momomoonusagi

My think tank thread.

So, first let me apologize for typos--im on my phone as I type all of this. ^^

But, i have an idea in my head that I've been sort of been trying to flesh out for a while now and I'm on the fence if I want to give it a go or just scrape it and try again to find an RP sim.

Anyway, I personally haven't had any luck finding an RP sim I'd like to join, and a loooot of that is mainly because of how picky I am with the character I want to play. I've also been to several RP sims in the past where it was hard to interject what character I was playing into whatever was happening for various reasons--reasons that are not always, i think, as my fault. 

However, I'm not really here to discuss any of that, but I felt it was important for my thread readers to know a little where I was coming from and why I'm considering doing what I am about to talk about and ask for a little feedback on. I'm taking the: "I can't find it, so let me try to make it" approach I've seen advised a few times; but before I try to invest L$ in decor, i guess I just wanted to see if anyone would even be interested in something like this:

An RP setting that is not as big as an entire sim. More specifically, either an entire 1/4th sim or even less. I dont have my exact idea yet as to what it looks like, but it'll likely be in a skybox somehow and hopefully be a more intimate space rather than a vast open world that only larger spaces could design.

It will be a setting where maybe part of it is similar to maybe a bar/tavern/cafe and yet expand out to some sort of outside space with maybe a garden or start of a forest, or something; like I said, I'm not entirely sure.

The reason it would be this small, is, well land space wise it's the best I can afford monthly. ><

Also because I feel that, in a way, it's like taking the idea of, for instance, that restaurant or bar in say, maybe, a city sim and just sticking it as the center focus for characters to be at so that everyone is huddled together to hopefully encourage interaction with each other--which to me is the point of RPing.

My character would play "hostess" of sorts to whatever setting there is so that anytime someone came to RP, the ice could maybe be broken and they wouldn't feel out of place. There would also be an NPC "host" that people could use to also try to break the ice with in case there isn't a player "host".

The reason I'm undefined on the actual genre of setting is because I'd like to open this idea up to characters from all genres. I have an idea for a story background that might be able to tie together modern and fantasy and medieval and all that, but that itself isn't so much the topic; what I'd like to know is if there is even an interest in a sort of "free for all" thing to begin with. I thought if it was open enough, a lot of interesting characters might come through and that could lead to fun character interactions and stories, big or small.

To sort of maybe try to sum it up (and I'm sorry if I really just rambled and apologize if I'm not entirely clear on my idea), a sort of "slice of life" approach in a sort of setting that invites players to a little more freedom on their characters without being tied down to a specific genre, all within a more closed off space than most RP settings have to encourage and partially rely on character interaction that will hopefully lead to just good hearted, maybe even deep storytelling for everyone who's involved to enjoy. 

It won't have rentals; it won't allow for nudity; and it won't encourage any sort of public sex stuff--more fade to black scenes if things led in that direction for characters--this way it could even be open to RP families and characters of all ages who might fit the niche mold that would be the story background. 

It will be text based and potentially HUDless--maybe at least a dice roller hud to direct character conflicts. And it may or may not have character profiles of some sort.

It will encourage players who visit to be in character the whole time (maybe to wear titlers) and it will encourage not so much "para" in the sense of post size but more in that, as a player you'll want to give those you're RPing with something to respond or react to rather than just single line emotes that leave others unsure of what to say or how to respond.

Ooook! Sorry for so many words! But thanks for making it this far if ya did. ^^ please feel free to advise on anything or comment your general, potential interest, as well as make suggestions as to what might be interesting for you to see in an RP that would make you want to join.

• Like 2

I definitely think you’d need to have a main plot or something behind it - potentially with added locations for intereactions and the like, encouraging people to have FULL profiles on their characters. It very much started out sounding like the American sitcom “Friends” but then you tossed in the medieval and I admit that I’m a little curious. 

Back before I found SL - my original location to role play was on a BBboard/forum or in a group chat - each section of the forum was dedicated to a different setting (cavern, woods, city market, etc) - all based around a world invented by Tamora Pierce, a YA fantasy author who is big on feminism and female warriors. I would love to see something revived based on that, but that is neither here nor there. 

A quarter sim will cost you roughly 4500L per week - but you can do a LOT with 5k prims, especially if you find yourself a landscaper who can work with skyboxes. Appearance and advertising should come AFTER you plan everything - build a website, write a detailed plot/storyline for the basis of your role play. Get support staff. Create your rules and guidelines - ranking system if applicable. Perhaps come up with a list of possible role play titles, write up an example character profile.

Organization is key. Get some good people with you and have fun! 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I mistook the title for “Thick Tank Thread”. Love the alliteration!

Is because people don't understand the purpose of hyphens is to avoid ambiguity; "think-tank thread" is different from "think tank thread", yes?

5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Is because people don't understand the purpose of hyphens is to avoid ambiguity; "think-tank thread" is different from "think tank thread", yes?

They may be the same. But, how do we know it doesn’t refer to autonomous weaponry with advanced AI? The hyphen resolves that ambiguity.

This reminds me of a Restaurant to Another World. The idea of having a place for characters from any world to come and interact is very cool. It'd be a good waystation for people to visit when the sims they normally play at are slow and could be a way of finding places to play that don't advertise as well as they could.

The only problem I can see would be some places wouldn't like their players bringing back tales of some outside setting location. Maybe include a suggestion somewhere within the setting (say on a menu notecard or texture) that experiences there should be forgotten or considered a dream after leaving?

• Thanks 1

It will be a setting where maybe part of it is similar to maybe a bar/tavern/cafe and yet expand out to some sort of outside space with maybe a garden or start of a forest, or something; like I said, I'm not entirely sure. ... That restaurant or bar in say, maybe, a city sim and just sticking it as the center focus for characters to be at so that everyone is huddled together to hopefully encourage interaction with each other--which to me is the point of RPing.

This is "I want to open a restaurant" in SL. I have a little cafe on my property. I have a friend nearby who has a diner. Sometimes we hang out at each other's places. Last night we went to a once-famous diner in Bay City. One that, in busier days at another location, had waitresses on roller skates. Sadly, not only were we the only people there, we were the only people in Bay City.

There are hundreds of underutilized restaurants, bars, and clubs in SL, from a Dunkin' Donuts in Bay City to a cafe in Dark Alley. I know someone who liked to hang out in those places as staff, served patrons, and got them to talk to each other. It worked. Maybe you can do something with that idea. SL has empty places, and it has overcrowded meet points dominated by annoying people. Make something in between work and you've got something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1