Sylvannas Zulaman

Why so many empty role play sims?

i use to hangout at those places cuz i was  bored n lonely an liked spying on ppl pretending to be acting but now i have a new ps4 an i got a purpose to  play friday the 13th alot

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Quinn Lysette said:

but now i have a new ps4 an i got a purpose to  play friday the 13th alot

That is easy, put the "friday the 14th" blueray into the PS4 and hit play - rinse - repeat

• Like 1

Been wondering this myself. I love plot-based, situational RP and used to do a lot of it when I was first in SL a long time ago. There were so many sims, and so well populated. Wild West, Arabian Nights, Ancient Rome, fantasy fairylands, steampunk, cyberpunk...so much. I came out of SL for a few years, came back recently and just can't find anything now. Some beautiful sims but nowhere near as many and barely any players. I know it takes time to find your people and places in SL, but it really didn't take me this long last time.

I do find myself wondering what happened.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Been wondering this myself. I love plot-based, situational RP and used to do a lot of it when I was first in SL a long time ago. There were so many sims, and so well populated. Wild West, Arabian Nights, Ancient Rome, fantasy fairylands, steampunk, cyberpunk...so much. I came out of SL for a few years, came back recently and just can't find anything now. Some beautiful sims but nowhere near as many and barely any players. I know it takes time to find your people and places in SL, but it really didn't take me this long last time.

I do find myself wondering what happened.

I'm in the same boat. Scooch over a bit. I'm sure there are more of us. ^_^

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm in the same boat. Scooch over a bit. I'm sure there are more of us. ^_^

I may be barking up the completely wrong tree here but I wonder if it's anything to do with social media becoming so very much more sophisticated in the last five or so years? Maybe people no longer feel a need for this sort of escapism because there are so many more ways to project a polished version of yourself in real life, or get kicks by playing around on online dating sites? Or it's shortened everyone's attention spans so they're no longer so interested in long-term, plot based, situational RP?

From what I've seen since my return, there's a lot more sophistication in av customisation (I hail from the golden age of prim feet; I was once on the bleeding edge because I knew how to tint them). Mesh bodies, bento heads and so on. Has that led to a cultural shift within SL whereby there's more focus on appearance than RP and interaction? I never cared much what my av looked like as long as it fitted the character and settings...I actually always found it really tedious trying all sorts of different shapes and skins etc, it was so hard to find a decent match that once I found one I just stuck with it and changed the clothes to fit the RP.

I don't know, I'm clutching at straws here. It's just that it seems so strange to me. RP was thriving a few years ago, and yet as we seem to live more and more of our real lives online, it seems to have gone down the pan. Is there a connection?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I may be barking up the completely wrong tree here but I wonder if it's anything to do with social media becoming so very much more sophisticated in the last five or so years? Maybe people no longer feel a need for this sort of escapism because there are so many more ways to project a polished version of yourself in real life, or get kicks by playing around on online dating sites? Or it's shortened everyone's attention spans so they're no longer so interested in long-term, plot based, situational RP?

From what I've seen since my return, there's a lot more sophistication in av customisation (I hail from the golden age of prim feet; I was once on the bleeding edge because I knew how to tint them). Mesh bodies, bento heads and so on. Has that led to a cultural shift within SL whereby there's more focus on appearance than RP and interaction? I never cared much what my av looked like as long as it fitted the character and settings...I actually always found it really tedious trying all sorts of different shapes and skins etc, it was so hard to find a decent match that once I found one I just stuck with it and changed the clothes to fit the RP.

I don't know, I'm clutching at straws here. It's just that it seems so strange to me. RP was thriving a few years ago, and yet as we seem to live more and more of our real lives online, it seems to have gone down the pan. Is there a connection?

I can't answer the questions in your first paragraph because I don't do social media. 

I really don't think the advent of mesh bodies and heads has had an impact on RP. If anything it would have improved it in many ways. If you keep your avatar complexity below 100k (I do my best to keep mine below 50k) then the contribution to lag should be negligible, which in turn improves sim lag.

I tend to think what is happening is more along the lines of what has been happening in the MMORPG realm. The article below is from 2 years ago. I haven't seen in any improvement since.

https://www.fresnobee.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/video-games/article98016107.html

There's not much mystery. Mobile happened. All forms of entertainment have had to adapt to the always-present small screen. Casual gaming, with a quick in and out, took over. Look what's leading in gaming - battle royale games like Fortnite, where everyone is trying to kill everyone else.

Plotted games are still a success. Red Dead Redemption 2, a single player game, made $725 million in the first three days after release. There's a Red Dead Redemption MMO. It's not very successful, because the carefully scripted NPCs of the single player game, written and voiced by pros, are partly replaced by other players, who are nowhere near as good at roleplay. Mostly, the MMO descends into everyone trying to kill everyone else.

10 hours ago, animats said:

Mostly, the MMO descends into everyone trying to kill everyone else.

Which is not roleplay, the subject of this thread.

Mobile gaming is pretty much useless for many people who do not have perfect vision. Even with my prescription glasses on it puts a strain on my eyes. So nope, not happening.

Bet the "inventors" of mobile gaming never gave a single thought to those who don't have "perfect" vision. 

But mobile gaming, as you say, lends itself to an entirely different style of RP. I loved the immersive and sophisticated RP I could get in SL, which could involve combat but definitely wasn't pew-pew-pew shoot-em-up, and which wouldn't be possible on a tiny screen with just a phone keypad. I know lots of others did too, because they were everywhere. Has mobile gaming actually changed what people like, to the point where they won't sit and spend a couple of hours in an Arabian Nights or Victorian steampunk story any more? 

I have read about RPing on Twitter. I've seen the screenshots but I just can't understand how that could work. It's so restrictive and how could you keep track of everything that's going on in the story?

11 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

mobile gaming,

11 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

RPing on Twitter. I've seen the screenshots but I just can't understand how that could work. It's so restrictive and how could you keep track of everything that's going on in the story?

I've been asking myself the same questions. I don't have any answers.

I do social media, I do MMOs and I still can find time for actual role playing. As much as there are platforms online for D&D, I feel like SL offers a richer experience when it comes to being an "actor" in a scene.

Certainly not helping any is this tendency wherein someone goes looking for RP, finds a sim that has a nice environment and is open to/set up for fairly free form RP and then fecks right off when no one can be seen there - never to return at a later time.

Have any friends looking for a good place for more general RP and run across one of the aforementioned sims? Point them at it or bring them there for crying out loud!

I've found one or two decent places in the past that could be used for decent enough RP (be it Adult oriented or not) and a former pet helps operate/manage one herself.

It really does go both ways I am afraid - something I noticed even back in my old chat room RP days. It's not just the Diva types that stifle potential RP.

• Like 1

I've been back several times to places that looked good, and not seen anyone. I do remember from last time that action didn't really start until the Americans and Australians got online, but I can't really stay up that late all the time any more. I guess the Brits are all too busy having tea and stockpiling tinned food before Brexit brings everything crashing down around us.

43 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I've been back several times to places that looked good, and not seen anyone. I do remember from last time that action didn't really start until the Americans and Australians got online, but I can't really stay up that late all the time any more. I guess the Brits are all too busy having tea and stockpiling tinned food before Brexit brings everything crashing down around us.

Some of us Brits engage in rp within European-friendly times but, going by your inworld profile, we aren't what you're looking for.  If you can't find rp in the style you want at a time that suits you then start something.  That's what we did.

9 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Some of us Brits engage in rp within European-friendly times but, going by your inworld profile, we aren't what you're looking for.  If you can't find rp in the style you want at a time that suits you then start something.  That's what we did.

I should, of course, but I don't have the time, resources or building skills. (Or friends on European time. Yet.) I'll keep looking and if I can't find anywhere, I'll just live in Arabian Nights sims. I'm currently stuck in half a belly dance costume due to a problem with my mesh body (though some people have given me some possible solutions to try), so it might be my only option.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:52 AM, Solar Legion said:

Certainly not helping any is this tendency wherein someone goes looking for RP, finds a sim that has a nice environment and is open to/set up for fairly free form RP and then fecks right off when no one can be seen there - never to return at a later time.

I've seen a lot of this... a good portion of people seem to have zero patience and keep everything to themselves if and when they do find something... I feel like in a lot of ways the community aspect of RP is dead and this is just leading to more and more cut off and stagnant pools of people and sims that eventually wither away. We see people spend countless lindens and time to blog clothes to share them and laud the creators on facebook, twitter, plurk, flickr...but how many people are out there doing the same for sims and their creators? How many people who actively go to sims are simply just tourists? How many RPers are actual rational players contributing to a community as a pose to stroking their own ego? I try not to think on it too much otherwise I'd probably give up on my sim and RP...

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 6:49 PM, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

What did happen to those kinds of sims where residents not only role played at but also hang out on them? And another question, when was it the last time my fellow residents saw a tavern type of role play going on?

On 12/1/2018 at 1:21 AM, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

I was thinking more about actual role play (D&D and derivatives) rather than adult role play. I like engaging stories and some dice rolling and I been to nice places but I always get that feeling of missing something because the groups are already formed. Of course this is probably more about myself than the people around the sim, but I do miss those times where people would be in character just drinking on a tavern or chatting at a hot spot, for me it seemed more welcoming than having to appeal to group posting.

I miss that too. Those kinds of sims really seem gone. When I still played often, I "sacrificed" part of my role-play time and a character, making her get a job at a tavern exactly because it's a great place and way to help new players get involved without having to IM and worry about intruding on others' scenes, and feel welcome, and get to know resident characters.  Very simple, and in character, by just dropping by. It was a great opportunity also for people who can't be or don't want to be glued to their screens all day or night long to have a bit of fun and add to the sim, atmosphere and story in their own way.                                                   

It was so easy. You looked at a sim, read the info, got excited if you seemed to like the sim and had a character that fit in or a good idea for a new one. You filled out a simple note card and usually could start to play at once, for example in the tavern, before the excitement (or the sim :P) was gone. Without registering outside of SL on a website, having to spend hours on an application, figuring out how yet another HUD works after registering it on another website, only to then not find anyone there or everyone playing in cliques at some place where your character has no chance to get to in character. Or literally every single character you meet being that kind of uninviting already at first encounter that you feel as if they really want you to hit the road out of character too. I played "evil" characters too, sure, they might hate everyone, whatever. But still it's possible to play in a way that shows especially a new to the sim person that they aren't disturbing and that you have fun playing with them, even if their character might like to roast you for dinner.

The "old sims" were easy to get into and, to me, felt more creative and collaborative, and like spending free time and not like applying for a full-time position, and seem all to have closed or disappeared over time, and I gradually played less and less.

Maybe the new sims are great for new people. But where are the old people from the old sims? Did they all stop having sims and role-playing, or are they all happily having and playing on the new kinds of sims?

"Why so many empty role-play sims?" There are either too many sims or too few players, or both. There should be an official limitation of 3 sims per role-play genre and only when one of those closes, a new one may open. 😛                

Edited by rayyn
grammah...
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, rayyn said:

There are either too many sims or too few players, or both. There should be an official limitation of 3 sims per role-play genre and only when one of those closes, a new one may open. 😛                

And if the owner is an idiot we can call on the SL police to dethrone them?

Of course, any closing and opening of role play sims needs to be acted out in character. ;)

ETA: Sorry if it wasn't clear by the smiley, above quote was just a joke, not an actual suggestion.

Edited by rayyn

4 minutes ago, rayyn said:

ETA: Sorry if it wasn't clear by the smiley, above quote was just a joke, not an actual suggestion.

MY apologies, but almost every time I thought someone on the Forums must be joking they turned out to be dead serious :D

• Haha 1

Scale is a problem. Cocoon, the new Japanese cyberpunk roleplay sim, is an impressive build. It has an elaborate roleplay system, with five species and six factions.

I've never seen more than four users in it, even at times when Japan is awake. And they're just mostly standing around. It would take 10-20 active players to make that place come alive. Go and visit, at least to see the build. Someone put a lot of work into this.

Previous lover and I found a place called Liberty City. (Grand Theft Auto-based for those who are unfamiliar.) When we arrived there was only a bit of action...But when people started getting off of work IRL it picked up some, though not a lot. Some people emoted, some didn't. It was fun to be a part of it, nonetheless.

You do have to wear a HUD to get in (that is free) but unless it's changed, you shouldn't have to be a part of a group unless you choose a profession or in a Gang.

But Role Play has diminished... pretty much everywhere. That, or I just don't know how to look between the cracks. The places I used to RP at (Before SL) used to be full of players, but when I went back after a year-long break...Dead, or dying.

2 hours ago, rayyn said:

But where are the old people from the old sims? Did they all stop having sims and role-playing, or are they all happily having and playing on the new kinds of sims?

See, that's what I've been wondering. I used to RP within Arabian Nights, steampunk, comic book, Ancient Rome and Wild West themes. I came off SL when my life changed and I had less free time...got a bit more now so I'm back in from time to time. But it's been so long that my old friends have all disappeared too...perhaps their lives have changed as well?

You do need a fair amount of time to invest if you're going to get decent, continuous RP along evolving storylines. I wonder if what's happened is that everyone who was doing it back in the heyday found that RL happened and they had less time and perhaps less inclination, rather like me...but in the meantime, there hasn't been an influx of new people to replace them. Maybe because SL isn't considered very interesting or edgy any more, maybe now that we live more of our lives through social media there's less inclination, maybe video games have become more immersive and sophisticated and have their own subculture so that's where people are drawn.

I get what people are saying about how to revive and perpetuate RP, but I really, honestly do believe there are just a lot fewer people now and that's the biggest part of it. Last time I followed the news on SL, user numbers were falling all the time.

Not to point fingers or cast blame... but what have YOU(yes you reading this right now) done to better RP in SL? I came to SL looking to play as an OC from a tabletop RPG I played. I could not find any sims in that games theme that would allow my character or ones with active RP to play in AND so I've spent the better part of the past year building my own sim and RP. I am very new to RP and even more so to SL but I feel a lot of people in the RP world of SL are simply lazy, tired, uninspired, jaded or some combination of those.... It takes A LOT to make a good sim and RP environment and story as I am sure many of you know. In my short time on SL Ive met some people randomly that were just sitting on their thumbs in a way and now theyre making mesh, or textures, or scripting for me.... There is TOO much wasted talent out there! TOO many hungry RPers! TOO many sims rising and falling... My thoughts?

Build Communities. Encourage creative people. Support the new players and the old ones. Be as humble and fair as you can. Know that it is a labor of love.

Thats what I see building up "good" RP again

*hops off her soapbox*