What about not caring one way or another what skin colour someone else is and treating everyone as human beings?

Makes life a lot more enjoyable.

I've black and caucasian avatars, male and female, human, drow, animals, robots, I'm still me under the hood.

SL allows me all that, and to have friends from all over the planet. Why should I limit myself to interacting only with people who're the same as me? Why should you?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jwenting said:

What about not caring one way or another what skin colour someone else is and treating everyone as human beings?

Makes life a lot more enjoyable.

I've black and caucasian avatars, male and female, human, drow, animals, robots, I'm still me under the hood.

SL allows me all that, and to have friends from all over the planet. Why should I limit myself to interacting only with people who're the same as me? Why should you?

Exactly on last line however reminds me of recent conversation I had with person in club I work at, as I'm a neko/kitteh girl... he said he had to stay away from because he's a dog boy; which amused me and still does.

• Like 1

I know the feeling. I am a black woman in SL and RL. when I started here I saw lots of black folks but know can't seem to find them n more.  It gets a bit lonely when you want to associate yourself with your people and is impossible. Am  an African American woman

Edited by Baaba
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

Hello!

We're around, here and there! Though, I haven't been on much as of late, so I can't tell you where to find them inworld these days.

Omg!!! Girrrrrrrrllll! I missed your butt! Welcome back! \o/

• Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 11:41 AM, janetosilio said:

Omg!!! Girrrrrrrrllll! I missed your butt! Welcome back! \o/

Heya Girl!  Sorry, I've been away for so long. I took a hiatus from Second Life all together, for a bit, but I'm slowly trying to get back into the swing of things. How have you been???

Edited by Kristen Beornssen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

Heya Girl!  Sorry, I've been away for so long. I took a hiatus from Second Life all together, for a bit, but I'm slowly trying to get back into the swing of things. How have you been???

I've been good. Next time we meet up in world I'll probably be able to show you what I've been up to. I think you'll find it very interesting!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 4:54 AM, Baaba said:

I know the feeling. I am a black woman in SL and RL. when I started here I saw lots of black folks but know can't seem to find them n more.  It gets a bit lonely when you want to associate yourself with your people and is impossible. Am  an African American woman

however people like to connect to likewise or related groups, stating this so clear gives me a sour taste in my mouth

you'll understand perhaps when i change just a few  words... the whole anti racist movement would let the forums explode

"I know the feeling. I am a caucasian male in SL and RL. when I started here I saw lots of caucasian folks but know can't seem to find them n more.  It gets a bit lonely when you want to associate yourself with your people and is impossible. Am  an caucasian european male".

If this thread had stayed only to point to certain groups... ok... but this slides slowly but steadely to seperationism between peopel of differen skin color.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I've been good. Next time we meet up in world I'll probably be able to show you what I've been up to. I think you'll find it very interesting!

Oh really? I can't wait to see it! I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade or not, I still like my current look.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:54 PM, Baaba said:

Yeah, considering we are a minority here, I'm sure that most other minority groups feel the same way.  I posted this in another thread, but check out some of the black fraternities and sororities, you'll find a lot of people there.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

Yeah, considering we are a minority here,

Try finding other Asians, and that's an ambiguous collection, not to mention specific sub-groups like Korean, Chinese, Japanese - because we are NOT the same.

11 hours ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

Yeah, considering we are a minority here, I'm sure that most other minority groups feel the same way

Some of us do. I can't speak for all of us though.

12 hours ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

Yeah, considering we are a minority here, I'm sure that most other minority groups feel the same way.

Everybody in SL belong to some sort of minority group but some minority groups are louder than others.

The Civilization at Keswick is a club is open to everybody - at least I've always felt welcome the few times I've been able to visit - but is run by an African American, mainly visited by African Americans and very much based on a laidback African American style. I think the events there are around 6 PM SLT every Tuesday, which unfortunately is 3 AM in my time zone.

Edited by ChinRey

13 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

however people like to connect to likewise or related groups, stating this so clear gives me a sour taste in my mouth

you'll understand perhaps when i change just a few  words... the whole anti racist movement would let the forums explode

"I know the feeling. I am a caucasian male in SL and RL. when I started here I saw lots of caucasian folks but know can't seem to find them n more.  It gets a bit lonely when you want to associate yourself with your people and is impossible. Am  an caucasian european male".

If this thread had stayed only to point to certain groups... ok... but this slides slowly but steadely to seperationism between peopel of differen skin color.

Describe to us a time when you had difficulty finding other Caucasian European males in Second Life.

Now, if you were in, say, Japan and feeling a bit lonely - might you seek out others who have similar background and experiences to you?

There's a difference between seeking those who are like you and avoiding those who are different from you.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

There's a difference between seeking those who are like you and avoiding those who are different from you.

This is a great way to word it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MirandaBowers said:

This is a great way to word it

I was trying to think of a way to word it without fanning the proverbial SL forum flames. That did pretty much nail the sentiment.

Edited by janetosilio
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Try finding other Asians, and that's an ambiguous collection, not to mention specific sub-groups like Korean, Chinese, Japanese - because we are NOT the same.

I used to hang around in the Japanese SL community (when Combat Samurai Island was popular). Very fun bunch and also very welcoming. I kinda lost touch recently so I don't know what activities they do together now. There are still art and music events, and of course shopping.

There used to be Korean and Chinese communities (roleplay of a sort) but that was years ago. Kowloon is still around. Where the young folk now hang out I do not know.

I bump into Southeast Asians (Indo, Sing and Malaysian) now and then but haven't found any place in particular they congregate. 

(Sorry for the off topic - I think there was another thread on Asian communities but it was a while back)

13 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

That's why I said: "I'm sure that most other minority groups feel the same way." I've had friends from all walks of life and from various ethnicities,  express their frustration at trying to find people with whom they share similar backgrounds and cultural experiences. It can be challenging at times.

Edited by Kristen Beornssen
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Everybody in SL belong to some sort of minority group but some minority groups are louder than others.

The Civilization at Keswick is a club is open to everybody - at least I've always felt welcome the few times I've been able to visit - but is run by an African American, mainly visited by African Americans and very much based on a laidback African American style. I think the events there are around 6 PM SLT every Tuesday, which unfortunately is 3 AM in my time zone.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I'm always on the lookout for new places to visit. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Describe to us

you exactly prove my point, you don't read what i say but only lift the line out i use as example.

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, what is the attraction in actively seeking out people with the same skin color on a world wide platform? Seriously wondering, because since its world wide, even if the skin color can be the same, the cultural difference coming from where people come from generally means the skin color is probably the only thing you would have in common. Unless you would selectively seek for example African American people for example?

From my own preferences, I tend to actively avoid other Dutch people in SL more than seeking them, because I find it enriching to hang out with people with various cultures and backgrounds. Enough Dutch people in my RL already :) 

This is not meant as disrespectful or negative in any way, just seriously curious about the motivation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I tend to actively avoid other Dutch people in SL .

Enough Dutch people in my RL already :)

heee pas op he..   😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the attraction in actively seeking out people with the same skin color on a world wide platform? Seriously wondering, because since its world wide, even if the skin color can be the same, the cultural difference coming from where people come from generally means the skin color is probably the only thing you would have in common. Unless you would selectively seek for example African American people for example?

From my own preferences, I tend to actively avoid other Dutch people in SL more than seeking them, because I find it enriching to hang out with people with various cultures and backgrounds. Enough Dutch people in my RL already :) 

This is not meant as disrespectful or negative in any way, just seriously curious about the motivation.

You're assuming that literal skin color is the trait that's being used to establish group membership.

In the United States, there are things like a television network called CMT ("Country Music Television") and a dating service that says in its name that it's for "Farmers Only." The people that those companies are catering to as a group generally have a quite a bit in common - you can make assumptions about where their ancestors for a few generations back grew up, the type of music they listen to, the things they like to eat, what religion they follow and many other general cultural traits.

The interesting thing is that not all of those people live in the "country" or work on a farm, and not all of the people who do live in the country and work on a farm would be considered members of that group, either by the members of the group or by the people themselves. The reason for that is the words "country" and "farmer" in the title are used as a sort of shorthand to describe those shared cultural traits instead of the literal meaning of the words.

• Like 1