Jump to content
Maverick Bowenford

anyone else sick of the new "norm"

Recommended Posts

The OP's list of categories reminded me of something Jon Ronson talked about in his (eta: podcast) The Butterfly Effect, about the rippling consequences of algorithms and search engines on the p=rn industry. In short, the producers are all chasing as many keywords as possible leading to lots of certain categories and less and less of what used to be the generic mainstream. The result is 25 year old p=rn actresses unable to get work in the industry because they can't be keyworded as either "teen" or "mature".

Could these sorts of factors be in play amongst the sex sims?

Edited by Bitsy Buccaneer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Could these sorts of factors be in play amongst the sex sims?

Spam keywords are silly, and very counter productive.

The google search appliance the lab uses for new-search detects keyword spamming and rate it down to the bottom of the list of places returned, just like it does for websites that do the same thing.  On the other hand, the search appliance will rate up a parcel description that is a meaningful sentence with the most weight added to the first words.

Part of the problem could be that the people owning the sex places use classic-search to get traffic numbers, but then forget that's not the way a huge slice of SL do it.

They really need to look at SEO techniques.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Spam keywords are silly, and very counter productive.

Jon Ronson wasn't talking about spamming keywords.

His subject was the ways in which search functions and algorithms have affected what's now offered in the first place. Generic, middle of the road offerings aren't being produced much because they get lost in the listing algorithms even though they might have fairly broad appeal. Instead the producers are casting and filming to fill niches because those will show up.

The things the OP listed (AFK, BBC, Findom) are those sorts of niches, so I'm wondering if this side effect of algorithms on the p=rn industry is also at play in SL. It might be something as simple as sim owners replicating what they see on p=rn sites.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Jon Ronson wasn't talking about spamming keywords.

His subject was the ways in which search functions and algorithms have affected what's now offered in the first place. Generic, middle of the road offerings aren't being produced much because they get lost in the listing algorithms even though they might have fairly broad appeal. Instead the producers are casting and filming to fill niches because those will show up.

The things the OP listed (AFK, BBC, Findom) are those sorts of niches, so I'm wondering if this side effect of algorithms on the p=rn industry is also at play in SL. It might be something as simple as sim owners replicating what they see on p=rn sites.

It is not keyword SPAM it is evolution. Before the internet they had to live with whatever their local smutshops had on offer, those titles in the middle of the road had something for everyone... So if you had to invest your limited money into something you would like to resell you took the ones which had the potential to satisfy most of your customer's needs. Now we have search engines and everyone can get exactely what they want - algorithms evalue the searches and come up with new yet undiscovered markets. I am pretty sure if you abstract it you will find it applies to netflix vs old cable TV and other cases as well - not just p*rn.

Edited by Fionalein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

It is not keyword SPAM it is evolution. Before the internet they had to live with whatever their local smutshops had on offer, those titles in the middle of the road had something for everyone... So if you had to invest your limited money into something you would like to resell you took the ones which had the potential to satisfy most of your customer's needs. Now we have search engines and everyone can get exactely what they want - algorithms evalue the searches and come up with new yet undiscovered markets. I am pretty sure if you abstract it you will find it applies to netflix vs old cable TV and other cases as well - not just p*rn.

Actually no.

The point Ronson was making (and I'm trying to convey, apparently rather in vain) is that the 'middle of the road' (for lack of a better term, which is why it doesn't fit into the algorithms) is getting pushed out by niche material.

Ronson's research and podcast was more about the effects of this on those who work in the industry, but the corollary is that those whose preferences fall into this middle of the road territory have increasingly fewer options. That 'most of your customer's needs' area is no longer being met because it's not getting produced because it gets lost in the algorithms.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Callum Meriman said:

Hmm, ok I misunderstood your meaning Bitsy! sorry :)

I will have to read up on that idea :)

Thanks Callum :)

Ronson released this as a podcast called The Butterfly Effect. I don't know how much of it he or other people have talked about in print sources. It's around 7 episodes so it doesn't take all that long to listen to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Ronson released this as a podcast called The Butterfly Effect. I don't know how much of it he or other people have talked about in print sources. It's around 7 episodes so it doesn't take all that long to listen to.

There is a psychological thriller movie called The Butterfly Effect.  I've been trying to figure out how this all fits into that.  I didn't realize there was also a podcast with the same name

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There is a psychological thriller movie called The Butterfly Effect.  I've been trying to figure out how this all fits into that.  I didn't realize there was also a podcast with the same name

sorry, i've edited that it's a podcast into my first post now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait a bit, aren't Femdom and Findom seperate things, or am I confused? Help?

I'm scared of AFK, because I don't want to risk my account because some griefer was bored and determined enough to switch to a kid avatar, then have a alt screenshot and AR the results.

BBC, on the other hand, it makes me wonder how many of both the guys and the girls are actually white guys, particularly those who belong to a certain internet demograph who use chicken clucking as thier go-to insult, and have the audacity call furries perverts, when it's very obvious that they are obsessed with a particular fetish to the point that it's the origin of said insult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There is a psychological thriller movie called The Butterfly Effect.  I've been trying to figure out how this all fits into that.  I didn't realize there was also a podcast with the same name

 

It is a popular concept from chaos theory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect a lot of things name themselves aftr popular phenomenons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

It is a popular concept from chaos theory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect a lot of things name themselves aftr popular phenomenons.

Well yes, but that concept doesn't really have much to do with what Bitsy was talking about, hence my confusion at first.  The Butterfly Effect phenomenon in that article and the movie are not quite the same as the stuff talked about in the podcast, and thus not really related to keywords for searches.

ETA:  I actually loved that movie, btw, but the sequels were horrid.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The Butterfly Effect phenomenon in that article and the movie are not quite the same as the stuff talked about in the podcase, and thus not really related to keywords for searches.

Fancy names don't need to make sense ;)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well yes, but that concept doesn't really have much to do with what Bitsy was talking about, hence my confusion at first.  The Butterfly Effect phenomenon in that article and the movie are not quite the same as the stuff talked about in the podcast, and thus not really related to keywords for searches.

ETA:  I actually loved that movie, btw, but the sequels were horrid.

In his research for the podcast/audio book, Ronson found and followed many ripples with unexpected consequences which came from the a starting point, ie the butterfly effect. The list in the OP reminded me of one of those ripples and because it was unexpected, I thought others would be interested in learning about it.

It does seem I wasn't up to explaining it clearly enough and I'm still struggling to so I think I'll give up. If anyone's interested, it's easy enough to find through places like Audible or itunes.

What the OP has observed may come from unintended and unexpected changes in the p=rn industry. That's what I had hoped to put forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On what I suspect is the actual intent of the OP...

Equality looks like oppression to the privileged.

If things are starting to balance away from one's privileged POV... then it can look like "suddenly it's all kinds of other people all up in this mess" because a status of having 99% dominance has suddenly rapidly dipped to a shockingly low 98%...

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 1:14 PM, Magnek Fang said:

Wait a bit, aren't Femdom and Findom seperate things, or am I confused? Help?

I'm scared of AFK, because I don't want to risk my account because some griefer was bored and determined enough to switch to a kid avatar, then have a alt screenshot and AR the results.

BBC, on the other hand, it makes me wonder how many of both the guys and the girls are actually white guys, particularly those who belong to a certain internet demograph who use chicken clucking as thier go-to insult, and have the audacity call furries perverts, when it's very obvious that they are obsessed with a particular fetish to the point that it's the origin of said insult.

Yes and no they are different but often thought as the same or lumped together. A Femdom may be a findom but not all female dom's aka domme's are findoms. Its basically a few bad apples that get everyone who then uses the same term being lumped together and seen as the same even when they are not.

Just like a slave is a sub but not all subs are slaves, yet there are many dom/me's that think if you are a sub then you are as slave too.

Toward your fear there is not a lot that can be done about that unless they have active members to monitor who does come in and out of the area and kicks anyone that changes to a child avatar. But that same sort of behavior could happen no matter where you are. someone would find you afk in world and do that even if not at a afk sim. They could find you and position their avatar with animations to make it look like you were doing things even if clothes are on and just adjust the camera view and distance and then attempt to ar it at that time.

Staying logged in to sl and being afk is risky, unless fully clothed and in an active G where there are greater chances a LO will be watching and kick anyone from trying to do that with your avatar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...