Invisible sides?

duLuna Bosatsu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone, using Blender. I started with a Beam to create a thing. I thought if I deleted the extra faces to make it one plane, it would be fine (doing this was an after thought, just experimenting). Instead those newly exposed internals are uploading into SL as invisible. I tried playing with the normals, but my understanding of their true nature is lacking- so I'm assuming I'm just choosing one side over the other instead of getting both. Is it possible to have a plane with a different texture on each side? If so, is it possible to wrangle a beam to do this or should I start over?

normissue.jpg.11650442dee41a88e5808968c6587b5f.jpg

Edited by duLuna Bosatsu
specification

A plane has one side.  If you flip the face normal, it has the "other" side. It can't have both.  In a similar way, a "solid" object like a simple cube also has either an inside or an outside, but not both.  If you want a texture on both sides of something, you have to create two sides, which means doubling your verts.  That's true whether you are in world, or in Blender, or Maya, or whatever.

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

A plane has one side.  If you flip the face normal, it has the "other" side. It can't have both.  In a similar way, a "solid" object like a simple cube also has either an inside or an outside, but not both.  If you want a texture on both sides of something, you have to create two sides, which means doubling your verts.  That's true whether you are in world, or in Blender, or Maya, or whatever.

thanks for clarifying :3

And what about clothes? Been trying to work on it for awhile, and rigging two pieces together is becoming an issue, trying to make a shawl. Had figured out how to rig it already, but there are a few spots not weighted that I can't reach with them joined. Was so close then noticed the invisible insides  T_T

Same thing.  A mesh is a mesh is a mesh. It doesn't make any difference whether you are making a shawl or an outhouse.  If you ever expect to see the other side, you'll have to fold or duplicate at least some of your model around to make a "back side" or "inside".

If you are ever in doubt about what will be visible, turn on Backface Culling and make face normals visible while you are in Blender.

Edited by Rolig Loon

Worth noting:

• Faces in Second Life are always one-sided. Blender does support two-sided faces but they won't export to SL.
  • If you have two back to back faces, it is best to have some space between them. It's possible to create three vertices in Blender and make two opposite-facing faces attached to the same vertices, but both mesh cleanup tools and SL don't like that. Allow a few millimeters between back to back faces.
  • If you build "watertight" models, life will be simpler. It's possible to make non-watertight models work, but you need some understanding of what's happening underneath. You'll spend a lot of time fussing with normals. If you build a watertight model, setting the normals to "outward" (which is an option in the Blender mesh menu) will do the right thing.

6 hours ago, Vareece said:

And what about clothes? Been trying to work on it for awhile, and rigging two pieces together is becoming an issue, trying to make a shawl. Had figured out how to rig it already, but there are a few spots not weighted that I can't reach with them joined. Was so close then noticed the invisible insides  T_T

Wireframe is often your friend.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.