollars using the non-Steam Sansar, Steam doesn't get a cut. Also, you won't be able to leave a review on Steam or participate in the Steam Community for Sansar if you are have not installed the Steam version and added at least $5.00 to your Steam Wallet. More details here: https://ryanschultz.com/2018/12/05/its-official-sansar-has-launched-on-steam/

I am staying put with my non-Steam version until I see a compelling reason to be on Steam.

Oh, and Fionalein, many of those "biased" thumbs-up reviews are from content creators AND consumers who enjoy the platform and like the direction it is going in. No, Sansar is not out of beta yet, and there is still lots fo development work to be done. But things are looking pretty good overall (despite my bitching about missing features on my blog every now and then).

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Yours isn't a typical issue (at least no one has reported on Discord) and if you are using the same website version of the client (viewer) then that isn't it. If you have been gone a LONG time there may have been some issue with the updater?  I don't know. Best thing to to send in a report (called REQUEST in case you forgot) to support and ask what to do. It could be a cache thing also.  They will likely know.  It is the weekend so if you are in a hurry, then you try uninstalling (clean) and reinstalling but I don't KNOW that will fix anything.

While you are waiting you can read up and play with Marvelous Designer -- that will take up some time for sure and lots of fun.

Good luck. Things have changed a LOT in the 4.5 months I have been there so imagine they are very different from when you were there. 

OH, one other thing you might try if you haven't is going to an experience and THEN going into the Lookbook?  Not sure that will make a difference. I was in there yesterday changing clothes with no issues. 

PS. Going through STEAM just adds more error messages to folks that already have the Sansar viewer from before. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

8 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Take a closer look at the reviews. @animats

When I looked yesterday, there was only one negative review. Today, there are seven. Users with long Steam histories are now commenting.

"Peak concurrent users" is still stuck at 72.

Some Sansar users complain of a troll problem. Great comparison with SL: "lol yea, in SL basically trolls got nothing and the vast majority are gone, they became fodder, not only can they easily be banned by the Lab or even just property owner, for doing stupid stuff, they can be silenced, disarmed, and crunched into a little ball, if they're on someone else's land that has the tools lol..."

Incidentally, LL also has their Blocksworld (sort of like Minecraft) on Steam. It has 11 users.

Edited by animats

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Screenshot by a Steam user of Sansar. LL wanted Sansar to be less racy than SL, but this is ridiculous. Who put the extreme religious right in charge of clothing options? (And what's with the water being so clear? Even SL does that better.)

Edited by animats

5 hours ago, animats said:

(And what's with the water being so clear? Even SL does that better.)

All water in Sansar is user created. You can find murky water there too. It just depends on what the creator wants to use.

5 hours ago, animats said:

LL wanted Sansar to be less racy than SL, but this is ridiculous. Who put the extreme religious right in charge of clothing options?

You can find sexier clothing in Sansar. Take a look at the store. Clothing options aren't all Victorian. 

Here's a swimsuit I sell in Sansar.

clothing2.png.3bb204d33d46cd2249d94b7c2b87e945.png

It's not racy but it's not Victorian either. And for something a little more spicy I made this dress.

clothing1.thumb.png.909b2f124989076a214f31d8554bc712.png

Again, it's really in the hands of the creators as to what they want to create. LL painted on the underwear and we have to work with those but they aren't like granny panties.

35 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

You can find sexier clothing in Sansar. Take a look at the store. Clothing options aren't all Victorian.

Now take a look at the male clothing options Blush. And it's not just the female clothing that is better, the female avatar looks about 10 years younger, maybe in her late 30s instead of the late 40s of the male.

Bad, old looking, male avatars with creepy clothing.

385116b06b800d921a9a602268b634fa.gifsteve.duckduckgo_com.jpg.c8061ac8731113e239b1188f43eba54f.jpg

• Haha 1

You put me in a very awkward position to defend the Sansar avatars. :P

But I have to be fair. Though I'm unhappy with the avatar and believe it has much room for improvement. I don't think they are as bad as you represent them. It's the same here in SL. You can have a great looking avatar or well ... ummm .. not so nice looking avatar. You have to put some work into it.

So I ran over to Sansar to take some pics and also to check out how my MD clothing was fitting after what Chic had said earlier. Good news on the MD stuff is that I didn't have any issues with the few pieces I tried on and played with in the lookbook.

So here's Debi as a man.

male2.thumb.jpg.f82293226f06f0330b82e160d2c292d9.jpg

There is a saying that clothes makes the man nothing is more true in Sansar. These slimming clothes look much better than some of the default clothing. Here I'm wearing default pants and shoes along with free hair on the store and a shirt I made in MD.

male3.thumb.jpg.27709b04619b92a8e42bd55334ee4755.jpg

I've added a pair of very inexpensive glasses from the store and a free hair.

male1.thumb.jpg.dcf294962b5c46a8c79bd8525b132405.jpg

Playing around with the face sliders I was able to get a rather pleasant look I think. If only we could use custom skins it would really make a huge difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Good news on the MD stuff is that I didn't have any issues with the few pieces I tried on and played with in the lookbook.

Sorry. Bad news is that things look FINE in the Lookbook (well pretty fine anyway) but they break inworld. (Sorry I wasn't clear on that.)  Solas was the one that alerted me to that. The VR folks of course move much more than the desktop folks, but lots of clothing creators have been mentioning problems so except for things that have plenty of "air", there are issues. Tighter things like leggings are issues for sure. Some folks are marketing their clothes WHILE in adjust (so far as pictures) so that leads me to believe there are problems there too.

Also "some" things seem to have been decimated somehow and have some nasty creases that they didn't have previously. If we would have KNOW about "the new feature" we could have worked around it. Seems like it isn't just MD either. Traditional rigging has the same issues sometimes. 

Anything like your dress you showed is likely OK but I would test DANCING and SITTING. Apologize for the bad tidings. 

I think the guys can look pretty good too. It is about styling for sure --- and choices. 

It is a bit hard to work around our oh so tacky underwear (some white lacy numbers would be an improvement for sure) but you can do some things.  Honestly the default avatars in SL all come with painted on underwear also --- if we are going to compare "apples" with "apples" :D. 

Summer Fling Bikini Swimsuit Set - Black

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

I guess I should also add that my sales have definitely improved since the STEAM folks came in. I don't know that they ARE STEAM sales but there is a coincidence :D.  These are mostly H and G and not clothes. Quite a few of the STEAM folks have made "homes" for themselves so I think that is a good sign also. 

I didn't check my female clothing in world but I did walk around with the outfit I show in the pics and they seemed okay. But I really need to test further. There's always been an issue with really tight fitting clothes not doing well in world, but the creases .. that's new. I'll definitely give that a closer look.

I've noticed my clothing sells have stepped up nicely with the tie in to Steam. 

Edited by Blush Bravin

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

You put me in a very awkward position to defend the Sansar avatars. :P

If only we could use custom skins it would really make a huge difference. 

Heh, sorry! Didn't mean to put you on the spot, but you did well, thankyou.

The original point was still valid I think, there is less clothing on the store for males. Which will lead to an imbalance in gender.

As for the male, way, way better then my wrinkly Steve but a long way from the androgynous/twinky look I'd want. The bone structure is still very... "ex American Football Jock now past his prime".

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

male3.thumb.jpg.27709b04619b92a8e42bd55334ee4755.jpg324904477_download(94).thumb.jpeg.f28250a3c7992f5023462ff711995f44.jpeg

You did well Blush :) the less-buff older Arnie maybe!

Changing subject to the skins, I guess the Lab would have to automatically apply the two white granny-flap overlays as part of the upload process, rather then risk full frontal nudity.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

The original point was still valid I think, there is less clothing on the store for males. Which will lead to an imbalance in gender.

You know it's kinda funny but there seems to be more guys in Sansar than females, which is quite the opposite of how it is here in SL.

But I totally agree that it's not easy shopping for the guys. Seems that's the case in SL as well. Is it true for real life as well? Do you guys always get the short end of the stick when it comes to shopping for clothes?

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Is it true for real life as well?

No, but the genders are more balanced then in SL. SL is really weighted towards the distaff, and that also impacts the creative people. There are more of both. Males in SL have it very difficult as a number of people will say.

I hope that it's different in Sansar and there is a good balance. Lots of great clothing, and one day cute avatars :) Not sure how to tell the Lab it's likely an important point before they go too far, if they want to attract the non-creative via steam.

• Like 1

sansarchart.png.f7a2fd60f61baa793ab003065078f7e1.png

Sansar usage statistics so far. Still hasn't passed the record number of concurrent users, 72, from the first day.

Steam has about 4.4 million people playing some game right now. Sansar needs 3500 users to break into the top 100.  45,000 to break into the top 10.

In the game industry, success usually comes early or not at all. Red Dead Redemption 2 made US$750 million in the first 3 days. Most game sales are in the first 3 weeks. Sansar is in "early access", but what can they add that will get 100x or 1000x more users?

vrchatcompare.png

For comparison, VRchat. Closest thing on Steam to a direct Sansar competitor. VRChat peaked in the 2017-2018 holiday season at about 10,000 users. Then it leveled off around 5000, where it's been for most of 2018.

Edited by animats

7 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Do you guys always get the short end of the stick when it comes to shopping for clothes?

Yes, but SL is big enough that there's a good range of male clothing. You just have to look harder. Just like a mall in RL.