30 minutes ago, Shadow Gartner said:

Why you be giving out our secrets!!!?  Let them sit here and wonder what we are up to! I think I need to send a task force to hunt you down lol

😂

Somebody has to let them know. This has gone beyond ridiculous.

Also, I didn’t tell them about Just for Me and doobies. ;) 

Edited by janetosilio
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Honestly, I just think for some reason people’s stuff comes out in topics like this in particular and it’s not really the intent of the topic at all. I’m not saying you in particular, I’m just saying it gets so far off the original intent that it turns into something else. A topic that nobody here really wants to discuss.

I’m a black French-Canadian, (we don’t use the term Afro-Canadian in Canada) I know what edges are, that’s why I said it’s more of a black thing. Does it apply to all black people knowing what they are? Probably not. It’s kind of like thinking a  white American would know what Hutspots is. It probably is a regional thing more than a slang thing.

There is  a thread of commonality that's known and shared among different black cultures and ethnic groups. There's no harm in saying that, or even seeking it out if one so chooses. I'm just going to go ahead and say it, since people are tiptoeing around it - You have a lot of racist bigots in this forum, who project their own misguided hatred onto others, by eagerly latching on to posts such as this one and purposely misconstruing the OPs words.

The original intent of the OP gets twisted and turned into some warped version of itself, until the entire meaning behind it is lost in a melee of maliciousness, false accusations, and cries of intolerance. "How dare they seek out other [insert racial, ethnic group here]?! I find this offensive, although it has nothing whatsoever to do with me! The audacity!"

FFS - get a grip, get a life, and get over it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Hutspots

Well honestly, anyone not knowing hutspot can not be taken seriously...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

You better keep that whole thing about the natural hair community on the low low as well. Otherwise, they'll think we're going to rise up against them with hair picks and a jar of coconut oil. Although, a lot of mischief can be had from the coconut oil alone! :D

Oops, did I just tell them? Oh well, they were bound to find out anyway!

Edited by Kristen Beornssen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

There is  a thread of commonality that's known and shared among different black cultures and ethnic groups. There's no harm in saying that, or even seeking it out if one so chooses. I'm just going to go ahead and say it, since people are tiptoeing around it - You have a lot of racist bigots in this forum, who project their own misguided hatred onto others, by eagerly latching on to posts such as this one and purposely misconstruing the OPs words.

The original intent of the OP gets twisted and turned into some warped version of itself, until the entire meaning behind it is lost in a melee of maliciousness, false accusations, and cries of intolerance. "How dare they seek out other [insert racial, ethnic group here]?! I find this offensive, although it has nothing whatsoever to do with me! The audacity!"

FFS - get a grip, get a life, and get over it.

I agree, but at the same time. I think there is a certain degree of simple unawareness or not seeing a certain perspective at play here too.

Topics like this always seem to attract the usual suspects, but it also seems to attract people that say “But SL is all inclusive, I can be black, white, Asian or a dragon if I want. Why are you trying to be exclusive? I can be black, why don’t you want to talk to me? I...I...have have friends of all appearances!” The thing is they just don’t realize that there’s certain things you can’t have a conversation about and sometimes you just want to. Sometimes you just want to talk about something and you might feel if you bring up certain topics, it might cause them to say something that wasn’t the best thing to say, that might put your friendship in jeopardy. 

I think the intention of some people is good. It’s just kind of like over compensating? I don’t know how to put it.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, janetosilio said:

I agree, but at the same time. I think there is a certain degree of simple unawareness or not seeing a certain perspective at play here too.

Topics like this always seem to attract the usual suspects, but it also seems to attract people that say “But SL is all inclusive, I can be black, white, Asian or a dragon if I want. Why are you trying to be exclusive? I can be black, why don’t you want to talk to me? I...I...have have friends of all appearances!” The thing is they just don’t realize that there’s certain things you can’t have a conversation about and sometimes you just want to. Sometimes you just want to talk about something and you might feel if you bring up certain topics, it might cause them to say something that wasn’t the best thing to say, that might put your friendship in jeopardy. 

I think the intention of some people is good. It’s just kind of like over compensating? I don’t know how to put it.

Case in point, where is the similar drama in this thread? It's nonexistent. What you've said is true, but if a person is coming to this forum with good intentions of trying to find others with whom they share commonalities, they shouldn't have to endure undergoing the 3rd degree by the usual suspects. It's typically the same handful perpetrators in each case, who seek out and jump into certain threads with the sole intent of derailing it for whatever nefarious reason. I've seen it happen here time and time again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, janetosilio said:

*googles madly to keep up*

8EC6977F-A101-439C-A49D-C6F353EE4485.gif

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

*googles madly to keep up*

8EC6977F-A101-439C-A49D-C6F353EE4485.gif

I don’t think Just for Me will come up even if you google it...you just have to know. Even though it had commercials and a theme song “Just for meeeeeeee! Just for me!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I don’t think Just for Me will come up even if you google it...you just have to know. Even though it had commercials and a theme song “Just for meeeeeeee! Just for me!”

I was kidding about looking stuff up, but you gave me enough details to be curious!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Oh, I know!! You have the patience of a saint sometimes. Seriously. 🙄

1 minute ago, janetosilio said:

Girl yes!! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

That instantly made me think of this:

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was kidding about looking stuff up, but you gave me enough details to be curious!

So was I but that was my jam!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think some people are so fragile in their identities, or perhaps lacking a sense of personal culture, that they are upset when other cultural groups self-select for any purpose. As if, it proves something “bad” when groups congregate. It’s human nature.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think some people are so fragile in their identities, or perhaps lacking a sense of personal culture, that they are upset when other cultural groups self-select for any purpose. As if, it proves something “bad” when groups congregate. It’s human nature.

I think that’s a good way of looking at it. The thing is it seem to happen a lot with “black” topics and it’s noticable.

It is a thing people do. That’s why there are “Chinatowns” everywhere and ethnic neighborhoods. It’s ok for SL to be inclusionary and have ethnic neighborhoods.

A few years ago, me and my gay best friend went on a road trip to Texas. Don’t ask me why Texas, but we were walking around San Antonio and he said “This is it!” I’m like this is what? And he was like “this is their gay neighborhood we have to explore!” I wasn’t like, why do we have to be in that type of neighborhood? San Antonio is sooo integrated. I was all “Yaaas!” And we had a blast and it was just because he knew where he was and he wanted to be there for a while, it wasn’t personal and I didn’t take it that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

44 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I think that’s a good way of looking at it. The thing is it seem to happen a lot with “black” topics and it’s noticable.

It is a thing people do. That’s why there are “Chinatowns” everywhere and ethnic neighborhoods. It’s ok for SL to be inclusionary and have ethnic neighborhoods.

A few years ago, me and my gay best friend went on a road trip to Texas. Don’t ask me why Texas, but we were walking around San Antonio and he said “This is it!” I’m like this is what? And he was like “this is their gay neighborhood we have to explore!” I wasn’t like, why do we have to be in that type of neighborhood? San Antonio is sooo integrated. I was all “Yaaas!” And we had a blast and it was just because he knew where he was and he wanted to be there for a while, it wasn’t personal and I didn’t take it that way.

The next time you guys are up this way or around the Dallas area, take him through Oaklawn. There's loads to do and lots to explore. He'll have a blast! Plus, it's nestled within a cozy, historical community.

https://neighborhoods.dmagazine.com/dallas/central-dallas/oak-lawn/

Edited by Kristen Beornssen
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I'm sorry, the Dad in me just has to let this out... My gay best friend and I. That is all. My kids hate when i do that to them, but they now correct themselves. 

I guess it's because i grew up in a very very diverse neighborhood and all the kids were friends that i don't see the need to break up into groups based on skin color or racial ancestry. We had it hard enough being the poor working class section of a fairly wealthy city without making the group into smaller ones. We would go to school events and kids from other parts of town would rip on us and our only defense was sticking together like a school of fish. Poor Jerry, he always got caught on the outer ring.. He was never the same after the mashed potato incident. 

22 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I'm sorry, the Dad in me just has to let this out... My gay best friend and I. That is all. My kids hate when i do that to them, but they now correct themselves. 

I guess it's because i grew up in a very very diverse neighborhood and all the kids were friends that i don't see the need to break up into groups based on skin color or racial ancestry. We had it hard enough being the poor working class section of a fairly wealthy city without making the group into smaller ones. We would go to school events and kids from other parts of town would rip on us and our only defense was sticking together like a school of fish. Poor Jerry, he always got caught on the outer ring.. He was never the same after the mashed potato incident. 

It sounds like your part of town had its own identity. Why? Weren't you all living in the same city?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

See Drake, you’re kind of making my point for me. I’m Canadian, waaaaaay more integrated than the US, yet there are ethnic neighborhoods in any major Canadian city. In Montreal alone there is Petite-Bourgogne (gentrified), Hochelaga-Maisonneuve and Montréal-nord. You can have integration and still group together. I’m sure you had minority friends and your childhood was like Maniac McGee. 

You’re bringing your own stuff into this though. That little anecdote is a good example. It’s a good story, but it’s not what the op was asking for. While it makes you sound cool and understanding, you’re kind of discounting her intent and in this case you’re making yourself sound a little cringy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

You better keep that whole thing about the natural hair community on the low low as well. Otherwise, they'll think we're going to rise up against them with hair picks and a jar of coconut oil. Although, a lot of mischief can be had from the coconut oil alone! :D

Oops, did I just tell them? Oh well, they were bound to find out anyway!

At least you didn't mention Jheri Curl. There would have been a riot. xD

/me dives back under her rock on the rez

31 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

At least you didn't mention Jheri Curl. There would have been a riot. xD

/me dives back under her rock on the rez

Were Jheri Curls still a fad, I might have. LOL ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It sounds like your part of town had its own identity. Why? Weren't you all living in the same city?

We were poor, perhaps you missed that. we didn't have the latest fashion, or backpacks, our clothing was hand me down. You just love to pick and choose what to read out of my posts. 

You’re bringing your own stuff into this though. That little anecdote is a good example. It’s a good story, but it’s not what the op was asking for. While it makes you sound cool and understanding, you’re kind of discounting her intent and in this case you’re making yourself sound a little cringy. 

Well, seeing as the OP has edited the OP since posting it back in November, we really don't know what she was originally asking for, do we. It was NOT the all inclusive post it is now. But hey, I'm cringy for wanting everyone to get along. What the hell was cringy about what i posted? 

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Well, seeing as the OP has edited the OP since posting it back in November, we really don't know what she was originally asking for, do we.

Might want to back that horse up a bit and re-read a post. I believe the last sentence in the post is the one you want to take a gander at.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/430309-where-are-all-the-black-people/?tab=comments#comment-1825522

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Well, seeing as the OP has edited the OP since posting it back in November, we really don't know what she was originally asking for, do we. It was NOT the all inclusive post it is now. But hey, I'm cringy for wanting everyone to get along. What the hell was cringy about what i posted? 

Right, she edited the post because people had the same kind of reaction they’re having now and she attempted to clarify it. The intent wasn’t to be exclusive, people chose to take it that way. Even after the edit people are still choosing to take it that way.

I explained why it was cringy, but I’ll do it again: your anecdote makes you relatable, but at the same time she wasn’t really trying to relate to you. Not because she doesn’t want to, SL being SL says she can relate to you already, or someone like you. She was asking for help finding places she can go to relate with people she can relate to people in other ways.

Look at it another way. Let’s say this was a meat lovers forum. Someone posts, “Hey, where do I find hot dogs in this city? I like meat, but I really want a hot dog sometimes.” It’s still meat, it’s just a certain kind of thing they’re looking for. Then somebody comes along with a story about how they ate hot dogs when they were young because they were poor and that’s all they had. Sure they’re attempting to relate, but it’s really not helping or answering the question. Never mind all the stuff about “Oh my god, why do you want hot dogs? You can have hamburgers or steak or Chinese food! Why does it have to be hot dogs?” Or “why does nobody ask about lamb?”

Its just cringy...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Might want to back that horse up a bit and re-read a post. I believe the last sentence in the post is the one you want to take a gander at.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/430309-where-are-all-the-black-people/?tab=comments#comment-1825522

Might want to re-read what i wrote... She edited that line in. 

2 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Right, she edited the post because people had the same kind of reaction they’re having now and she attempted to clarify it. The intent wasn’t to be exclusive, people chose to take it that way. Even after the edit people are still choosing to take it that way.

I explained why it was cringy, but I’ll do it again: your anecdote makes you relatable, but at the same time she wasn’t really trying to relate to you. Not because she doesn’t want to, SL being SL says she can relate to you already, or someone like you. She was asking for help finding places she can go to relate with people she can relate to people in other ways.

Look at it another way. Let’s say this was a meat lovers forum. Someone posts, “Hey, where do I find hot dogs in this city? I like meat, but I really want a hot dog sometimes.” It’s still meat, it’s just a certain kind of thing they’re looking for. Then somebody comes along with a story about how they ate hot dogs when they were young because they were poor and that’s all they had. Sure they’re attempting to relate, but it’s really not helping or answering the question. Never mind all the stuff about “Oh my god, why do you want hot dogs? You can have hamburgers or steak or Chinese food! Why does it have to be hot dogs?” Or “why does nobody ask about lamb?”

Its just cringy...

I don't think your using cringy in the way you mean to. How exactly do you know she wasnt trying to relate to me? Where have i said what skin color i have? Thats one of the great things about SL, your RL can have no association to SL.

Also, with all of the side comments between people here, you decide to keep saying I am off topic? Wow.