6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I mean, are we talking track suits, sweat suits, tennis shoes, sneakers (there are differences) or even gym shorts? Does "trackies" even have anything to do with sports or exercise? Are these people sitting on swings in their pajamas or bathrobes? 

I had to look it up, myself. Apparently it’s “sweatpants”, but could also mean “track pants or tracksuits”. Orwar’s “class it up” attire list was in response to it, I think. I have no idea where the “swing” comes into it. (Brits call the bathroom the “bog”, maybe there’s a swing in there.)

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I had to look it up, myself. Apparently it’s “sweatpants”, but could also mean “track pants or tracksuits”. Orwar’s “class it up” attire list was in response to it, I think. I have no idea where the “swing” comes into it. (Brits call the bathroom the “bog”, maybe there’s a swing in there.)

I've heard of WC (water closet) but never heard of "bog". 

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

I heard it in maybe ‘86 from a British nurse in college. Not sure I’ve heard it since!

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I believe the most common everyday word for it is 'loo'. 'Bog' is regarded as a somewhat obscene expression for it.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I believe the most common everyday word for it is 'loo'. 'Bog' is regarded as a somewhat obscene expression for it.

Imagine my surprise, that a 40-something nurse should be teaching us obscenity in college. Perhaps she had a different take on it..30+ years ago.

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

Loo was the other one I knew about. 

Too much crap going on in RL today to have remembered it though. :S

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Brits call the bathroom the “bog”, maybe there’s a swing in there.

Never understood why they call it bathroom, there's usually a toilet in there, not a bath...

2 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Never understood why they call it bathroom, there's usually a toilet in there, not a bath...

Americans call it a bathroom because in homes it does indeed have a bath/shower 99.999% of the time. Calling it that anywhere else is just ingrained. 

10 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What the?

I do wish people would use plain English rather than slang. Not everyone knows (or cares) what slang words mean. 

I mean, are we talking track suits, sweat suits, tennis shoes, sneakers (there are differences) or even gym shorts? Does "trackies" even have anything to do with sports or exercise? Are these people sitting on swings in their pajamas or bathrobes? 

And please, don't tell me to go look it up on Urban Dictionary. That site is a cess pool, imo.

Track suits of the white trash (rather than the sporting) variety. eg:

ob_913819_chav.jpg

Please respect my culture :P

2 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

ob_913819_chav.jpg

These were popularized by black rappers in the 80’s and 90’s,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In the 90's the Dutch had a rather large subculture (called Gabbers) dressing up in tracksuits as their trade mark clothing style (yes... me to). Was very brand specific though, shoes were Nike Air Max, track suite Australian or Cavello. All others were "fake". Was great fun, would not wear it in public again :)

aussie.JPG

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Quote: By the ‘90s, the tracksuit itself was entrenched both as an on-field athletic staple, as well as a hip-hop icon.

https://www.complex.com/style/2015/11/history-of-the-tracksuit

Did you intentionally ignore the previous few paragraphs, talking about the tracksuit through the 70s? Or the one immediately following, talking about UK tracksuit culture? As, you know, that's the context that actually matters here.

But yeah please tell me more about how American black inner city culture dictated the fashion of British white estate culture. Or you can put the spade down and admit that using the "everywhere is America" fallacy was a mistake.

30 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Did you intentionally ignore the previous few paragraphs, talking about the tracksuit through the 70s? Or the one immediately following, talking about UK tracksuit culture? As, you know, that's the context that actually matters here.

But yeah please tell me more about how American black inner city culture dictated the fashion of British white estate culture. Or you can put the spade down and admit that using the "everywhere is America" fallacy was a mistake.

Ah, I should have specified America. My bad! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ah, I should have specified America. My bad! 

It's all good, these things happen :)

11 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

It's all good, these things happen :)

I always ‘fess up when I’m wrong! Anyway, I got into track attire recently when I discovered you could get vintage suits from eBay. Velour and everything! So now, 17-20 later, I’m always comfy and stylish. I’m reminded of a MAD TV comedy routine  with an old guy who’s always wearing a tracksuit. That’s me now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AyelaNewLife said:

ob_913819_chav.jpg

Chavs!

4 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Americans call it a bathroom because in homes it does indeed have a bath/shower 99.999% of the time. Calling it that anywhere else is just ingrained. 

Most Brits have bath too, well do in house I live in and reference bog, you may found odd British person using the term however to me it the loo; lol!

1 hour ago, MrsSeren said:

Most Brits have bath too, well do in house I live in and reference bog, you may found odd British person using the term however to me it the loo; lol!

Well its not like we do not have baths here :)

Just the bathroom and toilet are usually separated. Sometimes the bathroom also has an extra toilet, but the toilet is generally a separated "room".

1 minute ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Just the bathroom and toilet are usually separated. Sometimes the bathroom also has an extra toilet, but the toilet is generally a separated "room".

In U.S., real estate ads count “toilet only” as “1/2 bath”.

7 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Same here.... just varies to house like it does there :) - somethings on both sides of pond are same and somethings are not.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Guidos would disagree....

87AD0D33-AA72-47B9-8A0D-9DC31BD6CF50.jpeg

Edited by janetosilio

4 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

ob_913819_chav.jpg

Sure. When everyone else respects mine. :P

lakota-woman-christian-heeb.jpg 

Lakota%20Woman%20box.jpg?1290962415