Where are all the black SL players at?

Not attempting to be racially exclusive....but as an African American woman in RL and on SL I find a major shortage of black players/sims. Sure there are plenty of urban RP sims but many are not even active and if they are not by black avatars. 

I really want to family RP on SL and want to find a cool group of people to do so with.

I'm also coming from being a predominate IMVU player to full time on SL and its a hard transition only because I don't have many friends or people to talk to on here.

So yep feel free to respond anyways as the songs goes black, white, puerto rican, or hatian, japanese, chinese, or even asian, don't matter what colo on this occasion...I'm just extremely curious as to where the hot spots are at and if anyone has the demographics of SL

Edited by V4nessa18
Where'
  • Like 6

Hiya; we had a similar thread a while back, and one of the main points raised was that the number of actual black players was being diluted by the black male avatars that were here for sexual fetish reasons only, and were often (but certainly not always) not actually black behind the keyboard. It's kinda hard to find or even create hangout spots for black people, as the search window gets drowned with sims targeted at the sexual fetish crowd, but they do exist... I just have no idea where they are :/

• Like 9

There are a lot of black people in SL. You will have a better chance finding them on Facebook then on the SL forums. People tend to go off topic here.

I am black. While I'm not the social type in SL you are welcome to message me inworld and I can point you in the right direction.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Compared to what exactly?

There was a thread not so long ago where one of the forums racists, complained that there were too many people with "coloniser skintones" making "coloniser skintone" avatars, and that she was distressed that the ethnic mix in SL didn't  match that of her west coast American inner city area where "coloniser skintones" are a minority.

She seemed to have a hard time coping with the fact that a great many of SL's users come from places where people of african decent are LESS than 10% of the population, and where people of aztec/mayan decent are basically non existent.

As a Brit for example I find it odd that many Americans can't understand why most Brits don't speak a word of Spanish, or regularly eat tex-mex food.

Welcome to SL, it's NOT San Francisco!

Thanks for your input love 🙂

Im from the east coast...never been to the west coast of the USA and don’t know what San Francisco is like.

I have however traveled to England and find it extremely enjoyable in RL.

I only recently found out Brits don’t enjoy Tex mex through a Netflix stand up by Trevor Noah.

And I have no problem with SL’s minority/majority ratio...I just want to know where African American SL users hang out 🙌🏾

• Like 2

I think @Shadow Gartner gave some pretty solid advice. While there was someone that identifies as black that turned a lot of small things into racial issues, there was also someone who was posting some extreme right wing drivel and it was allowed to slide and it got a lot of “likes”. They weren’t taken down until *ahem* a couple of people reported them. I don’t think LL pays much attention to these forums.

Personally, I think Klytyna is funny. She hates equally. But she’s referring to that person that identifies as black, that was making mountains out of molehills. I think she’s hilarious though.

Most black people I meet are at shopping events and usually if I approach them or are friends I had when I was more active. Every once in a while a community will pop up somewhere, but it’s nothing as permanent as it used to be. It’s much more of a small group/social media thing now. We are around though. If you want OP, you can add me as well, though I probably log in about once a week nowadays.

If you want a shopping buddy or to hang out I got you!

• Like 4

Heyyy welcome to SL  !  Hit me up inworld :)  I can get you connected pretty quickly.

I know  you are probably wanting a list of places, but it would easier for me to send you landmarks and groups inworld.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's even harder to find what few First Nations people there are in SL than it is to find black or brown. I'm referring to actual tribal members here.

I wish the OP lots of luck in finding people she can be friends with, regardless of RL skin color. It's not an easy thing to accomplish even for someone who has been a resident for 14 years. Might even be harder for us long haulers.

Edited by Dakota Linden
Moderator Edit: Removed Quoted Text
  • Like 2

Some of these responses are "interesting" and I see some have been deleted .. This is no different than real life.    When people of color move to a new city offline, they are faced with the same challenge. There is a large Black community in SL.  Like most SL communities, sims have closed and clubs arent running as many events.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I really hate that. Now I look like an idiot talking to thin air. :S

Around here, most of the regulars have experienced that at least once. Thus it will take repeatedly talking to the air here before we look sideways at you.

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Around here, most of the regulars have experienced that at least once. Thus it will take repeatedly talking to the air here before we look sideways at you.

I do that in RL. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Windywinters said:

why nobody asks where s all purple people?)

Got all eaten by purple people eater 

On Topic: There are avatars of colour in SL I never saw them aggregate though. Only aggregations I saw so far were by a common langauge.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Windywinters said:

The one eyed, one horned people eater who just happens to be purple as well. :P

hqdefault.jpg

*Waves her hand in the air* I'm a black player who also has a black avi. Very hard finding decent dark skin here sometimes, but I wouldn't choose to be anyone else.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2018 at 7:24 AM, Windywinters said:

Really ?  Some people want to roleplay a family with similar interests.  Why do furries look for other furry communities ?  
I think I should plan a get together lol.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Isis Owatatsumi said:

Really ?  Some people want to roleplay a family with similar interests.  Why do furries look for other furry communities ?  
I think I should plan a get together lol.

CFEE9D9D-598E-493F-8ED1-E87E39AC2EF9.gif

• Like 2

On 12/3/2018 at 1:05 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

The one eyed, one horned people eater who just happens to be purple as well. :P

hqdefault.jpg

You forgot flying

It's the one eyed one horned flying purple people eater.  If my niece saw anyone forget part of his name, she'd throw a fit, and probably some shoes (yes, we throw shoes in our family, but never AT anyone...which begs the question.."who throws a shoe,  honestly?") . Ok, she's 6, but she LOVES this movie, to the point that she wore down more than one VHS, so I had to go to dvd, lol.  It's all my fault though, I introduced her to it at a young age. I'm an enabler.  She even has a purple monster plushy I made that plays the song, she told me she intends to be buried with it. (not as creepy as it sounds, lol), and a cassette that she puts in my old teddy ruxpin because she thinks it's hilarious to drive my mother bonkers. 

On the plus side, the few times she's had to stay in the hospital, it has been an absolute lifesaver!

This is totally unrelated to the OP, I just happened to see the purple people eater comments and it makes me smile, because MOST people I've mentioned it to, think it's only a song. They have no clue what I'm talking about when I ask them if they like the movie "What? It's just a song you idiot!" Uhhh....nope ;) 

I do hope the OP finds what they're looking for :D  There are communities for pretty much everyone, so hopefully someone can steer OP in that direction. 

8 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This lady has a good YouTube series on Being Black in SL. She's been in active in SL & The Sims for a long time, & Vlogs on both worlds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RT8Or3G77Q

Too bad the audio quality is terrible in  most of her videos and judgeing by her newest SL videos, she seems to have lost her grip on reality and settled for a 24h victim mentality.

• Confused 2

Of the four I listened to only one had poor sound quality and I listened to them with earbuds.

I thought it was a nice series and it didn’t all focus on race. She talked about a lot of things that have come up here on these forums and she didn’t meander off topic much at all. There was no victim mentality in there at all. In fact I thought here videos were more of the “let’s accept each other and our differences” variety.

The skin thing has come up before here; there was a time when black skins were crappy. That definitely has improved. She didn’t complain about it, she told the truth.

What she called “colorism” can happen. She didn’t dwell on it, she just said she looked at the person that made the comment differently.

Its a nice vlog. She keeps the videos short and sweet.

• Like 4

On 11/29/2018 at 5:33 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

It's even harder to find what few First Nations people there are in SL than it is to find black or brown. I'm referring to actual tribal members here.

First Nations avatars? What're those? 😛

Yeah, there is certainly an abundance of white folks in SL. I wouldn't mind seeing more avatars of colour, provided it isn't done for the purpose of stereotyping or other offenses.

10 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

First Nations avatars? What're those? 😛

Yeah, there is certainly an abundance of white folks in SL. I wouldn't mind seeing more avatars of colour, provided it isn't done for the purpose of stereotyping or other offenses.

I didn't say anything about avatars.

• Like 1