Account name or Display Name

Alexey Carver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello fellow SL users!

I just want to make a friendly topic about, how many peoples here want to change their Account Name into something else? And if there is many users thinking about that, maybe we can make a petition to Linden Lab about that option. To let the guys know we want that, and they give us an option to do.

Any trolling comment will be reported asap. Please stay in the LL rules and not break any of them.

Thank you!

• Haha 1

Thank you for the answer my Friend.

Iam talking about the in game Names. Iam play with the Second Life more than 10 years, just not feel anything can be important enough to start a topic in the forums. about that.

But now, iam just want to change my Account name into something else. And i just see, i cant, and there is no option for that. So, that is why i decide to start a conversation about this. Maybe there is some other peoples who want that to.

I dont know, so i ask.

Just now, Alexey Carver said:

iam just want to change my Account name into something else. And i just see, i cant, and there is no option for that. So, that is why i decide to start a conversation about this.

Correct.  This is one of the things promised to us in the spring and which is in the works.  You can search the forums for "name change" and find a few other threads about this.  Your name; not a display name.  You will soon be able to change it IF you are a premium member.  Details are still being worked out.  But what you are asking for has been in design phase for 6 to 8 months now.  We should see it happen when they get it ready.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Soon ™

Ahham. Well, thank you. You helps alot. :)

4 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

They are finishing off Bakes on Mesh which should be ready for full released this month.  Names and trade-able environment setting should be shortly after that.  They were shooting for end of 2018 originally but I don't think they will make it.  Maybe.  Who knows.

Well... there a few weeks left from the year, they still can release them in these few weeks. Its not much, but still time, and enough for release something.

28 minutes ago, Alexey Carver said:

Thank you for the link Clover Jinx.

As i understand it correctly. They announce that patch, but still struggle and no info about when its came out. Maybe thy put it out for the Christmas time.

Per the last town hall, they are estimating 2nd quarter of 2019 for implementing the name change ability.  It was originally estimated for late this year but turned out to be way more complicated than originally thought.

Well.... its sounds logical. Because, if i think that through, display names only shows in game, or in chat. If you own something, there displayed to, but Account names are on the forums, on the site, marketplace, lots of places where its shown. Its not an easy task to do. Yes, you absolutely right Lady Jewell.

Just to add a little more detail, it will be just like going back to last names again.  If you choose to get a name change, you can use any first name you want and then pick from a list of available last names.  As long as the first name is not already taken for the last name you pick, you will get that name.

That means you will not be able to go back to your old name if you change your mind.  You will be limited to the last names available and the first name must be unique to that last name.  So even is Carver is available, Alexey will have been already be taken.

5 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Just to add a little more detail, it will be just like going back to last names again.  If you choose to get a name change, you can use any first name you want and then pick from a list of available last names.  As long as the first name is not already taken for the last name you pick, you will get that name.

That means you will not be able to go back to your old name if you change your mind.  You will be limited to the last names available and the first name must be unique to that last name.  So even is Carver is available, Alexey will have been already be taken.

They are actually discussing allowing you to revert back to one of your previous names -- because you alone will always own that name and it will always be associated with you for history purposes anyway.  They haven't finalized whether or not they'll be able to allow that.  That was briefly mentioned in the town hall.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.