Huge Packaging Annoyances

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, Tamara Artis said:

I pack my products in HUDs. They attach to your screen and there are letters that say "click to unpack". It does not automatically unpack. Also, I try to create a special version of the vendor photo that goes on this HUD - low res which loads fast so that people who need to check what's inside the package don't wait for ages for the photo to load.

for me this is the perfect product packaging. if there was a kiss-a-vendor button on here then I would click it :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind the scripted boxes too much.  I NEVER wear them though, I just rez them.  If they want to animate me, I tell them "no."  If they say "touch to unpack," I'll generally do so, although I often also just use the old right-click-and-Open method.

I do NOT like the HUDs that "send me my items".  They work, but they are so different from the normal procedure that it's just jarring.

One thing I have encountered a few times:  When using "touch to unpack" or with items that send you their contents without instructing them to, I have occasionally had them NOT send important No Copy parts of the contents.  Since I generally delete the box once I've unpacked it, this has caused me to contact the creator a couple of times and ask for a "missing" alpha mask.  Having been burned by this a couple of times, I'm now more cautious about checking that ALL the contents of a box have got unpacked.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, you can't sort inventory easily when it is already in inventory, not if you have numerous separate folders, i.e. chairs, desks, food, etc. You want to be able to do this *from the package* which is the most rational and intuitive way.

You don't want to struggle to drag it upward through numerous files, always risking slipping and dropping it. You don't want to do a search and try to snag both the new item and something in the folder you want to put it in.

You want to just drag it from the box to start with, the end.

1) Go to "RECENT" tab, right click new goodie, select "Cut."

2) Go to "MY INVENTORY" tab, right click your desired folder, select "Paste."

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I'd love to be able to create a very small parcel on my land wherein no one can run scripts, including myself. Then llDie() items and timed demos would be just like regular items and demos.

I kinda like this idea, though if I did this I'd need to set my pose stand close by, since almost all of my unpacking is done with me on the pose stand so that I can try things on. And of course, I need my Maitreya HUD working when I try things on, thus the pose stand needs to be on script-enabled land.

I have had some items deliver individual pieces directly from the vendor, which is totally messed up.  I then end up with each item in its specific folder type - system layer things in Clothing, the LM in Landmarks, a notecard or many in Notecards, the various object pieces in Objects, etc...  I never understood why that happens, but it is a royal PITA -- thank goodness for the Recent inventory tab on those occasions.  

If I'm unpacking at home, I will always rez the item, whether it says to wear, add, or anything else -- unless it specifically says HUD.  Even it it auto-unpacks - which I hate - I will still check the package because much of the time those scripts will never unpack more than one no-copy item automatically.   If I'm opening a package somewhere other than home, my preference is for it to be a HUD.  It is isn't a HUD, then I want a simple box that doesn't have any of those dorky animations, especially since they sometimes stick after said item is detached and then I have to clear the animation.

• Like 1

My worst annoyance is when they do not include a picture of the item in the box.  Come on, I know they have a texture, it's right there on the board I bought it from.  Just include that in the package as well, please.  Please? 

There is one well known store ... I won't say the name so let's just call it Azureberry ... that will send out the texture as a group notice.  If I want the item, I'll save that pic.  All their older stuff I have to wonder if I really want to spend the extra 10L$ and time to upload my own photo to the folder.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'd expected a much different weird thing to happen to you as a result of animated packaging, possibly the strangest SL bug I've ever seen because it's a mystery what the programmer could even have been trying to do. Anyway, that bug will create havoc (albeit not the Lady Macbeth thing you experienced), and is plenty reason enough to avoid animations in worn packaging.

FWIW, I've unexpectedly become a fan of HUDs as packaging, and consider some of them to be quite good commercial art -- in a new genre that may become a very significant form of advertising in our Augmented Reality futures.

That said, I prefer they not unpack until I click to indicate I'm ready for delivery. It's an extra click, kinda, but usually the delivery HUD has other tricks from which to choose (not that I'll ever want to Facegram from a product delivery HUD -- does anybody, ever?).

Also, I'm pretty happy with Catznip's way of suggesting a likely Inventory folder to put the delivery, although I've never investigated just what rules it follows.

Well, thank you for confirming, kinda, that I at least wasn't imagining things.

And yes, I like the HUDs a lot. Simple and elegant, and no rezzing involved.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Depending on the body you are using there should be a reset button on the HUD that should have taken care of that problem. Key word being should. I'm using the non update-able Ebody on a couple of alts and had that issue a few days ago. It took a bit for the reset to take effect because lag. I think the sim needs a reset, too.

Reset buttons. :x

Hmmm. It's Slink. I've forgotten if there is a reset button. I don't think so? I certainly don't remember seeing one, at least on the Master HUD.

There IS a reset button on the Genus Project heads. I know because I've been using it constantly.

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hmmm. It's Slink. I've forgotten if there is a reset button. I don't think so? I certainly don't remember seeing one, at least on the Master HUD.

There IS a reset button on the Genus Project heads. I know because I've been using it constantly.

Ebody has 4 reset buttons on the applier tab. Maybe look for something similar on the Slink HUD?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Ebody has 4 reset buttons on the applier tab. Maybe look for something similar on the Slink HUD?

I've just looked, and so far as I can see there are no reset buttons (except for effects) on the Slink Master HUD. There is a "Reset Skin to White" button on the separate HUD just for the hands and feet, though. But I never use that, as almost all of the functionality is on the Master HUD anyway. Might have worked, though?

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've just looked, and so far as I can see there are no reset buttons (except for effects) on the Slink Master HUD. There is a "Reset Skin to White" button on the separate HUD just for the hands and feet, though. But I never use that, as almost all of the functionality is on the Master HUD anyway. Might have worked, though?

I would go with the reset to white and then reapply the skin you use. I know of no reason it won't work. Deleting the old and using a new copy should be a last resort.

10 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

My worst annoyance is when they do not include a picture of the item in the box.  Come on, I know they have a texture, it's right there on the board I bought it from.  Just include that in the package as well, please.  Please? 

There is one well known store ... I won't say the name so let's just call it Azureberry ... that will send out the texture as a group notice.  If I want the item, I'll save that pic.  All their older stuff I have to wonder if I really want to spend the extra 10L$ and time to upload my own photo to the folder.

When the revolution comes, these creators will be the first to the gulag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Auto-unpack is not a big deal to me. Kinda handy actually.

What I can't cope with is getting something and the box is 30-40 LI and I don't have enough room on my parcel. Like... why? I appreciate the effort but it's just a hassle on my part. Lovely, but a wasted effort.

Extra animations and sounds, also annoying but manageable.

The biggest one is things that auto-deliver but have been improperly packaged - ie. not in a folder so I get 15 items and have to round them all up. I have an organized inventory but when I'm unpacking a lot at once this can be a real pain.

• Like 1

As a professional inventory organizer, I say DOWN WITH BOXES AND UNPACKERS! We, the good working people have had enough of this oppression of clutter! Give us folders, give us freedom! How much longer do our Objects and Received Items folders need to be violated with the useless unpacker trash only intended for the incapable majority? We have a voice! #FreeTheFolder #UndoTheUnpacker #CopyTheContent

• Haha 5

I like huge fatpacks and I can not lie

You other shoppers might deny..

When i break out that hud and the room goes thud.

Those other shoppers start to cry..

So Shoppers ,yes shoppers,I know you fear mah packs.

Because I throw down hard with my fashion rez

So y'all best watch yer backs..

:P:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.