Sylvannas Zulaman

Why so many empty role play sims?

29 minutes ago, Moraxo said:

I could not find any sims in that games theme that would allow my character...

Yes that seems a major problem. If I cannot run around the way I put my SL avatar together in your RP sim I won't come. SL is a medium for personal expression. Visitors express themselves their avatars while sim owners express themselves with their sims. Now when two individualists meet they need to compromise. You can do whatever you want on your sim but if you want to try attracting guests or even retaining those you have you must keep them able to interact with other guests. If your rules on who can visit are too strict not enough will come.

On 12/10/2018 at 7:37 PM, animats said:

It has an elaborate roleplay system, with five species and six factions.

Oh look again another sim I cannot visit without angering the landlord.

On 12/10/2018 at 7:37 PM, animats said:

I've never seen more than four users in it, even at times when Japan is awake.

Still wondering why?

I actually visited it long ago until I found out I am not welcome there by reading the RP rules (a careless destination blogger landmarked a position in it that was not near the official landing point with introductionary texts and forgot to tell us about the place rules as well) as soon as I knew they don't want me there I left and never came back.

PS: Historic sims of course have much easier times to establish a common ground on what is allowed and what not. There were no nekos on Charlemagne's court, period. But of course lack of education will still have people bring all matter of stuff there (like late medieval weapons and fetish outfits instead of actual period accessoires). To me a neko with a viking sword and hauberk would be no more wrong or right than a plate amoured dude with a two handed sword amonst the famous paladins of Charlemagne - both don't belong in this setting. Meet a grumpy history buff and they would even tell your haircut or the colour or race of your riding horse does not fit the period - god beware you show them your riding tack.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

a plate amoured dude with a two handed sword amonst the famous paladins of Charlemagne

/me coughs...

speaking as somebody who can tell the basic differences between German "Augsburg" White Harness, Italian "Milanese" White Harness, Italian "Milanese Export" German-Style (tm) White Harness, and flemish Export White Harness for the English market...

"a man in 15th C. plate harness with a hand-and-a-half sword amongst the late dark-age mail hauberks..."

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

Meet a grumpy history buff and they would even tell your haircut

/me coughs again

I resemble that remark...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Moraxo said:

Not to point fingers or cast blame... but what have YOU(yes you reading this right now) done to better RP in SL? I came to SL looking to play as an OC from a tabletop RPG I played. I could not find any sims in that games theme that would allow my character or ones with active RP to play in AND so I've spent the better part of the past year building my own sim and RP. I am very new to RP and even more so to SL but I feel a lot of people in the RP world of SL are simply lazy, tired, uninspired, jaded or some combination of those.... It takes A LOT to make a good sim and RP environment and story as I am sure many of you know. In my short time on SL Ive met some people randomly that were just sitting on their thumbs in a way and now theyre making mesh, or textures, or scripting for me.... There is TOO much wasted talent out there! TOO many hungry RPers! TOO many sims rising and falling... My thoughts?

Build Communities. Encourage creative people. Support the new players and the old ones. Be as humble and fair as you can. Know that it is a labor of love.

Thats what I see building up "good" RP again

*hops off her soapbox*

I'm glad you can afford a full sim for RP. I sure as hell can't.

*sets your soapbox on fire*

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

*sets your soapbox on fire*

Thats a nice assumption you've made.

Started in a tiny skybox...and I still don't have a full sim.

I'm not sure why this is all about you suddenly though?

Edited by Moraxo

16 minutes ago, Moraxo said:

Started in a tiny skybox...and I still don't have a full sim.

I'm not sure why this is all about you suddenly though?

Where did you get the idea it's all about me? Or are you just mad because I set your soapbox on fire?

Since most RP is done on full sims, in my experience in SL, it's only natural to assume that is what you meant.

If I could afford a full sim it would be an RP.

I'm not the one who insulted roleplayers by calling them

simply lazy, tired, uninspired, jaded or some combination of those....

when you know nothing of the sort. You claimed you weren't pointing fingers or casting blame yet you proceeded to do just that. Yet we aren't supposed to take offense?

Please tell me the name of the sim/region your RP is in so I can avoid it. I'm not here to be blamed for whatever happened during the 4 years I was dealing with several deaths in the family and not logging in at all.

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Where did you get the idea it's all about me?

See Below

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I never asked about you and if you felt the need to respond you obviously felt guilty or something.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Moraxo said:

I never asked about you and if you felt the need to respond you obviously felt guilty or something.

(I think it has more to do with pain given the reasons for her extended absence. Perhaps a bit of kindness could be extended when someone says something like she did.)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Moraxo said:
8 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:
15 hours ago, Moraxo said:

I've spent the better part of the past year building my own sim

Per the bolded part of your statement, I made the same assumption.  Not quite sure how "my own sim" doesn't mean that you have a sim.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

See Below

You are so far out in left field you've gone past Pluto. Try working on your reading comprehension a bit. You can thank me later for it.

k67hiVc.png

14 hours ago, Moraxo said:

What? A guilty conscience is the only reason any of us respond to posts on here?

I've seen rants like yours before back in SL's heyday, anyway. It's not new. Just people who think that their RP is far above everyone else's, act accordingly, yet still think other people are the reason why RP's failing. Inevitably their RP is self indulgent word salad that needs an editor more than Stephen King and John Norman combined. 

As long as someone isn't god modding, meta gaming or being actually OOC obnoxious, I'll RP with them even if English isn't their first language or they're not, shock horror, the greatest writer in the world. The only way anyone is going to get better is by doing it and having examples to follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I realize in Second Life is a general lack of updating sims and information. How much time do I spent finding properly running sims (if the cause may not be because for technical reasons?). And how many people frequent Second Life? 

I think there is a realistic chance for a different way but how could it be?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

self indulgent word salad that needs an editor more than Stephen King and John Norman combined. 

This is fantastic. Making a mental note to fire off and quote this saucy line one day :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MirandaBowers said:

This is fantastic. Making a mental note to fire off and quote this saucy line one day :D

To add to the insult replace Stephen King with Stephanie Meyer when doing so. =^.^=

• Haha 1

hi,

i am not playing in gor but CARP , capture and roleplay,
 of CARP sims there are not many
but of gor there are too many sims!
all those sims needs people and they are spreaded all over the gor sims ,only when there is a raid or a rescue ,there are many people
no raid then here are a few,there are a few, instead of that all gor sims works more together then you will save money and you will  have more people

secondlife is lately very quiet ........

• Like 1

There are many reasons why its changed, the first and foremost is time. As time changes everything and everyone changes with it and what everyone wants or expects or has the time to put forth the energy or effort to be part of. Nothing stays the same or lasts forever, not even in SL. Either the sims and its residents adapt or they die out over time. Most cannot or will not adapt so users become bored and the sim dies out.

The learning curve for SL can be very hard and very high for new players, making them become easily bored or frustrated and seek other simpler methods or more complex methods to find their entertainment and enjoyment. Some of the objects have too complex of menus for some people so they become frustrated and give up, some are too simple and not stimulating or challenging enough so they become disappointed and quit.

There are only so many ways you can rp doing something or having it done to you before it becomes repetitive and dull and boring and no longer interesting and requires more effort or time and energy to try and keep it interesting then some people are willing to put forth. Once it reaches this level many people will move on in search of something different. If they cannot find it here they simply move to some other platform that fills their needs. Some people have very limited likes of what they want to rp, and once that limit has been reached they simply fade away and move to something else in the similar genre somewhere else in hopes to find new entertainment and enjoyment.

Not everyone likes starting fresh over again because their old sim died either because the admin left and no longer paid the tier or because the admin was a jerk and everyone left out of frustration of how it was being run and no one else was willing to put the money up to create a new place to continue on.

Many have grown up and moved on, many have become disenchanted or jaded because of how they were treated by some here. Some simply moved on to consoles and games, some moved to other rp formats like mmorpgs. Some have moved to other social media platforms for quick simple entertainment like facebook and its myriad of games. Some have had rl take away what free time they had to be here when younger and no longer have the time to be here. Some have found what they were wanting in sl in the forms of relationships or friendships and taken it to the real world so no longer need or desire to be here anymore. Some no longer need to escape from the real world because they grew up and learned to deal with rl issues and problems without the need to escape from them. So no longer need to rp in fantasy situations to escape. Some have rl families that are more important than some online virtual world full of people you cannot really trust or believe what they say because they are more than likely playing a role and don't mean it to be taken seriously.

Let us not forget about public embarrassment on that some newer players might not feel they have the rp skills they think would be needed to join so don't try or only rp in pm and not in local. or the fact that some like to be more private about their rp for it's between them and the other person and not for everyone else to see or interfere in or take part of. Yet they might be in a sim and just been seen as standing around because all the rp is being either done in a group or in im's either singular or multi im.

Because of the ability to use im's people have little reason to do their rp in local no matter where they are even if on a rp theme based sim. which leads to anyone coming in seeing the sim as dead or full of afk avatars when really it might not be and so they leave and never return. if and admin tries to make a rule about all rp must be in local and no afk avatars allowed they effectively kill their sim. if an admin makes a rule that all local chat must always be ic they kill their sim. if an admin makes a rule that no ooc chat is allowed in local even when denoted by ((hi)) they kill their sim. if an admin makes non-up-to-current-active-rp visitors or members where special group tags to indicate if they are part of the ongoing rp or not they kill their sim. there are so many quick and simple ways to kill a sim and so few easy ways to keep it alive and interesting.

If an admin tries to limit the scripts players can have on but then used prim objects with large laggy scripts or textures they kill the sim. If the admin uses old scripted objects when newer ones are out that might be easier to use, they kill their sim. if an admin makes the sim or rp to convoluted and complex they kill their sim. If they make it too simple and easy they kill their sim. if an admin makes a themed sim and refused to allow any difference in avatar look without just telling the other players to just imagine they are properly attired for the sim or that maybe it some strange event they kill their sim. not allowing furries in. if an admin allows changes to a themed sim they kill their sim. letting furries in a previously non-furry sim.

finding that proper balance between rp and content and context and avatar appearance and interest can be a hard thing to do now and not everyone has the time or wants to put the time to do that, and instead wants someone else to for them. which leads to sims dieing 

SL is not as popular as it once was, there are enough other sources of rp and fantasy that the time and money and effort it takes to keep an rp sim going or interesting and its visitors rping in local in sl is just not worth it to people as it once was when it was more popular. which is why some sims resort to hunts or other special events near the holidays to try and draw people in and get them interested in the sim, when really they are only there for the items then have no reason to ever return after that point or until the next event is done.

I could probably list many more reasons why rp is not the same here as it was or is remembered by some here and why many sims now slowly die. Which have lead to the decline and death and emptying of sims; but would that really matter if I did? Not like it would magically fix or undo those reasons or bring back the nostalgic times and memories many are having here in this thread.

• Like 5