Sylvannas Zulaman

Why so many empty role play sims?

Good day, beautiful beings,

I been lately hoping from sim to sim to find a place to role play at. I don't have any limitations BUT Gor. Gor is dreadful. But the purpose of this topic os more about discussing something I noticed over the years more than finding a place.

I remember that, years ago, role play sims were usually crowded with people open to be approached in character and start some kind of interaction that leaded me into feeling welcome at said sim. Nowadays it seems like you have to personally message someone either by using the role play group chat or trying to enter a specific group which can put you in an introductory scene. I personally don't like doing the first one because I could either be ignored and having no one to interact with or overwhelmed and having way too much stuff going on around me.

What did happen to those kinds of sims where residents not only role played at but also hang out on them? And another question, when was it the last time my fellow residents saw a tavern type of role play going on?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

Good day, beautiful beings,

I been lately hoping from sim to sim to find a place to role play at. I don't have any limitations BUT Gor. Gor is dreadful. But the purpose of this topic os more about discussing something I noticed over the years more than finding a place.

I remember that, years ago, role play sims were usually crowded with people open to be approached in character and start some kind of interaction that leaded me into feeling welcome at said sim. Nowadays it seems like you have to personally message someone either by using the role play group chat or trying to enter a specific group which can put you in an introductory scene. I personally don't like doing the first one because I could either be ignored and having no one to interact with or overwhelmed and having way too much stuff going on around me.

What did happen to those kinds of sims where residents not only role played at but also hang out on them? And another question, when was it the last time my fellow residents saw a tavern type of role play going on?

Last sim I RPed regularly in was Mystara, about 4/5 years ago. Most of the action occurred at the tavern and the elf town. I ran the apothecary for a little while. Until not long after I was put into a position where I had to agree to a "business partnership" I didn't want. Sometimes I'm just too nice for my own good.

According to the one group left open:

Mystara has now come to a close. I thank everyone who participated and made the sim the greatest roleplay community on the grid for 5 1/2 years. The group will remain open for the community to keep in touch. The group is not a platform for debate, advertising other sims, or critiquing/nitpicking other sims. If you wish to discuss Mysts of Eyr, our spin-off sim, please join their group!

Realm of Mystara

Sometimes RP sims morph into something else, sometimes in the same sim, sometimes on a new one. Sometimes they just shut down completely because the sim owner can no longer afford to pay the tier. Sometimes running an RP sim just becomes too much to deal with. Those seem to be the most common things to happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"RP" online, of the long winded para/forum variety, has always had problems.

Basically, RP groups tend to fragment, a small clique dominates the RP, start calling them selves "leads" and pretending they are "hollywood superstars of rp", and lesser cliques form who bugger off elsewhere to create almost identical rp groups with THEMSELVES as the Command Clique "leads".

The second problem is that whole "leads" crap, you end up with a situation where you as a mere rp seeking visitor cannot take part because you haven't been assigned a role in the script chosen by the "leads" when crafting their "story".

People get bored with being told they are non speaking extras in some smug SoB's mental masturbation ego fantasy, and push off elsewhere...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

some smug SoB's mental masturbation ego fantasy

Best one I ever heard from a (literal; it was her character) queen of a beautiful historical RP region that had an amazing fantasy lore set in place, with multiple storylines on the go: "You can't be gay in this place. You will be found out, and you will be killed."

My partner and I had been playing a hidden (because yes, it was forbidden within that roleplay lore) gay relationship for months, but one day she happened past me, stopped, and must have read my profile. There was no mention in it of my character's sexuality whatsoever, but my male partner is obviously listed, and one IM *ding* later and suddenly the store that my character had been successfully running was taken away from him, and some of the other players stopped interacting with me.

We quit that area due to the hostility, and a few months after she took over as queen it turned into a bog-standard capture-roleplay region with 'Masters' yanking slave girls around on chains. 9_9

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

46 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

"RP" online, of the long winded para/forum variety, has always had problems.

Basically, RP groups tend to fragment, a small clique dominates the RP, start calling them selves "leads" and pretending they are "hollywood superstars of rp", and lesser cliques form who bugger off elsewhere to create almost identical rp groups with THEMSELVES as the Command Clique "leads".

The second problem is that whole "leads" crap, you end up with a situation where you as a mere rp seeking visitor cannot take part because you haven't been assigned a role in the script chosen by the "leads" when crafting their "story".

People get bored with being told they are non speaking extras in some smug SoB's mental masturbation ego fantasy, and push off elsewhere...

I agree with Klytyna. I am sooo going to hell. xD

22 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Best one I ever heard from a (literal; it was her character) queen of a beautiful historical RP region that had an amazing fantasy lore set in place, with multiple storylines on the go: "You can't be gay in this place. You will be found out, and you will be killed."

My partner and I had been playing a hidden (because yes, it was forbidden within that roleplay lore) gay relationship for months, but one day she happened past me, stopped, and must have read my profile. There was no mention in it of my character's sexuality whatsoever, but my male partner is obviously listed, and one IM *ding* later and suddenly the store that my character had been successfully running was taken away from him, and some of the other players stopped interacting with me.

We quit that area due to the hostility, and a few months after she took over as queen it turned into a bog-standard capture-roleplay region with 'Masters' yanking slave girls around on chains. 9_9

So she immediately assumed you were "guilty" (regardless of whether you actually were or not) and became judge, jury and executioner simply because you are partnered with a male avatar on your profile? So much for "what's in a profile can't be used [against someone] unless it's been RPed" rules that all RP sims have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am helping develop a SIM that started 3 weeks ago and started just because of what the @OP mentioned. It is fetish and adult and only for RL and SL people that want a place to socialize and interact with each other. This is an extension of my real life so the main rule is enthusiast consent. It won't be ready for another month (2 people working on it now) but you are more than welcome to stop by and have a look and offer suggestions. We did not do this as a business venture and are only looking to break even and just have fun with like minded people. This is an all inclusive SIM and any discrimination will not be tolerated in the SIM as is the case in our real lives. We like people and don't care what is in their pants just what's in their heads :) . It's RLV friendly and CNC is allowed again with consent. We are currently experimenting with Xcite!'s line and it took a while to set up and configure but we are happy with it now.

Edited by Toolinator

33 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

So she immediately assumed you were "guilty" (regardless of whether you actually were or not) and became judge, jury and executioner simply because you are partnered with a male avatar on your profile? So much for "what's in a profile can't be used [against someone] unless it's been RPed" rules that all RP sims have.

That just about sums it up, yep.

49 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

... So much for "what's in a profile can't be used [against someone] unless it's been RPed" rules that all RP sims have....

Are you suggesting hypocrisy is/was ( delete as required ) rampant in them RP sims ?

6 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Are you suggesting hypocrisy is/was ( delete as required ) rampant in them RP sims ?

It was rampant in the region I was talking about. Meta-gaming is a big no-no in any roleplay arena, be that in SL or outside of it.

Just now, rasterscan said:

Winces. Good luck with that one 

I know , I have done the research. I didn't find any BDSM based SIMS that weren't a giant swinger event or hardcore Gorean so wanted to put up a SIM that follows BDSM protocol but not a strict set of rules that excludes others from enjoying themselves. Nobody has a role unless they or their owner(s) assign it and that the consent comes from both the Dom(me) and their sub so that it follows real life more but with dragons and stuff :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

I have done the research. I didn't find any BDSM based SIMS that weren't a giant swinger event or hardcore Gorean

Not enough research apparently... There's a number of non-gore-bore sims, that are not 'swinger-fests', and are rlv/rlva themed. Oh just an FYI, you won't find ANY of them searching for "Masters and slave girls", or "bdsm community".

;) 

21 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Not enough research apparently... There's a number of non-gore-bore sims, that are not 'swinger-fests', and are rlv/rlva themed. Oh just an FYI, you won't find ANY of them searching for "Masters and slave girls", or "bdsm community".

;) 

I was referring to breaking even about the research and expect to spend 200-300$ /m but that is ok , if it can be reduced any then better still. The SIM is F/m based which is why I had so much trouble finding a realistic-ish one unless you know of one offhand that is. 

50 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

They don't always start out that way but seem to inevitably end up that way. Power, even superficial power, can bring out the worst in people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

They don't always start out that way but seem to inevitably end up that way. Power, even superficial power, can bring out the worst in people.

I got a little dose of that 2 days ago when someone told me that they were blocking me before they did like it was some kind of presidential act. What ever happened to just saying to someone that you don't want to speak with them anymore and that settles it ?

EDIT PRIOR TO THE NEXT RESPONSE :

She contacted me first with a hi , 2 days later I said hi not knowing it was a person and not just a welcome bot. She asked how the building was going and when I explained what I wanted to create she declared the topic out of scope and told me I was blocked , lol

Edited by Toolinator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Toolinator said:

I got a little dose of that 2 days ago when someone told me that they were blocking me before they did like it was some kind of presidential act. What ever happened to just saying to someone that you don't want to speak with them anymore and that settles it ?

People aren't always what they seem to be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

EDIT PRIOR TO THE NEXT RESPONSE :

She contacted me first with a hi , 2 days later I said hi not knowing it was a person and not just a welcome bot. She asked how the building was going and when I explained what I wanted to create she declared the topic out of scope and told me I was blocked , lol

Doesn't change my response.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Doesn't change my response.

I consider it rude to edit after a response in case the response then clashes with how they would have responded if they saw it first. Just an etiquette thing :)

Edited by Toolinator

38 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

I consider it rude to edit after a response in case the response then clashes with how they would have responded if they saw it first. Just an etiquette thing :)

I made the statement that your edit didn't change my response for that very reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toolinator said:

I am helping develop a SIM that started 3 weeks ago and started just because of what the @OP mentioned. It is fetish and adult and only for RL and SL people that want a place to socialize and interact with each other. This is an extension of my real life so the main rule is enthusiast consent. It won't be ready for another month (2 people working on it now) but you are more than welcome to stop by and have a look and offer suggestions. We did not do this as a business venture and are only looking to break even and just have fun with like minded people. This is an all inclusive SIM and any discrimination will not be tolerated in the SIM as is the case in our real lives. We like people and don't care what is in their pants just what's in their heads :) . It's RLV friendly and CNC is allowed again with consent. We are currently experimenting with Xcite!'s line and it took a while to set up and configure but we are happy with it now.

I was thinking more about actual role play (D&D and derivatives) rather than adult role play. I like engaging stories and some dice rolling and I been to nice places but I always get that feeling of missing something because the groups are already formed. Of course this is probably more about myself than the people around the sim, but I do miss those times where people would be in character just drinking on a tavern or chatting at a hot spot, for me it seemed more welcoming than having to appeal to group posting.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

but I do miss those times where people would be in character just drinking on a tavern or chatting at a hot spot, for me it seemed more welcoming than having to appeal to group posting.

But then somebody has to wear an ugly avi and play "Wat Dabny, Ex Cooper and member in good standing of the Beggars Guild", and somebody else has to play "Megan" the mousey blond with the saggy boobs and the face like a stale potato, in the hessian frock, who serves the watery beer and the suspicious boiled sausages...

People dislike not having the opportunity to type 1000 character long para emotes about how...

"The golden dangles on the cords on her designer leather adventurers costume jingle, and catch the torchlight, as she strides into the tavern and looks owlishly around before smiling evilly, resting one hand casually on the gold-wire wrapped grip of her basket hilted hand-and-a-half sword, and the other on the butt of her Horsewoman's 6-shot pistol crossbow and saying '...erm Hi, I'm Sue, from Des Moines, can I Para RP here? I'm a bit noob...'"

Sitting in a tavern chatting denys the Para-Egos their chance to be RP-Story Lead Superstars!.

;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, Klytyna said:

But then somebody has to wear an ugly avi and play "Wat Dabny, Ex Cooper and member in good standing of the Beggars Guild", and somebody else has to play "Megan" the mousey blond with the saggy boobs and the face like a stale potato, in the hessian frock, who serves the watery beer and the suspicious boiled sausages...

Yes. Red Dead Redemption Online is running into that problem. In the offline version, Red Dead Redemption 2, all the characters other than the players are scripted. The NPCs are very good; a huge effort, involving over 2000 voice and motion capture actors, was required to build them. As with GTA, which is from the same company, the dev team thought of everything.

As a result, the NPCs are better roleplayers than the users in the multiplayer version. Why not? They were scripted and programmed by pros with a big budget. The company can afford it; the game brought in $725 million in revenue in the first 3 days after release. What are the users doing in multiplayer? Trying to kill everybody, like it's Fortnite.

You do need some NPCs to help a scenario along. The Drivers of SL drives have NPCs. One of their bots is in my cafe in Vallone right now. She gives you an item, a medical kit, and directions for what you're supposed to do next. We need more of that in SL. Now that animesh is working, I hope we see store clerk bots, waiter/waitress bots, etc., to fill up all those empty businesses in world. There are some good bots now, but they'e rare and expensive.

2 hours ago, animats said:

Now that animesh is working, I hope we see store clerk bots, waiter/waitress bots, etc., to fill up all those empty businesses in world.

Wait...

Are you not the same animats who has in numerous threads complained vociferously about "bots and alts" and how LL need to get rid of them, and complained about "dummy avatars & npcs", a charge that you leveled against the ENITIRE static and transient population of Zindra?

You are also the same animats who often posts about the need for "more modern-aaa-title-game-like efficiency" in SL, but here you are openly advocating not only MORE bots, but the use of worthless, useless, and unnecessary scripted animesh npcs, just to "fill up all those empty businesses"...

Hypocrisy much?

• Haha 2