HELP for my first Mesh Avatar.

conilmionome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys,
I'm about to switch to an avatar mesh.
I would like to compose an athletic body tending to the muscular (I have identified jake or gianni). based on this choice, then, I would like to have a rockabilly look for hair and some Japanese style tattoo.
I would need some help though: once I bought the body and the hair, what do I need to take to define the characteristics of the face?
I need suggestions for shapes, skins and head.

Thank you for any info!😀

1 hour ago, conilmionome said:

Hi guys,
I'm about to switch to an avatar mesh.
I would like to compose an athletic body tending to the muscular (I have identified jake or gianni). based on this choice, then, I would like to have a rockabilly look for hair and some Japanese style tattoo.
I would need some help though: once I bought the body and the hair, what do I need to take to define the characteristics of the face?
I need suggestions for shapes, skins and head.

Thank you for any info!😀

Welcome to the world of meshiness!

A couple of things to help get you started.... first you don't HAVE to buy a shape since bento heads which are made by a variety of designers all have shape sliders so you can edit your face's shape. BTW in case you don't know "bento" is the term for mesh body parts like heads and hands that have more bones that can be edited and animated more realistically. There are also static mesh heads that cannot be changed in shape, they are cheaper but much less customizable.  That said, each different bento head starts out with a basic shape and can only be changed so much. So the best thing to do is grab a bunch of demos from bento head makers (here's a fairly current list though it is missing a few newer male heads. like the new Catwa Dude: http://meshbodyaddicts.com/mesh-head-reviews/bento-mesh-heads/) and play around with editing their shapes until you can find one that gives you the look you want. It takes time to demo but it is worth it to save frustration and lindens and also to figure out this bento mesh thing.

Skins do also effect the look and many are either available for particular head brands, or as Omega skins (Omega is a "universal" applier brand that enables you to put the same skin on many heads of different brands). There are many demos to help you on this as well, though you may need to purchase the fairly cheap relays or installers for using Omega skins on some heads if you are demoing Omega skins.

Also have a look at Strawberry Singh's blog since she does great video reviews of male and female mesh heads and mesh bodies as well. It's here: https://strawberrysingh.com/mesh-body-parts-in-second-life/

It's a complicated thing so take it slowly and good luck!

Hair -- that's a whole other huge topic and there are many stores that might have a rockabilly look! 

Have fun!

Edited by Sagadin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sagadin said:

Welcome to the world of meshiness!

A couple of things to help get you started.... first you don't HAVE to buy a shape since bento heads which are made by a variety of designers all have shape sliders so you can edit your face's shape. BTW in case you don't know "bento" is the term for mesh body parts like heads and hands that have more bones that can be edited and animated more realistically. There are also static mesh heads that cannot be changed in shape, they are cheaper but much less customizable.  That said, each different bento head starts out with a basic shape and can only be changed so much. So the best thing to do is grab a bunch of demos from bento head makers (here's a fairly current list though it is missing a few newer male heads. like the new Catwa Dude: http://meshbodyaddicts.com/mesh-head-reviews/bento-mesh-heads/) and play around with editing their shapes until you can find one that gives you the look you want. It takes time to demo but it is worth it to save frustration and lindens and also to figure out this bento mesh thing.

Skins do also effect the look and many are either available for particular head brands, or as Omega skins (Omega is a "universal" applier brand that enables you to put the same skin on many heads of different brands). There are many demos to help you on this as well, though you may need to purchase the fairly cheap relays or installers for using Omega skins on some heads if you are demoing Omega skins.

Also have a look at Strawberry Singh's blog since she does great video reviews of male and female mesh heads and mesh bodies as well. It's here: https://strawberrysingh.com/mesh-body-parts-in-second-life/

It's a complicated thing so take it slowly and good luck!

Hair -- that's a whole other huge topic and there are many stores that might have a rockabilly look! 

Have fun!

First of all thanks for your answer!

could you list me or give me examples of things to buy after taking the body? in the end, however, I choose signature.

(I mean the brand of hair, skin to match ...)

Thanks again!

Edited by conilmionome

You are welcome! 

Honestly I don't know much about male skins -- Skell Dagger is one of the resident experts on those issues -- maybe he will chime in here! If you search through the forums for male mesh clothing and skins I am sure you will find other posts with ideas and recommendations as this topic comes us regularly.

Hair though is another story! There are lots of great hair makers and many of them have group gifts too. For male hair try out Stealthic, Exile, Argrace, No Match, Tukinawaguma, Kokolores, Truth, or Lock and Tuft. Those designers have male hair styles or unisex styles that I sometimes wear -- many with a punkier look. 

As for tattoos, there are tons of them that will work for that body since it does support Omega appliers. I personally like Shinu-made and Letis and This is Wrong but there are literally thousands of tattoos out there that should work with that body. Check out the marketplace listings or wander around at events for ideas and shops that you like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conilmionome said:

First of all thanks for your answer!

could you list me or give me examples of things to buy after taking the body? in the end, however, I choose signature.

(I mean the brand of hair, skin to match ...)

Thanks again!

Skin wise it´s a bit hard to give a certain advice since it´s not really clear what you are looking for or if you intend to keep your system head or not. Especially if you consider not buying a mesh head it limits your options, since a lot of designers stopped including system layers. And since mesh heads are another serious investment you really should demo them first until you find one you´re really comfortable with. In my experience there are not many omega compatible head skins in the male market, so going with everything besides a catwa head will probably limit your options again too (at least I head trouble finding another skin for my head, others may have made different experiences). 

Skin makers out of the head and in a random order that come to my mind: 7DeadlySkins (may even sell system skins), Birth, ClefdePeau, Sessions, Vendetta, notfound, StrayDog,TableauVivant.  And i probably forgot a few.

Hair makers: Dura, Steahltic, Modulus, Volthair, Doux, Aggrace, Nomatch, Deadwool (has only one but the slicked back hair is looking rather nice)

• Like 1

Thank u so much guys!

I've already started to take a look at everything!
one last thing, I have a doubt: but for the characteristics of the face (I do not mean the head) .... need the shape or the skin? or do i have to buy anything else? like the appliers?

Edited by conilmionome
  • Like 1

The way the face looks will depend on both your shape and the skin you wear. 

If you are using the system body head, then you will not need to buy appliers for it, but you may want to choose a skin which has a system (classic) body skin layer (which would be system body and head) as well as the applier for your mesh body. 

If you are using a mesh head, you will need to buy an applier to apply your chosen skin to the mesh head (unless the head applier comes in the same package as the skin applier for the mesh body - I think this varies by creator).   Depending on your mesh body and/or mesh head, and the skin you choose, you may need to purchase an Omega relay for that body and/or head.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conilmionome said:

for the characteristics of the face (I do not mean the head) .... need the shape or the skin? or do i have to buy anything else? like the appliers

To wear a new skin if you are using a system head still you will need a system skin that comes with a matching applier for the body. Appliers are just the way that a skin gets "painted" onto a mesh body. Many newer skins come only as appliers and so cannot be put on your system head. But some skin makers will include both appliers and system skins that match. You have to shop around or ask the customer service people (Joining groups for skin makers or body or head makers gets you access to much helpful advice. Sometimes it's free to join, other times not.)

So if you are using the Signature Gianni body and a non-mesh system head to put on a new skin you need to "wear" a system skin and then "apply" an applier skin separately -- you do that by "adding" the HUD and then clicking on the appropriate spot and you will see the new skin get painted on. The applier step can make use of appliers made for that body or that say "Omega." I don't think you need a separate Omega thingy to use Omega skin appliers on Signature bodies. 

Then you can change the shape by editing the shape sliders -- right click on your avi and choose "appearance" and then "edit shape." That will enable you to change various parts of a mesh body, a non-mesh system head, or a bento mesh head (but not a non-bento mesh head). It is amazing how much you can change your overall appearance with the sliders (and how much time you can spend trying to get things "just right." :) )

Edited by Sagadin

so ultimately ...

for starters I could do like this:

- a mesh body as signature or other
- a mesh head (like catwa?)
- shape and skin also compatible with the body (in this case do not need appliers right?)
- mesh hair (they are taken separately, do they have to be compatible with the shape?)

or am I doing something wrong?

Well almost ;) For mesh bodies and heads the skin just IS the applier. And depending on the skin maker you may have to buy two things - an applier for your head brand like Catwa and and applier for you body.Luckily the body appliers are usually cheaper and can be used with different head appliers from the same brand. 

Here is an example: I went to the store of Acme skins (not a real brand) and picked up the Buffy Catwa head applier in tone 4 ( ultra-tan). It is one of many head skin appliers I could have picked but I like the way it gives me a sinister lip snarl. I also bought the Maitreya body applier in tone 4. So now if I get a new tone 4 applier for my head from Acme I can use the same body applier and I'll get a match between colors for head and body.

One thing you might do is go someplace like 7 deadly skins or WOW skins that has lots of gift skins to mess around with - both have group join fees but they give you lots of loot for the fee. 

Basic idea: standard or "classic" avatar body and head - you wear standard skins. Mesh body and head you apply skins that will work with the appliers that will work for each.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, conilmionome said:

for the characteristics of the face (I do not mean the head) .... need the shape or the skin? or do i have to buy anything else? like the appliers?

Facial characteristics are defined by both shape and skin appliers. For non-Bento heads you cannot change the physical shape of the head in any other way except stretching it. For Bento heads you can use the shape sliders that are used on your system avatar to further customise more than 30 individual parts of your face shape. Skins will add even further customisation, just as they do on system avatars. Marianne has shown you four different shape and skin combinations used on the Catwa Daniel head as examples of just how different you can look with the same head, and below are some examples of the same head that she used - this time the same shape, but with different skins and other appliers such as makeup, age lines, and facial hair:

daniel_comp.thumb.jpg.ccccf38fe92bc00d6336fd22e2171d53.jpg

5 hours ago, conilmionome said:

- a mesh body as signature or other
- a mesh head (like catwa?)
- shape and skin also compatible with the body (in this case do not need appliers right?)
- mesh hair (they are taken separately, do they have to be compatible with the shape?)

Skin and skin appliers are different ways of doing the same thing, and which one you use depends on the type of avatar that you have. The skin that you're familiar with is one that you wear on a system avatar. If, however, you opt for a mesh body and head you will need to use skin appliers instead. You still need to wear a system skin underneath it all, as that's one of the four basic avatar components without which you won't rez at all, but any system skin will suffice for that, as it won't show when you're wearing a full mesh avatar.

If you've chosen Signature as your body (presumably Gianni, as they also have a body called Geralt) then you need to be aware of the following:

• check that the mesh head you want is compatible with the body and fits properly at the neck
  • check that you have appliers in the same skintone from the same designer on both head and body

Your skin applier options will be dictated by your choice of head and body. For example:

• Signature body and Catwa head = you would need a Signature-compatible body applier and a Catwa-compatible head applier
  • Slink body and LeLutka head = you would need a Slink-compatible body applier and a LeLutka-compatible head applier

There is also the option of Omega appliers. Omega is a cross-brand applier type that - providing you are wearing (or have installed) the correct Omega relay for your head and body - will allow you to wear Omega skin appliers on any mesh body and head. Omega is not a specific skin brand; it's more of a "remote controller" that allows you to wear Omega-compatible appliers made by any creators.

If you choose a Bento head then your underlying shape will affect what the head looks like. Most Bento heads will come with a "starter shape" that sets the ideal slider parameters for the head. You can subsequently edit that shape to personalise it to you. Many Bento heads will look very odd if you try to wear them over your old system shape, so either customise the included starter shape or look for a shape made specifically for that brand of head. (And be aware that, for the male market at least these days, many shape-makers no longer offer demos.)

With regard to hair, you don't need to worry about shape compatibility. Most hairstyles will work on both Bento and non-Bento heads. Just as you used tattoo hairbases on your system avatar to hide any bits of your scalp that might have poked through your hair, so you can find hairbase appliers for mesh heads that do the same thing.

The main important thing is to take your time and try lots of demos. Don't rush into anything - especially an expensive Bento head purchase - without first making sure that purchase can be moulded into exactly what you want. And if you need any more help or advice, keep posting here :)

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

below are some examples of the same head that she used - this time the same shape, but with different skins and other appliers such as makeup, age lines, and facial hair:

daniel_comp.thumb.jpg.ccccf38fe92bc00d6336fd22e2171d53.jpg

This is what is so fabulous about SL and the creativity of people.

• Like 1

well.... :D

my choice at the end was gianni & catwa daniel. i bought.

this is my current catwa daniel, but .....: D

head.png.55d31c2975fa7e2014b97b0e9a87097e.png

1) I did not understand how to make it the same color of the body, as you see in the picture is not the same.

2) I'm still a little confused between shape, skin and applier. at this point what should I take from stores or marketplaces to make the face I want? could you include some examples of products here? (simply the category, of course, so that I understand what to look for lol)

3) can this body be modified only from the menu (where there is height, robustness, fat ...), or does something exist that further regulates the musculature, for example?

thanks a lot to all and sorry, i'm still too newbie!

22 minutes ago, conilmionome said:

1) I did not understand how to make it the same color of the body, as you see in the picture is not the same.

2) I'm still a little confused between shape, skin and applier. at this point what should I take from stores or marketplaces to make the face I want? could you include some examples of products here? (simply the category, of course, so that I understand what to look for lol)

3) can this body be modified only from the menu (where there is height, robustness, fat ...), or does something exist that further regulates the musculature, for example?

thanks a lot to all and sorry, i'm still too newbie!

First off, there are 4 items that you will always be wearing:  Shape, Skin, Eyes, and Hair Base -- though various things can and often do make those things invisible.

The body 'shape' is basically all of your dimensions - height, body fat, hand size, etc....  You will always have a classic avatar 'shape' that gets hidden by an alpha for wearing your mesh - but the size/dimensions of the shape will effect the mesh body/head. 

Likewise, you will always have a classic skin that basically paints that classic shape - but since that shape is hidden for mesh bodies/heads, you'll not see that skin when wearing your mesh.  Mesh bodies and heads require an Applier to apply/paint the skin onto the mesh.  You will need a Head applier and a Body applier, by the same skin maker in the same color/tone, to get a match.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, conilmionome said:

To make your head the same colour as your body, you need to follow the instructions that I gave in my reply, which were:

16 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

check that you have appliers in the same skintone from the same designer on both head and body

In other words: you need to find a Catwa-compatible skin applier for your head, plus a Signature-compatible skin applier for your body. They preferably need to be from the same skin designer, and in the same skintone:

• If you like the skin on your Signature body, then there are only a couple of skin designers who have made Catwa-compatible head appliers that will match it: some skins from Hermony, and three of the earlier skins (Cesar, Damian, and Viktor) by Vendetta.
  • If you like the skins on your Catwa head, then those will only match to the Gen1 Clef de Peau body appliers that can be found in the Clef de Peau vendor at the Catwa Store. (Clef de Peau have since changed their body appliers twice, and the ones you will find in their mainstore don't match to the default skins in the Catwa Master HUD.)

However, you don't have to stick with those skins. There are hundreds of other skin designers in Second Life, and most of them offer Catwa-compatible head appliers and Signature-compatible body appliers. Here is a long list of just some of the head applier stores on the Catwa website, but if that's a bit too long for you, then from my own personal skin collection we have: Aeros, Amias, Avenge, Avi-Glam, Birth, Clef de Peau, Essences, Go & See, Insol, L'Etre, Le Forme, Not Found, 7 Deadly Skins, Session, Stray Dog, Swallow, Tableau Vivant, The Plastik, Vendetta, VYC. (And probably a few more that I've not yet filed.)

10 hours ago, conilmionome said:

I'm still a little confused between shape, skin and applier. at this point what should I take from stores or marketplaces to make the face I want? could you include some examples of products here? (simply the category, of course, so that I understand what to look for lol)

• Shape = a series of numbers that set the underlying structure of your avatar (eg: your height, your musculature, the shape of your eyes, nose, chin, etc)
  • Skin = a texture that you wear on your avatar that makes you look a certain way (this can include shading that - combined with the shape - will add further definition, such as muscles or high cheekbones)
  • Skin applier = a texture that is applied to a mesh body and/or head that makes it look a certain way (this can include shading that - combined with the shape - will add further definition, such as muscles or high cheekbones)

Skin and skin applier are often used interchangeably by many people when offering avatar customisation advice. Skin applier will only ever refer to what goes onto a mesh body and/or head, whereas some people may also call that a skin, just for brevity.

10 hours ago, conilmionome said:

can this body be modified only from the menu (where there is height, robustness, fat ...), or does something exist that further regulates the musculature, for example?

Yes, the Signature body can be refined from that menu. The menu you're referring to (height, robustness, fat, etc) is the shape settings, so those modifications made there are how you set your shape. And, as mentioned above, you can make further modifications by wearing a skin applier that has shading to give more (or less) musculature. Think of the body as the canvas, and the skin applier as the paint you put on it. You can make a painting look 3D by using certain shading techniques, and many skin designers in SL do this for their skins.

Here is another example, this time showing skin appliers with no additional makeup, facial hair etc. They're all shown on the same head with the same underlying shape. All of these skins are from different stores, and - if you look closely at them - you can see how they have different lips, different cheekbone shading, different brows, etc. All of that offers a different starting point, and - when you edit the underlying shape sliders (and add further appliers, such as facial hair, etc) the skins will have different effects on your face. These skins are all shown on the Catwa Victor head:

877737268_VictorSkinComparison.thumb.jpg.895f2ba16dc704eeae86de72551d0001.jpg

Look at the cheekbone shading on the skins by Amias, Swallow, L'Etre, and Birth. The underlying shape that I'm wearing is exactly the same, but those skins make my cheekbones look higher and my cheeks more sunken than the skins by Clef de Peau and Go & See. Then look at the lip width on the Go & See skin, and compare it to the lip width on the Amias skin next to it. I haven't changed my lip width slider at all between the two images, but the Go & See one - because of the way the skin has been painted - makes my mouth look smaller. Lastly, look at the upper nose shading on the Stray Dog skin and compare it to the same area on the Vendetta skin next to it. The Vendetta skin looks older, more serious, even a bit 'frowny' because of that shading, but nothing about the underlying shape has been changed; it's all in the skin shading.

Hopefully those images will give you examples of how skins can change the look of an avatar. When you add that in combination with the shape slider options you'll get a multitude of personalisation options that mean no two avatars will ever look exactly the same... unless they buy a pre-made shape from a store and wear exactly the same applier combination as someone else who bought the same pre-made shape.

• Thanks 3

I finally managed to set up a decent avatar!

just two questions:

1) I can not remove any worn tattoos
2) because sometimes if I wear a mesh dress (shirt, jeans ..), it disappears another that I had already on (for example shoes)?

3) 3) the beard must be the same designer of the chosen hair?

thanks as always :)

Edited by conilmionome

1) there should be a clear layers button somewhere in body and head HUDs

2) always use "add" instead of "wear"

3) Nope but of you want a bento mesh beard it should work with your head (demo first if you want to be sure)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.