Viewer Not Responding problem

lomemori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I think it started happening few weeks ago. I use Firestorm-Release x64 5.1.7.55786, and viewer is keep freezing and becomes 'not responding' every several seconds. And then eventually crashes. This has been so annoying whenever I try to do something. Even I tested on sims that doesn't have high traffics, no objects, no people, and even I took off everything from my avatar. Also I tried setting up with graphics to lowest level. I'll be writing my desktop spec here. Is it just me having this problem? If it is, is it because something my desktop cannot handle with CPU and memory?

PC spec

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19GHz (12 CPUs) 8.00GB(RAM)

DirextX 12, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB.

12 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, lomemori said:

I think it started happening few weeks ago. I use Firestorm-Release x64 5.1.7.55786, and viewer is keep freezing and becomes 'not responding' every several seconds. And then eventually crashes. This has been so annoying whenever I try to do something. Even I tested on sims that doesn't have high traffics, no objects, no people, and even I took off everything from my avatar. Also I tried setting up with graphics to lowest level. I'll be writing my desktop spec here. Is it just me having this problem? If it is, is it because something my desktop cannot handle with CPU and memory?

PC spec

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19GHz (12 CPUs) 8.00GB(RAM)

DirextX 12, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB.

Open firestorm.  Don't log in.  go to HELP - ABOUT FIRESTORM and copy ALL the info here.  

Also are you on a laptop of PC?  Wireless or wired in?  Have you tried it on the SL viewer to compare?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Open firestorm.  Don't log in.  go to HELP - ABOUT FIRESTORM and copy ALL the info here.  

Also are you on a laptop of PC?  Wireless or wired in?  Have you tried it on the SL viewer to compare?  

Oh i'm using PC. And it's wireless. I haven't tried SL viewer yet. But I don't think internet connection wouldn't be problem, because when I try with my old laptop it doesn't freeze but laggy (of course my old laptop cannot handle with the viewer sadly, so i barely use SL on my laptop).

Firestorm 5.1.7 (55786) Jul 13 2018 22:34:51 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (3191.98 MHz)
Memory: 8079 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 23.21.13.9125
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 391.25

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 1.10.05
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1057 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 64 m
Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.5
Render quality: Low (1/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 1024 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2018-12-3T5:59:16 
Built with MSVC version 1800
December 05 2018 00:19:17 SLT

If you're able to, I would try connecting with wired ethernet connection (instead of wireless) just to see if that helps any.  I know that I've had problems sometimes with some applications using wireless, where the application will basically become unresponsive because it's trying to reconnect. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lomemori said:

Oh i'm using PC. And it's wireless.

Your info looks good to me (no expert though.  I am sure someone who is will be around eventually and your info will be useful this them)  I think your problem could be being wireless.  Is there any way you can try wired in to see the difference?

Your system is pretty beefy & should have no problems running Firestorm with all the bells & whistles.

Can you test to see if the LL viewer has the same problem?  You can download the LL viewer for testing here: Downloads | Second Life

Depending on the results of that test lets me know where to start troubleshooting.

I agree with Moira's theory, above, that it sounds like something to do with the internet connection.

Wired is always best, but if WiFi is your only option then at least make sure you're getting the strongest and best signal possible, with the least traffic. In other words, be sure to utilize the best wifi channel available from your home router's wifi. Neighbours may all be on the same channel, for all you know.

I use an app on my Android phone called 'WiFi Analyzer'. It shows the optimum channel to use. Once you know, you then access your router's wifi settings and change to the optimal channel. The difference can be significant.  

Edited by Candice LittleBoots
  • Like 1

This is going to sound weird, but I had this exact issue and it was a $5 fix: have you tried a different keyboard or mouse?

My mouse was going bad and that was causing the "stuttering" mentioned in the OP. And then eventually FS would crash. Agreed with what @Whirly Fizzle says: ALWAYS test with another viewer to make sure it's not something awry with the viewer itself. If you get the same result in any other viewer, then it's definitely something awry with your system.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Your info looks good to me (no expert though.  I am sure someone who is will be around eventually and your info will be useful this them)  I think your problem could be being wireless.  Is there any way you can try wired in to see the difference?

Sadly my room doesn't have port that i can connect with wired one. I mostly am at home alone due to multitasking alongside SL, but just in case maybe I need to reset the router? I have no idea why is this happening all of a sudden (since last few weeks), but thank you very much for the supporting. It sounds like connection problem takes high percentages of possibility.

14 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Your system is pretty beefy & should have no problems running Firestorm with all the bells & whistles.

Can you test to see if the LL viewer has the same problem?  You can download the LL viewer for testing here: Downloads | Second Life

Depending on the results of that test lets me know where to start troubleshooting.

Yes, I can give it a try. I thought reason why I changed into Firestorm was LL viewer wasn't working that good as Firestorm. But if the LL doesn't make any issue with freezing repetition, I think I suppose delete registry keys when reinstalling Firestorm. But thank you so much!

6 hours ago, lomemori said:

Sadly my room doesn't have port that i can connect with wired one. I mostly am at home alone due to multitasking alongside SL, but just in case maybe I need to reset the router? I have no idea why is this happening all of a sudden (since last few weeks), but thank you very much for the supporting. It sounds like connection problem takes high percentages of possibility.

worth a try resetting it and yes in this day and age you would think within your own home wireless would be no problem but same here with my son's PC upstairs.. I ended up having a friend lay a cable up there to stop his constant Mum reset the router cries.. :/  Good Luck 

It's not all that hard to install ethernet cables.  As  a quick and dirty workaround, you can get a 100 foot cable, already made up with end connectors.  Just run it like a long extension cord from your router, along the floors or ceiling, through doorways, to your PC.

If you have a basement or a crawl space, you can run cables there, and drill holes or follow air ducting to get them up into the home.

If you're having some electrical work done, consider asking the electrician how much he'd charge to run some cabling for you.

When we remodeled our house, my Resident Geek took the opportunity to make up high speed cabling and wall ports while the walls were opened up.  We have Ethernet connections in every room of the basement and the main floor, and four network hubs.

• Like 2

I have a very similar computer , 1060 - i5-6600k, but with 32GB of ram. It works very well with FS & SL. I do have more problems with FS than with the SL viewer. But, that is like once a day at most.

You are running 64-bit viewer and Windows so that eliminates a bunch of causes for your type of issues.

Before I built this computer I was running with SL & FS in 8GB of ram. I was crashing and had frequent mini-freezes in both viewers. I bumped it up to 16GB and most of the crashes and mini-freezes stopped. Most meaning from like several freezes per hour to none for a week or more. Crashes went from several a day to 1 or 2 a week.

You can get HDMonitor (Hardware Monitor) a free program to check component temperatures and overall memory use. Another free program MemHistory will show you which and how much memory programs are using. Don't be surprised if it looks like you have plenty of free memory while running FS with 8GB and yet you may have a memory problem. Also look in your System's Resource Monitor, Memory tab, for Page Faults. This should be a low number, like <50/sec and 0 ideally. More memory should reduce these rates.

A page fault happens when the system thinks it is running out of memory. Some times the amount of free memory is misleading as it may be fragmented memory... lots of small blocks of free memory adding up to a large amount. A request for a large block of memory can't be met as there is no single block large enough, so in-use-memory is thrown onto the disk (page file) to make room for the request. These memory swaps often are what generate the mini-freezes.

More memory, fewer programs running in background, and computer restarts all reduce the problem. Look through these possibilities to see if they help before you try to add memory.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.