Jump to content
MishaC25

Question about closing premium account and how long SL holds onto yourhome

Recommended Posts

HI. I'm not closing my account, but I have a question.

Let's say a person closes their premium account first thing Monday, morning. Would SL move a brand new person who has just gotten a premium account, into that same exact home just a couple hours later? Doesn't SL hold onto a person's home for 30 days etc in case a person changes their mind?

Also, can you change the name of your residence? Like mine is Misha's Oasis, could I change that name if I wanted to? Thank you for answering my questions. I appreciate it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would you get the benefits of a premium account if you've downgraded?

Edit:  I misread the posting and thought you meant downgrading, but it seems you meant deactivation.  Serves me right for reading the forum when I've just woken up :D

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question isn't about me at all. I'm just wondering if SL would move a brand new person into that same home a couple hours later. I didn't even think the processing of closing an account happened that fast. From everything i've read, it take 30 days to cancel an account, and a person can decide during that time if they want to reactivate.

Take for example me, I signed up and received my home. I deactivated my account a few days later, because i found SL a little overwhelming at the time. SL didn't get rid of my home or anything, and I visited my home every day during that time too. They told me they hold onto homes for 30 days in case a person wants to reactivate . I ended up reopening my account a few days later, and my home was all there with all of my stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MishaC25 said:

 

Take for example me, I signed up and received my home. I deactivated my account a few days later, because i found SL a little overwhelming at the time. SL didn't get rid of my home or anything, and I visited my home every day during that time too. They told me they hold onto homes for 30 days in case a person wants to reactivate . I ended up reopening my account a few days later, and my home was all there with all of my stuff.

I am confused, as this seems to have answered your own question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tarani Tempest said:

I am confused, as this seems to have answered your own question.

it confuses me too, because it would mean LL did change the policies. Normally you had to abandon lands and homes before being even able to downgrade to basic.

with this line: " They told me they hold onto homes for 30 days .." i lost it totally .. are we really speaking about Premium homes or a private rental?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

it confuses me too, because it would mean LL did change the policies. Normally you had to abandon lands and homes before being even able to downgrade to basic.

with this line: " They told me they hold onto homes for 30 days .." i lost it totally .. are we really speaking about Premium homes or a private rental?

I dont know Misha's situation, but example: what if person pays quartery Premium, lets say for example December + January + February, and then they decide to leave SL and ask for deleting their account in the middle of December? I guess LL will not refund anything, so the LL house was pre-payed until end of February, the account is on hold for 30 days until half of January, so it looks like the home can stay on hold as well, because the Premium benefit still last?

Just thought and wild guess. But makes to me common sense not to ask users to leave LL home when they are still Premium and will be until their very end, because it would mean to refuse to give Premium benefit to Premium user.  (Maybe its not Micha's situation at all, I just wonder how it would be in situation I described).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, loverdag said:

 it looks like the home can stay on hold as well, because the Premium benefit still last?

yes but thats strange because it was rule you have ( or perhaps hád?) to abandon the home before you even could be able to downgrade.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

yes but thats strange because it was rule you have ( or perhaps hád?) to abandon the home before you even could be able to downgrade.

In my understanding "to downgrade" means to become basic account and then would be logical to lose Premium benefits - but it would not happen in situation I described, the account would not change from Premium to basic - it would stay Premium until it would be removed from the grid (deleted / deactivated). So it doesn't look like rule for downgrade should apply on that. But I'm just thinking out loud, I don't know how it really works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, loverdag said:

In my understanding "to downgrade" means to become basic account and then would be logical to lose Premium benefits - but it would not happen in situation I described, the account would not change from Premium to basic - it would stay Premium until it would be removed from the grid (deleted / deactivated). So it doesn't look like rule for downgrade should apply on that. But I'm just thinking out loud, I don't know how it really works.

no it ( before )never was possible to click the downgrade button before you abandoned the land/house, not even after a year payment and only used one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

no it ( before )never was possible to click the downgrade button before you abandoned the land/house, not even after a year payment and only used one day.

But you do not click that?

You click "delete account" - on the bottom:

 delete.jpg.f34782bf9c5a1086d3177d31fcbed43f.jpg

I won't try, it looks to dangerous to play with ...but its completelly different part of menu. What you say is in same menu under Premium membership.

 

Edited by loverdag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, loverdag said:

But you do not click that?

You click "delete account" - on the bottom:

 delete.jpg.f34782bf9c5a1086d3177d31fcbed43f.jpg

I won't try, it looks to dangerous to play with ...but its completelly different part of menu. What you say is in same menu under Premium membership.

 

something/sombody is confused here, not talking about deleting accounts but about downgrading in the first post from OP.


Think the confusment we make is mixing the OP question with the later reply.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mishas post wasnt clear, I think they maybe arent aware the difference, its why I made my own example - and it was about deleting account during "premium period".

Anyways if something is "on hold" as Misha said, I beleive its about deleting account as well, because when you just downgrade from Premium to basic, there is no such a thing like account (or house) on hold for 30 days. At least I didn't see anyhting like that when I had basic account (after Premium) myself. I automatically became basic when the payed premium period ended and it was all, nothing else happened. It makes me think Misha originaly wanted "to delete", not "to downgrade".

Edited by loverdag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is confusing but if you are a premium member with a Linden home and you want to downgrade to basic, unless there's been a change in the rules that I haven't heard about, you can't downgrade to basic unless you abandon your home first and it's possible your home could be given to another person right after you get rid of it 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning, and before I say anything, I want to thank you all so much, for responding and trying to answer my question. I appreciate it!!

I know I didn't give much information to go on, but part of it is because I'm really (really) embarrassed about this. My question here is not about downgrading at all. It's strictly about a premium member closing their SL account, permanently.

I'll explain the basis for my question, so it all makes sense. But please, go easy on me, I hate admitting to all this.

I met someone on here about a month ago. It was my second day on SL. I'll call him Bob. He was new here too, i think he was here a week or two before me. Anyway, from the moment we met we were on here everyday spending an inordinate amount of time together. We just clicked, and in that amount of time he shared a lot of very intimate, very personal details of his life that he's never shared with anyone. He told me about his family, his issues with socializing with people in RL, and he told me something that he's never told anyone before about an incident in the military that left him with issues... He also shared about a serious medical condition he was diagnosed with four months ago. I listened for countless hours to all of it, and believed every word he said.

I have a friend on here who's been on SL for a very long time, for over 10 years, and she believed he was catfishing me from day one. She was suspicious of him. Well, this past Saturday night he told me he was misdiagnosed four months ago,, and that he doesnt have that condition he told me he had. He now has a brainstem glioma, and only has days/weeks to live. And because of that he and I can no longer talk anymore, because it would be too painful for him and for me.

I can just imagine the eye rolling going on right now. But i believed him. He left me this long message Saturday night saying how he fell in love with me and how he never expected to, and that he wants me to remember him and the fun we had and the intimacy and tenderness we shared with each other etc. I was heartbroken and  I hate to admit this but i cried all night that night. He has no family down where he lives,, and no friends he is telling about his cancer, so I had offered to go down there to help him through it, but he said no, it would be too painful for him and me to go through. He said he would soon be losing his speech and his memory and he doesn't want me to see him for the first time like that. He refused to give me a phone number or email address. He refused to speak on the chat too...

He said that on Monday morning (yesterday), first thing, he was going to be finalizing all of his financial affairs, and closing his SL account.  I've never heard from him since his Saturday night message to me.

Since I knew he was closing his SL account yesterday morning, I teleported over to his place for one last time, to sadly look around and remember the moments we had.

But when I teleported in, I saw his home looked completely different. It IS completely different. There's all new furniture, and a bar set up, wall art, and a new bed that doesn't have any positions. lol

So, I am left wondering what just happened.

One last thing, and this may be key. The day before he told me about the cancer diagnosis, i had shared with him my friend on SL who's been on here a long time, believed he was cat fishing me, but that I knew what he was saying was the truth. I wonder if those two things are related.

Also, the day after i got the Saturday night breakup message, a guy out of the blue messaged me, and said hello and within minutes he called me the same nickname Bob called me, and the way he writes and says things is almost identical. I'm telling you it's the same person.

 I've learned my lesson through all of this, and I learned it fast. I will never let myself get that close to anyone again, and I will not be dumb on the internet anymore. It's just not worth it.

 

Edited by MishaC25
edited for typo and to add a sentence
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MishaC25 said:

Good morning, and before I say anything, I want to thank you all so much, for responding and trying to answer my question. I appreciate it!!

I know I didn't give much information to go on, but part of it is because I'm really (really) embarrassed about this. My question here is not about downgrading at all. It's strictly about a premium member closing their SL account, permanently.

I'll explain the basis for my question, so it all makes sense. But please, go easy on me, I hate admitting to all this.

I met someone on here about a month ago. It was my second day on SL. I'll call him Bob. He was new here too, i think he was here a week or two before me. Anyway, from the moment we met we were on here everyday spending an inordinate amount of time together. We just clicked, and in that amount of time he shared a lot of very intimate, very personal details of his life that he's never shared with anyone. He told me about his family, his issues with socializing with people in RL, and he told me something that he's never told anyone before about an incident in the military that left him with issues... He also shared about a serious medical condition he was diagnosed with four months ago. I listened for countless hours to all of it, and believed every word he said.

I have a friend on here who's been on SL for a very long time, for over 10 years, and she believed he was catfishing me from day one. She was suspicious of him. Well, this past Saturday night he told me he was misdiagnosed four months ago,, and that he doesnt have that condition he told me he had. He now has a brainstem glioma, and only has days/weeks to live. And because of that he and I can no longer talk anymore, because it would be too painful for him and for me.

I can just imagine the eye rolling going on right now. But i believed him. He left me this long message Saturday night saying how he fell in love with me and how he never expected to, and that he wants me to remember him and the fun we had and the intimacy and tenderness we shared with each other etc. I was heartbroken and  I hate to admit this but i cried all night that night. He has no family down where he lives,, and no friends he is telling about his cancer, so I had offered to go down there to help him through it, but he said no, it would be too painful for him and me to go through. He said he would soon be losing his speech and his memory and he doesn't want me to see him for the first time like that. He refused to give me a phone number or email address. He refused to speak on the chat too...

He said that on Monday morning (yesterday), first thing, he was going to be finalizing all of his financial affairs, and closing his SL account.  I've never heard from him since his Saturday night message to me.

Since I knew he was closing his SL account yesterday morning, I teleported over to his place for one last time, to sadly look around and remember the moments we had.

But when I teleported in, I saw his home looked completely different. It IS completely different. There's all new furniture, and a bar set up, wall art, and a new bed that doesn't have any positions. lol I looked at the furniture and saw the owner is a woman who's been on SL for 2 years. She's also changed the name of my friend's home address.

So, I am left wondering what just happened. I don't know SL enough to if there's more possibilities. I have a couple of guesses. If anyone can add anything to my list please do.

What happened:

1. I was dealing with an alt avatar of someone one SL, and I was being catfished, and they came up with a phony out because they developed a conscience.

2. Somebody is squatting in his house, seems very unlikely..

3.  I have no other guesses....Remember this is not a downgrade. He supposedly closed his SL premium account early yesterday morning.

One last thing, and this may be key. The day before he told me about the cancer diagnosis, i had shared with him my friend on SL who's been on here a long time, believed he was cat fishing me, but that I knew what he was saying was the truth. I wonder if those two things are related.

Also, the day after i got the Saturday night breakup message, a guy out of the blue messaged me, and said hello and within minutes he called me the same nickname Bob called me, and the way he writes and says things is almost identical. I'm telling you it's the same person.

 I've learned my lesson through all of this, and I learned it fast. I will never let myself get that close to anyone again, and I will not be dumb on the internet anymore. It's just not worth it.

 

I am sorry you are going through all this.  I am sure everyone is going to tell you very similar stories to yours.  Whatever way you look at it, its not a good thing; either you were tricked or your friend is seriously ill.   I just wanted to offer a hug.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Cindy. I could use the hug. I could use lots of them right now. I'm trying so hard not to think about this, because the thought of him sitting at home all lone, with no one to help him hurts me so much.  I pray I was duped, and that he was just screwing around with me.

 

Edited by MishaC25
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MishaC25 said:

If he wasn't, how could anyone just move all their furniture in and take over the place, the very morning he closed his SL account? It doesn't seem possible...

If its a Linden home, people can move in and out of those 5 times a day. Abandoning and choosing again until you get one you are happy with.   If he abandoned his, it could be pure coincidence someone got that particular home hours later.  Its not impossible. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MishaC25 said:

Also, the day after i got the Saturday night breakup message, a guy out of the blue messaged me, and said hello and within minutes he called me the same nickname Bob called me, and the way he writes and says things is almost identical. I'm telling you it's the same person.

That sound very much like the answer. In your place, I would assume that it's the same person and have nothing to do with him. If it's just coincidence, it wouldn't matter. But, if it's not coincidence, then the person has you in his sights and you need to get away from it, especially by starting and using a new account so that there's never any question in your mind about guys you meet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MishaC25 said:

He said that on Monday morning (yesterday), first thing, he was going to be finalizing all of his financial affairs, and closing his SL account.  I've never heard from him since his Saturday night message to me.

Since I knew he was closing his SL account yesterday morning, I teleported over to his place for one last time, to sadly look around and remember the moments we had.

But when I teleported in, I saw his home looked completely different. It IS completely different. There's all new furniture, and a bar set up, wall art, and a new bed that doesn't have any positions. lol I looked at the furniture and saw the owner is a woman who's been on SL for 2 years. She's also changed the name of my friend's home address.

I am sorry that you had this as one of your first experiences here in SL.   

In regards to the his account and the house, as Cindy mentioned above you can abandon a Linden home when ever you want, and then select a new one if you want, right afterwards (and do that up to 5 times a day).  I would hazard a guess that he didn't really close his account at all - just that he abandoned the home that you had been to.  He may have several accounts that he alternates between for when he thinks he's been 'found out' by someone. 

Be really careful about who you give RL information out to (and how much RL info you give out) especially when someone is sharing the type of information that this "Bob" was, especially right off the bat on meeting you. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He said he closed his account. Now it happens that I closed one of my avatars and kept the email. So I have a description now of what happens if you close an account:

Dear Theo Cheng,

Your Second Life account has been successfully canceled. You will not be
billed further membership fees for access to Second Life; however Premium
Members will be responsible for Land Use Fees, based on peak usage, until
your account is expired. (Full details on land use fees can be found at:
http://secondlife.com/whatis/landpricing.php) You'll be able to access
Second Life on this account until the actual expiration date of your paid
account: 2018-10-29.

After expiration, we'll put your account into hibernation for 60 days.
We'll hold on to all of your in-world stuff for awhile, so if you
reactivate within 30 days, everything will be pretty much where you left
it. We'll keep your inventory and avatar a bit longer, so if you return
within 60 days you'll still be you!  If you want to reactivate your account
during the 60 day period, you can do so at any time just by visiting
https://secondlife.com/account.  However, there will be a reactivation
charge based on your original account type.

Thanks - we hope to see you back in Second Life,

Linden Lab and the Second Life Team
http://www.secondlife.com

Linden Research, Inc.
945 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
USA

P.S. If you have received this email in error, please contact us at
https://secondlife.com/support. We apologize for the inconvenience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...

It would take a truly sick individual to tell me the things I was told by Bob and have it not be real. Bob went into a very heartfelt and descriptive detail of his time in Afghanistan, that took 4 hours to tell me, and how im the only person in the world he's told. A total disgrace to vets who actually did do 4 tours that Bob claimed to have done, to deep into extensive family history of cancer, how he never had a relationship in 15years since his first love broke up with him with a dear John letter after he enlisted. And to his daily description of his neurological symptoms he had, his misdiagnosis of Parkinson's. He also wanted to cuddle for hours at a time on his couch, saying my laying there with him brought him a peace and a tenderness he'd never experiences in his entire life.

Edited by MishaC25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MishaC25 said:

Right now I have access to the landmark, and I'm going to lay low and see what i can find.

Let it go or it will eat you up :(  Be very careful with this new person who messaged you out of the blue.  Tell him nothing, especially nothing about Bob because if it should be Bob you will be feeding his nasty mind.  If it was me and I was suspicious of the new guy, I would try a few tricks of my own  eg say got to go, this isn't my main account. Need to log onto that to meet someone byeeee and log.  Just one example of what I would do ;)  First and foremost though, let it go and look after you.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Cindy, I gave Bob my cell, (uuuugh I know but he said he was soon going to lose the use of his hands and I thought we could talk on the phone) and my email associated with SL which is an address only for SL. I've learned SO much from this situation, and I will never allow myself to be duped again. I'm not cynical, just my eyes are wide open.

 

 

Edited by MishaC25
corrected information in my post, changed the date from Dec of 03 to Dec 3rd (yesterday)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The woman has nothing to do with it. Period. End of story. I just got done talking to her, extensively.

If there's one thing I am 100% sure of, is she has absolutely nothing to do with what happened.

She didn't mince any words or pull any punches. She thinks I'm a f'g idiot, worse than an idiot to have believed this guy. But she's seen it all over the years, and this was my first time on SL and in a situation like this.

Cindy, if you could, please delete the part of my quote in your post that refers to her. I've edited my posts to take references of her out. Thanks. I am done now searching for answers to what happened. It is what it is. I will never know for sure, because there's no way to know. I just have to make peace with it and move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×