Hide or change the birth date in SL

GaelGibson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, DashX Nemeth said:

that after so long there is no solution to this

Solution to what? There is no problem, so there is no "solution" needed. Unless we consider the "problem" of the OP of not being able to easily proceede to catfish people a true problem, that should get a solution.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, DashX Nemeth said:

My account is probably 13 or 14 yo by now. (Cant remember cos its been many years since i last logged) So if i wanna play under age ill go with i joined when i was 3 year old.

OK, I'll bite.  I would place a bet on the fact that nobody you meet will equate your account age with your role-play age.  It is completely unnecessary to worry about it.  If that were not true, there wouldn't be any role-play.  The account age is metadata about your SL presence in the same way that nobody is supposed to incorporate knowledge of how many hit points a role-play character has in their role-play responses.  Anybody doing that is meta-gaming which is bad form and disallowed in actual role-play games.  So just disconnect the account age from the equation and be happy.

13 hours ago, DashX Nemeth said:

So taking into consideration that after so long there is no solution to this im coming up with an idea. Accounts older than 5 years should get an option to hide sl birth on profile. That way you cant tell if the account is 15 years old or just 5. And you can get by telling lies to everyone. Hahaha

That's a terrible idea - no, just no thank you!

Edited by Gabriele Graves
chose alternate word to better convey meaning.
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, DashX Nemeth said:

So taking into consideration that after so long there is no solution to this im coming up with an idea. Accounts older than 5 years should get an option to hide sl birth on profile. That way you cant tell if the account is 15 years old or just 5. And you can get by telling lies to everyone. Hahaha

That's dumb. How would I otherwise know when to plan a Rez day party for someone?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

That's dumb. How would I otherwise know when to plan a Rez day party for someone?

Even if it ever was hidden on the Profile -- which I just cannot ever see happening -- the info will still always be available via scripts.  LL would never take that away.

• Like 5

On 10/14/2020 at 7:38 AM, Gabriele Graves said:

OK, I'll bite.  I would place a bet on the fact that nobody you meet will equate your account age with your role-play age.  It is completely unnecessary to worry about it.  If that were not true, there wouldn't be any role-play.  The account age is metadata about your SL presence in the same way that nobody is supposed to incorporate knowledge of how many hit points a role-play character has in their role-play responses.  Anybody doing that is meta-gaming which is bad form and disallowed in actual role-play games.  So just disconnect the account age from the equation and be happy.

That's a terrible idea - no, just no thank you!

Hmm, that you dont like it doesnt make it terrible. Thats just your point of view. Ive never mixed role-play in the equation either. Im talking about actual deceive. The info should still be accesible via scripts though, but not visible at a glance. So its not like you have no way to find out. Still you need to take your time for it. 

Also instead of hidding it, maybe being able to remove some years will do. (Only able to remove and never able to add) just on profile view while actual age is kept and accesible via scripts.

Edited by DashX Nemeth
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2020 at 3:51 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even if it ever was hidden on the Profile -- which I just cannot ever see happening -- the info will still always be available via scripts.  LL would never take that away.

Im not saying ovewrite the age variable. No need for that. Im just saying add a "fake age" variable for profile only where u can only remove some years but never able to make it look younger than 5 years old. That fake age is just a front on profile. All scripts will not use that new variable.

Edited by DashX Nemeth
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DashX Nemeth said:

Im not saying ovewrite the age variable. No need for that. Im just saying add a "fake age" variable for profile only where u can only remove some years but never able to make it look younger than 5 years old. That fake age is just a front on profile. All scripts will not use that new date variable.

jjmr6.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/14/2020 at 3:56 AM, Lillith Hapmouche said:

No problem to begin with = no solution needed. Easy.

There is no problem till someone notices there is one

7 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

jjmr6.jpg

Hahaha. Its as easy as adding a single new variable. Its no biggie plus you are also giving old users something i doubt they will complain about. After all you can only remove years between a very limited range, and its optional.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

jjmr6.jpg

Technological solutionism!

“Look what I’ve figured out how to do!”

”This is a solution to a nonexistent problem . . . . And have you thought through the implications?”

”Wha? Why? It’s cool! Let’s just do it!”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

you use the word "noob" as a curse word. my first account was registered in 2010 and I do not consider myself either a beginner or an old one. I have seen both of you and I can tell you that there is not much difference between you. I met a person whose account was 15 years old and they did not know what "local lights" are. it's not how many years you spent, but how you spent them. so maybe think twice before bullying someone just because they have fewer digits on their profile than you.

3 hours ago, DashX Nemeth said:

Im talking about actual deceive. The info should still be accesible via scripts though, but not visible at a glance. So its not like you have no way to find out. Still you need to take your time for it. 

Also instead of hidding it, maybe being able to remove some years will do. (Only able to remove and never able to add) just on profile view while actual age is kept and accesible via scripts.

Good luck with that.  I hope you come back to this thread in a year or two to let us know how it went 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DashX Nemeth said:

There is no problem till someone notices there is one

Hahaha. Its as easy as adding a single new variable. Its no biggie plus you are also giving old users something i doubt they will complain about. After all you can only remove years between a very limited range, and its optional.

That didn't answer my question.  Why in the world would anyone need or want to remove years?  It serves no purpose whatsoever.  All the older users I know aren't ashamed of their years in world.  Psssst... That's what alts are for.

Ludicrous I say!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

That didn't answer my question.  Why in the world would anyone need or want to remove years? 

The only reason I can think of is the same reason I mentioned in this thread two years ago. Wanting to catfish someone.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Why in the world would anyone need or want to remove years? 

If you want to claim that you are 18 or so in RL, it is a bit unbelievable if your SL account is 12-13 years old.  That is my biggest guess as to why someone would want to do it -- so they can LIE to someone about their RL age.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you want to claim that you are 18 or so in RL, it is a bit unbelievable if your SL account is 12-13 years old.  That is my biggest guess as to why someone would want to do it -- so they can LIE to someone about their RL age.  

OMFG.  No one believes anyone is 18 when they say they're 18.  If you ARE 18, you usually tell people you're older than 18.  The whole thinking behind this is asinine.  IMHO

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

On 10/14/2020 at 10:24 AM, DashX Nemeth said:

They freely admitted it too.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

OMFG.  No one believes anyone is 18 when they say they're 18.  If you ARE 18, you usually tell people you're older than 18.  The whole thinking behind this is asinine.  IMHO

It doesn't make any sense at all in my opinion.  Wouldn't even a catfisher would just make a new account?  It's not like it costs anything.

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

It doesn't make any sense at all in my opinion.  Wouldn't even a catfisher would just make a new account?  It's not like it costs anything.

Exactly my point.  As far as people not liking when noobs IM, that's just silly.  I remember back when Resident was the new last name and we all had that hanging over our heads.  I'd see in a lot of profiles, "Don't message me if your last name is Resident".  I thought that a bit pretentious back then and still do when people won't talk to someone because of their SL DOB.  I know some people create alts just to bother people and this could be a legitimate reason but come on!  We all were noobs once.  

As far as lying?  I assume most people do cause ya know, it's the internet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.