22 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You're assuming that literal skin color is the trait that's being used to establish group membership.

The title of the thread literally says "Where are all the black people..." Aside from skin color, what would black people from around the world have in common? Please don't say ancestors that were slaves as there are plenty of people in SL who actually live in Africa and have never experienced slavery. Looking to make a group based on skin color is stupid and separatist. 

I grew up in a very mixed neighborhood, one of the black families had a father who was an english professor at Harvard. He spoke with an eloquence that would rival any author. His twin brother however.... Sounded like a gang banger extra from an Ice Cube video. Same parents, same schooling, different life paths. Basing anything on skin color alone is just plain wrong. 

I for one am very tired of the phrases African American, Asian American, Italian AMerican, Irish American, Polish American and whatever other _____-American there is. Why is it acceptable to use in the US but you rarely hear of it elsewhere. Ildris Elba calls himself an Englishman, Not an African Englishman. Morgan Freeman calls himself black. I call myself American, granted i dont say it as loudly as i did 3 years ago, but its still there. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The title of the thread literally says "Where are all the black people..." Aside from skin color, what would black people from around the world have in common? Please don't say ancestors that were slaves as there are plenty of people in SL who actually live in Africa and have never experienced slavery. Looking to make a group based on skin color is stupid and separatist. 

I grew up in a very mixed neighborhood, one of the black families had a father who was an english professor at Harvard. He spoke with an eloquence that would rival any author. His twin brother however.... Sounded like a gang banger extra from an Ice Cube video. Same parents, same schooling, different life paths. Basing anything on skin color alone is just plain wrong. 

I for one am very tired of the phrases African American, Asian American, Italian AMerican, Irish American, Polish American and whatever other _____-American there is. Why is it acceptable to use in the US but you rarely hear of it elsewhere. Ildris Elba calls himself an Englishman, Not an African Englishman. Morgan Freeman calls himself black. I call myself American, granted i dont say it as loudly as i did 3 years ago, but its still there. 

What part of America are you from? Brazil? Canada?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I for one am very tired of the phrases African American, Asian American, Italian AMerican, Irish American, Polish American and whatever other _____-American there is. Why is it acceptable to use in the US but you rarely hear of it elsewhere.

French Canadians...

21 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Ildris Elba calls himself an Englishman, Not an African Englishman.

Have you considered the possibility that he points that out because there may be other Englishmen who don't consider him an "Englishman" at all?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You're assuming that literal skin color is the trait that's being used to establish group membership.

Well not talking about a "group membership" really, not sure where that comes from. But judging the topic is "Where are all the black people" I did assume that she was looking to connect to people purely based on skin color yes, and my question was purely what would motivate that, what would you "get" out of it. I'm not native English speaking so maybe my word choice is not always the right :)

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not questioning the action itself. I mean, if you would like to meet up with only blonde people with green eyes, or whatever, good for you. I'm merely curious about the reasoning.

Edited by Zeta Vandyke
spelling
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 10:07 AM, Kristen Beornssen said:

... I'm sure that most other minority groups feel the same way.

Yeah, where are all the bookbinders at? 🤔

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

French Canadians...

I did say rarely.. 

36 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Have you considered the possibility that he points that out because there may be other Englishmen who don't consider him an "Englishman" at all?

Why would i think that, he was born and raised in England.. Who wouldn't consider him English? 

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I think there is a convention in Reno...

Oh? I'm pretty sure the Guild of Bookworkers over in the US do quite a few conventions and stuff, their community is actually very friendly and I've got contact with several binders across the pond. The European guilds had a convention in.. Was it Madrid or Barcelona, last year.

Besides, I -did- find a bookbindery in Caledon ages ago. 

4 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the attraction in actively seeking out people with the same skin color on a world wide platform? Seriously wondering, because since its world wide, even if the skin color can be the same, the cultural difference coming from where people come from generally means the skin color is probably the only thing you would have in common. Unless you would selectively seek for example African American people for example?

From my own preferences, I tend to actively avoid other Dutch people in SL more than seeking them, because I find it enriching to hang out with people with various cultures and backgrounds. Enough Dutch people in my RL already :) 

This is not meant as disrespectful or negative in any way, just seriously curious about the motivation.

THIS. Everything else feels like an intentional splitting-of-hairs.

5 hours ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

That's why I said: "I'm sure that most other minority groups feel the same way." I've had friends from all walks of life and from various ethnicities,  express their frustration at trying to find people with whom they share similar backgrounds and cultural experiences. It can be challenging at times.

Based on the context of your statement, these seem to be real-life friends. In SL, however, it's a different story. For example, I have a"black-skinned" avatar. So should I answer this thread and raise my hand? Because the OP appeared to be looking for other look-alikes and didn't really mention anything about particular cultural experiences.

This is my primary point. It would make a lot of sense if the thread were more like "Where are all the furries?" or "Where are all the robots?" And now I am going to call out the elephant in the room and say what many are thinking: There is a racism smell to the whole thing because the subject is *skin color* and not about culture - intentionally or not, it still has that air about it (and I'm not saying that it is and neither is racism a one-way street.)

Either way, I am thinking enough is enough - there are many "charged" subjects of discussion, the two primary always-avoid-to-maintain-friendships are politics and religion. Perhaps this would be the third.

I'm made my points about the *apparent* subject matter of the thread and so I will try to bow out gracefully from here and let the thread fizzle or have its door closed and locked.

In the end, it's a shame that poor communication education can turn what I believe to be a genuinely innocent and innocuous post like the OP into a long debate about skin color and cultures. :)

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

That story makes ZERo sense, Moore never says what he means by the phrase "English-English." Are we to infer he meant white? Also to note apparently even Idris agrees with my statement.. "Nor is he so keen on the term 'black Bond'. 'We don't say 'white Bond', we just say 'Bond',' said Elba. 'So I hate that phrase.' "Apparently skin color doesn't need to be stated. 

ETA, Moore never says he isn't English, he says he isn't English-English enough to play Bond. So, your posting that as a rebuttal doesn't fly. Moore is just a stuck up prig. 

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire

11 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

That story makes ZERo sense, Moore never says what he means by the phrase "English-English." Are we to infer he meant white? 

What are our other options as to what he might have meant?

12 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

ETA, Moore never says he isn't English, he says he isn't English-English enough to play Bond. 

The "hyphenated-Americans" you criticized don't say that they aren't American either.

James Bond is an interesting concept overall, as he's morphing from a specific character as he was originally written to a sort of idea or transferrable role. Because if James Bond is the character originally created by Ian Fleming, it's clear that he should be a Scottish-Swiss Caucasian.

It's also clear that, in a current modern-day movie, he should be well over 90 years old.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the attraction in actively seeking out people with the same skin color on a world wide platform?

It’s pretty simple. It’s mainly little things that sometimes occur in a conversation.

Here’s a really good inworld example: One day in one of the head groups a girl asked “Where can I find a hair base with good edges?” If you already know what edges are, gold star, but i’ll explain. Edges are a term mostly black people use for baby hairs. For black women, having edges are kind of a thing and they’re a little more stylized than “wisps of hair around your temples.” So it turned into “what are edges?” Followed by many recommendations of hair bases that decidedly DON’T have edges in the sense she was looking for. It was a simple question that turned into some whole other thing that wasn’t the intention to begin with (sort of like this thread).

Sometimes you just want to have those kind of conversations without drama. SL is about connecting with people, I think we can all agree on that. Thing is, it’s little things like that, that cause a disconnect. Sometimes you want to have a conversation about music with someone who knows who Sza or H.E.R is without it turning into “Who’s that? Oh...well I prefer Florence and the Machine....” 

I know SL is supposed to be this all inclusive place and it is to a certain extent, particularly when it comes to little things like diversity. This isn’t about that, it’s about connecting with people beyond having a “black avatar”. It’s about finding someone you can relate to about things and experiences not everybody has.

I don’t see anything wrong with that. She was asking the question for things like that, not to start The Black Nationalist Army. It was a harmless question that turned into a thing that, quite frankly turned into a something that makes quite a few responses seem very insensitive. I know the intent might have been to attempt point out how inclusive SL is, but it really doesn’t come off that way, it might actually come off as quite the opposite.

Just something to think about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

When you find out, can I haz the landmark, please? I’ve heard they’re a riotous bunch :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Ren Toxx said:
2 hours ago, Orwar said:

When you find out, can I haz the landmark, please? I’ve heard they’re a riotous bunch :ph34r:

Is binding like um, “rope play”?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I’m an out-of-the-box thinker. I’d immediately find creative uses for dem binders.

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Bildresultat för you don't want to know gif

26 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

It’s pretty simple. It’s mainly little things that sometimes occur in a conversation.

Here’s a really good inworld example: One day in one of the head groups a girl asked “Where can I find a hair base with good edges?” If you already know what edges are, gold star, but i’ll explain. Edges are a term mostly black people use for baby hairs. For black women, having edges are kind of a thing and they’re a little more stylized than “wisps of hair around your temples.” So it turned into “what are edges?” Followed by many recommendations of hair bases that decidedly DON’T have edges in the sense she was looking for. It was a simple question that turned into some whole other thing that wasn’t the intention to begin with (sort of like this thread).

Sometimes you just want to have those kind of conversations without drama. SL is about connecting with people, I think we can all agree on that. Thing is, it’s little things like that, that cause a disconnect. Sometimes you want to have a conversation about music with someone who knows who Sza or H.E.R is without it turning into “Who’s that? Oh...well I prefer Florence and the Machine....” 

I know SL is supposed to be this all inclusive place and it is to a certain extent, particularly when it comes to little things like diversity. This isn’t about that, it’s about connecting with people beyond having a “black avatar”. It’s about finding someone you can relate to about things and experiences not everybody has.

I don’t see anything wrong with that. She was asking the question for things like that, not to start The Black Nationalist Army. It was a harmless question that turned into a thing that, quite frankly turned into a something that makes quite a few responses seem very insensitive. I know the intent might have been to attempt point out how inclusive SL is, but it really doesn’t come off that way, it might actually come off as quite the opposite.

Just something to think about.

Thank you, very clear answer. I surely do not see anything wrong with the op's question and hope I did not come over as so. And indeed, I had no idea what "edges" were :)

Do expect the slang you mention is mostly Afro American? Since they are english?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Why you be giving out our secrets!!!?  Let them sit here and wonder what we are up to! I think I need to send a task force to hunt you down lol

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Based on the context of your statement, these seem to be real-life friends. In SL, however, it's a different story. For example, I have a"black-skinned" avatar. So should I answer this thread and raise my hand? Because the OP appeared to be looking for other look-alikes and didn't really mention anything about particular cultural experiences.

This is my primary point. It would make a lot of sense if the thread were more like "Where are all the furries?" or "Where are all the robots?" And now I am going to call out the elephant in the room and say what many are thinking: There is a racism smell to the whole thing because the subject is *skin color* and not about culture - intentionally or not, it still has that air about it (and I'm not saying that it is and neither is racism a one-way street.)

Either way, I am thinking enough is enough - there are many "charged" subjects of discussion, the two primary always-avoid-to-maintain-friendships are politics and religion. Perhaps this would be the third.

I'm made my points about the *apparent* subject matter of the thread and so I will try to bow out gracefully from here and let the thread fizzle or have its door closed and locked.

In the end, it's a shame that poor communication education can turn what I believe to be a genuinely innocent and innocuous post like the OP into a long debate about skin color and cultures. :)

I was referring to my friends in Second Life, as I've had friends from all races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, sexualities, religions, and many nationalities. Though, that would also apply to my real life friends as well. I don't limit my interactions with people based on anything as specific as any of those things I've just listed. But I do understand the need for minority groups, within a majority setting, to seek out one another. As with the OP -  I'm sure it boils down to more than just a matter of 'skin color', and she is looking for others with whom she shares a common solidarity.

If people want to jump to conclusions, make racist assumptions, and get all offended by that (doesn't take much in this group), that's their prerogative, but then it becomes a matter of them projecting their on bigotry and intolerance onto others. 

Edited by Kristen Beornssen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Thank you, very clear answer. I surely do not see anything wrong with the op's question and hope I did not come over as so. And indeed, I had no idea what "edges" were :)

Do expect the slang you mention is mostly Afro American? Since they are english?

Honestly, I just think for some reason people’s stuff comes out in topics like this in particular and it’s not really the intent of the topic at all. I’m not saying you in particular, I’m just saying it gets so far off the original intent that it turns into something else. A topic that nobody here really wants to discuss.

I’m a black French-Canadian, (we don’t use the term Afro-Canadian in Canada) I know what edges are, that’s why I said it’s more of a black thing. Does it apply to all black people knowing what they are? Probably not. It’s kind of like thinking a  white American would know what Hutspots is. It probably is a regional thing more than a slang thing.

• Like 3