It's quite sad, but I used to intentionally create an avatar that was of lighter skintone to make up for the lack of attention I got from being a darker skintone. I learned to embrace my IRL skintone in SL and found many more problems. It all depends on how you carry yourself. I would say use Facebook to find them. I found a ton running RP sims and such.

• Like 4

Hello All,

I use to ask the same questions like where we all were, where were all the black men and sisters and where are the black sl communities. Being black myself, I have always found it to be a challenge however the community I reside in is black operated. I'm sure no one may know of locations but if so, please feel free to share them. Being here almost 8 years and not sure where to turn is frustrating. I am looking to also extend my family so please feel free to IM me( alianadiaz resident). I do not come on here often so my response may be delayed. Happy hunting and blessings lol. Chat soon. 

Dr. Taylor

• Like 3

I've know a couple of Native American people in SL. One was a teacher. Another is a builder/ creator.
(I wanted to delete this comment because I think it's off-topic, but couldn't find the delete option.)

Edited by Persephone Emerald

To the OP, i had a conversation along this vein with someone I met at an event with a slightly different slant. Mostly, I'm approached in a racial roleplay or sexual raceplay vein by people who are only playing black on sl. After a spate of those encounters left a bad taste in my mouth I ended up approaching someone who's profile made it pretty clear he was also black in RL. Not something I generally feel the need to do as I pick my associates based on compatibility rather than race. But there is some comfort in the shorthand that can be offered by someone who is likely to have similar experiences.

Anyway, we chatted a little about the rp thing and whether there's a 'black community' in sl and the ways and means we use to gauge whether or not someone is genuine. I think, like a lot of sl at large, you'll find small pockets of not formal communities, but groups of friends or social groups and 'families'. Apparently, for some black folks the extended 'family' dynamic is popular. And the families often have groups associated with them. I've seen some evidence of this. It's not my thing but maybe it will be useful to you?

• Like 3

On 11/28/2018 at 3:44 AM, AyelaNewLife said:

Hiya; we had a similar thread a while back, and one of the main points raised was that the number of actual black players was being diluted by the black male avatars that were here for sexual fetish reasons only, and were often (but certainly not always) not actually black behind the keyboard. It's kinda hard to find or even create hangout spots for black people, as the search window gets drowned with sims targeted at the sexual fetish crowd, but they do exist... I just have no idea where they are :/

This was the problem I had as a multi-racial person when I first came to SL and searched for words like "Inca", "Interracial", "Asian", and even "Latina"...

- And oddly enough, even the first term went to a sex-sim for Gor...

I suspect I am the ONLY actual (part) Amazonian person who has ever been to the 'Amazon Rainforest' sex-RP sims here... Even most of the avatars there are blonds...

It's why I have a note about "I'm not exotic or ethnic" in my profile, and at times I've also had versions of "I'm not your fetish". Which gets complicated because I do hang out on nude and adult venues a lot... But I have just as much right to express myself on those places as a white person... and nobody has any business turning that into their race-fantasy...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/27/2018 at 6:29 AM, Syo Emerald said:

Too bad the audio quality is terrible in  most of her videos and judgeing by her newest SL videos, she seems to have lost her grip on reality and settled for a 24h victim mentality.

I am learning how to edit and with having damage to my voice box, it can be challenging but thank you for adding to the fuel that I need to continue doing what I like.

People like you are the reason why some stop doing what they enjoy. Maybe you should check on your humanity and not worry about what I need to check on. Happy New Year!

Edited by Emuna Zamani
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Emuna Zamani said:

I am learning how to edit and with having damage to my voice box, it can be challenging but thank you for adding to the fuel that I need to continue doing what I like.

People like you are the reason why some stop doing what they enjoy. Maybe you should check on your humanity and not worry about what I need to check on. Happy New Year!

Don’t even worry about it. Your thoughts and ideas are nice to hear because they’re different! The community needs that.

Expect push back!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Don’t even worry about it. Your thoughts and ideas are nice to hear because they’re different! The community needs that.

Expect push back!

Thank you! I hope that we all start doing that "thing" that we have wanted to but were hesitant because of certain types of people.

• Like 2

I would opine that SL is different from RL when it comes to meeting people of "real" RL racial groups. "Reality" based systems like Facebook or Tinder might have an advantage in this instance.

SL has a large component of Residents whose typists took "your world; your imagination" seriously and feel no real constraint to have their SL mirror their Real Life.

A case in point would be those of us with medical issues in RL who can be perceived as "normal" (whatever that is) in SL. I once fielded a comment from a resident who was wondering where all the handicapped people were in SL 🙂 There actually ARE handicapped avatars; but does that reflect RL? Who knows?

Avatars designed for participation in Roleplay sims (literary RP, not sexplay) can also skew the perceived demographics. When I was a moderator/Admin in a roleplay sim - one of my side jobs was to play whatever Non-Player-Characters were needed to advance the plotline. Result; an Inventory that has body-components of "a little bit of everything"

I see absolutely nothing wrong with people wanting to associate along "real" racial/gender/other lines; but that can be complicated by the large contingent who see what SL offers as a chance to be who they *want* to be as opposed to whomever heredity or chance made them.

..and when we encounter people who appear in SL differently than they might in RL; that's not automatically a malicious attempt to deceive...

...its just Second Life since about 2004 🙂

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Footnote 🙂

This thread caused me to realize something I hadn't thought about till now....

I have zero idea what the RL racial demographics of my circle of friends are. None. Zip.

I can *guess* a bit based on slang; but unless someone just happens to voice-DJ (and even that can be no measure); I've never had occasion to ask.

I KNOW I'm odd, but I think I just raised the bar on oddness.

I'm Partnered to the same person on Amanda and on my Original since 2005 (her Main and her Alt); and I've never asked her either 🙂

This was a pleasing epiphany 🙂

Edited by AmandaKeen

Hmmmm...I wonder why certain kind of response are only in threads like this, but you don’t see them in threads like “Where are my Asians?”

Just some food for thought.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

Footnote 🙂

This thread caused me to realize something I hadn't thought about till now....

I have zero idea what the RL racial demographics of my circle of friends are. None. Zip.

I've been 10 years in SL, and no one (neither friend nor random stranger) has ever asked me what my RL skin colour is. I assume they simply don't give a hoot, and I take that as a good thing 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with people wanting to associate along "real" racial/gender/other lines; but that can be complicated by the large contingent who see what SL offers as a chance to be who they *want* to be as opposed to whomever heredity or chance made them.

..and when we encounter people who appear in SL differently than they might in RL; that's not automatically a malicious attempt to deceive...

...its just Second Life since about 2004 🙂

/me searches posts for implications of malicious intent.

People have the right to explore whatever they choose in sl. When I first began I had a white alt for a couple of years because I wanted to be pretty just like any other girl and the dark skins were pretty ugly.  Getting a sense of what it was like to move through the world as 'just a girl' was revelatory. I've lived and worked in white spaces my entire life. The resulting stress and drama of walking into one of them for the first time as something unexpected was a sensation to which I'd become inured. For the first time, as a white person, I'd found the sense of anonymity for which I'd striven all of my life. It was restful.  But I missed being 'me' stress and drama aside...included, actually. And was happy to be myself full time as soon as a couple of skin-makers caught on that it would be worth their while to make nice looking dark skins.

Far be it from me to deny anyone else the experience of 'walking' in another's shoes, either for fun, or for any other reason. It's not comfortable for me, but there's no rule that anyone's growth or experimentation needs to be comfortable for everyone. Imbuing those black avatars with racial stereotypes...that's another kettle of fish. It's deeply offensive for some. It's less so for me, personally. Though I do understand why it upsets people.  

I get the desire to 'try' on another life. For many white people, the closest thing to significant intimacy they have with black people is through hip-hop, or other media. The content of the former is skewed by the demands of the marketplace and the latter by bias. I don't expect accuracy from someone wanting to 'try on' what it's like to be another race in sl. Also, some of those stereotypes help people attempting to explore attribbutes they would like to make a part of themselves, or which go unexpressed in real.

My issue, my only...hate like poison issue when it comes to nonblack people playing black avatars, is when they try to involve me or mine (PSA: nonblack girls into various kinds of raceplay, please understand most black people are deeeeply uncomfortable, if not completely revolted with and by this kink...obtain consent before trying to engage a guy in yours). I don't believe the intent to be malicious for the most part. Though I've had encounters with a number of jackasses trying to make some kind of gross point; I'd say the vast majority of people who see me out dancing at the beach or club, or shopping have not intended to be offensive when involving me in their racial roleplay or sexual raceplay. 

It's simple thoughtlessness.

For many, because they're not black in real, it doesn't always occur to them others might be. Or perhaps it does occur to them and they don't realize that a real black person, might feel some kind of way about being approached in a racialized or fetishized manner. So they hop in my IMs with some crap which either annoys me or makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

No malice intended.

Still. Damage done.

1 hour ago, Akane Nacht said:

I've been 10 years in SL, and no one (neither friend nor random stranger) has ever asked me what my RL skin colour is. I assume they simply don't give a hoot, and I take that as a good thing 🙂

I've had dark skin in sl  for 12 years  now and have lost count of the number of times friends and random strangers have asked my RL color. Apparently, people care more when it comes to some shades than others.  I don't take it as good or bad. Simply human nature. 

9 hours ago, janetosilio said:

Hmmmm...I wonder why certain kind of response are only in threads like this, but you don’t see them in threads like “Where are my Asians?”

Just some food for thought.

Yes.

Edited by Musetta Fieschi
  • Like 4

On 1/5/2019 at 1:27 PM, Musetta Fieschi said:

I've had dark skin in sl  for 12 years  now and have lost count of the number of times friends and random strangers have asked my RL color. Apparently, people care more when it comes to some shades than others.  I don't take it as good or bad. Simply human nature. 

We all have different experiences, so pretty hard to draw general conclusions on that.  I had a couple of alts that were dark-skinned, and no one ever asked me then either. What I meant by good was, people in SL seemed to engage with me as simply another wanderer in cyberspace, no better & no worse than any other, and my RL didn't matter if I didn't want it to. 

2 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

We all have different experiences, so pretty hard to draw general conclusions on that.  I had a couple of alts that were dark-skinned, and no one ever asked me then either. What I meant by good was, people in SL seemed to engage with me as simply another wanderer in cyberspace, no better & no worse than any other, and my RL didn't matter if I didn't want it to. 

Well, I don't think I drew a super complicated general conclusion. But I can clarify it to say: Apparently, some people care more about some shades than others. Which is something we can probably all acknowledge as true. And since it matters to you, I'm glad it wasn't your experience to run into them during those times you were in one of your dark-skinned alts! The sort of SL I lead (not into fantasy or rp)  tends to be more curious about people's real lives overall.

Vive la difference!

• Thanks 1

V4nessa18, I have to agree that avatars of color are rarer in SL than in RL,  but the reason could be as simple as fewer people of color in RL have the resources to game in SL, and not all that many whites would prefer to play a minority avatar.  Not racism, but lack of time, money, hi-speed internet, and literacy could all play there part.  Also, few skin designers in SL care to design skins and shapes for people of color, which are more than skin tones; eye shape, lips, skull shape, hip size, breast shape and size all go into designing non-white avatars.

As far as not receiving purchases items:  have you Becker "received items" at the very bottom of your inventory box?  That is where they should show up.

Jordane Mikoyan 

On 1/12/2019 at 11:02 AM, Jordane Mikoyan said:

V4nessa18, I have to agree that avatars of color are rarer in SL than in RL,  but the reason could be as simple as fewer people of color in RL have the resources to game in SL, and not all that many whites would prefer to play a minority avatar.  Not racism, but lack of time, money, hi-speed internet, and literacy could all play there part.  Also, few skin designers in SL care to design skins and shapes for people of color, which are more than skin tones; eye shape, lips, skull shape, hip size, breast shape and size all go into designing non-white avatars.

As far as not receiving purchases items:  have you Becker "received items" at the very bottom of your inventory box?  That is where they should show up.

Jordane Mikoyan 

I don't think she said or implied it was racism, just that she wanted a way to get in touch with black people who are in sl. There are plenty of us, some of us have avatars which reflect our skin color and others...Well let's say there are any number of people of various ethnicities in sl who are 'here but hiding' or just choosing to experience it in an avatar whose race is different from their own. 

• Like 1

Also, I’m not sure about the lack of high speed Internet, time, money or literacy (!) being factors. That sounds a little....odd. A country like Brazil (a large country with large black population) only lags behind the US as far as people with internet, and yes inexplicably people that live in favelas....have high speed internet. Even a country like Nigeria has over 50% of the population with internet. It probably has something to do with lack of marketing in Africa in general.

This had more to do with where black people in SL hang out. It’s a hard question to answer, because there aren’t really large clusters on one sim. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a black presence on SL. Which....is kind of a good thing.

This leads me to the next thing. Being black isn’t a monolithic thing. A black person from Brazil isn’t going to be the same as a black person from North America or say France. I’ve also tried pointing out being black does not necessarily mean having a dark, dark skin either. That’s a trap A LOT of people fall into.

I’m black, French-Canadian and biracial. That’s hard for even people from the US to wrap their heads around. So I’m sure when I choose a lighter than black as coal skin, many people overlook the fact that yes my avatar is black.

A few things to think about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The blacks are on facebook to be honest just like one user said. You can see them posting quite interesting reading material everyday.

Other than that, there is a male stripper sim called KingdomCumm which is 99% black males dancing, and just the environment is mostly blacks. So hang out there if you want.

Social games are more popular with middle aged white women.

i don't intend for that to be offensive to the middle aged white women but it's totally true

the same kind of people who play the sims, still own a desktop pc but not specifically a gaming pc, probably have a myspace page, other hobbies include attempting to out-Pinterest the Pinterest moms, many own at least 1.5 cats and have 1.5 kids

just a demographic, one that likes SL, so they kinda overshadow everyone else 

SL also attracts younger teenagers and various degenerates, specifically with the younger teenagers that would ever care about a social game, mainly middle class white kids who are bad at making friends, and the degenerates never play as who they really are irl

im a polish mexican irl, ain't nobody wanna see that genealogical derivation disaster of a body composition in SecondLife so I wear the skin of what was once a real red panda I digitally scanned into SL to cover it up