Inworld Store Closure - Similar to RL Blue Laws

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What about all the flatulent cows? And concrete / blacktop reflecting reflecting all the heat? By minuscule, do you just mean emissions? Itā€™s ok, make up some numbers. šŸ˜¹

Did you hear, Los Angeles is fighting global warming by painting itsĀ streets white.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-angeles-is-painting-some-of-its-streets-white-and-the-reasons-why-are-pretty-cool/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Question. What would happen to the earth's climate if mankind totally disappeared tomorrow?

Would it reach anĀ ideal equilibrium, or would it continue to fluctuate?

The nuclear power plants would melt down, emitting radioactive particles,Ā and kill all life on earth.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The nuclear power plants would melt down, emitting radioactive particles,Ā and kill all life on earth.

That may very well be, but you didn't answer the question, will the climate continue to change, or will it reach a steady state?

I guess you didn't read what I wrote before.

Bracketing out the issue of radioactivity, the issue is not whether the climate would continue to change (get either hotter or cooler).

The issue is that we are heating up so quickly nowĀ that it will not give enough time for plants and animals to adapt. And if they die, we die.

** You need to study biological systems to understand this....the way in which all life is interdependent.

Edited by Luna Bliss

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

but before they do, here is a chart of temperatures over the last 5000 years, today's situation doesn't look terribly abnormal

I don't know who these people are, or where you got the graphic, but numerous scientific reports demonstrate that the rate of warming is increasing at unprecedented levels, and in recent years we've had the hottest years ever recorded since... (would have to check my data on how far back it goes).

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Bracketing out the issue of radioactivity, the issue is not whether the climate would continue to change (get either hotter or cooler).

The issue is that we are heating up so quickly nowĀ that it will not give enough time for plants and animals to adapt. And if they die, we die.

** You need to study biological systems to understand this....the way in which all life is interdependent.

You made a post the other day that we are on the cusp of a 6th mass extinction event.

Was man responsible for the 5 previous mass extinctions?

Ā 

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

but before they do, here is a chart of temperatures over the last 5000 years, today's situation doesn't look terribly abnormal

Ā 

harris_mann.gif

Interesting chart. Do you see how it says "now" is 2009, and by now we're supposed to be in an abnormally cold period?

https://www.noaa.gov/news/2018-was-4th-hottest-year-on-record-for-globe

• Haha 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I don't know who these people are, or where you got the graphic, but numerous scientific reports demonstrate that the rate of warming is increasing at unprecedented levels, and in recent years we've had the hottest years ever recorded since... (would have to check my data on how far back it goes).

YesĀ  I know, and thatĀ new democratic congressperson from new york says theĀ world is utterly doomed in 12 years unless we tackle climate change NOW

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Interesting chart. Do you see how it says "now" is 2009, and by now we're supposed to be in an abnormally cold period?

https://www.noaa.gov/news/2018-was-4th-hottest-year-on-record-for-globe

And we haven't been having record cold temps around the globe?

What about these polar plunges the msmĀ loves to prattle on about?

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You made a post the other day that we are on the cusp of a 6th mass extinction event.

Was man responsible for the 5 previous mass extinctions?

Of course man was not (in the previous 5 mass extinctions).

But can you give me a good reason to accelerate a mass extinction? Participating in this thread and ignoring the fact of my cute grandson, I'm starting to think of reasons.

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ā 

Oh I know. I saw a truckload of chickens today in small crates on their journey to theĀ slaughter house, and all I could think was... oo I could have chicken for dinner tonight

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

And we haven't been having record cold temps around the globe?

What about these polar plunges the msmĀ loves to prattle on about?

They're happening while Australia (you may have heard of it - kangaroos, Southern Hemisphere, summer right now) is having record heat.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australia-heatwave-latest-temperature-heat-records-stress-new-south-wales-bushfires-a8735541.html

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

No, I'm not blue for any reason.

Ā 

Wow, the direction this thread has gone

Sorry, forgot you were OP writing about someone else, not that they posted about itself! Glad youā€™re not blue, but nothing is wrong with being different colors. I like purple.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

but before they do, here is a chart of temperatures over the last 4500 years, today's situation doesn't look terribly abnormal

Ā 

harris_mann.gif

So, if your chart is right, weā€™re due for another ā€œice ageā€ or ā€œdark ageā€. Either way, weā€™re screwed.

• Moderators

Greetings all!

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

• Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

This thread is now closed.Ā 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.