GaelGibson

Hide or change the birth date in SL

I consider my age in SL  private,  and wish I'm able to hide it like we do with groups. I see no reason to left this details public. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, GaelGibson said:

I consider my age in SL  private,  and wish I'm able to hide it like we do with groups. I see no reason to left this details public. 

Yes well  I wanna know when a noob ims me.

I mean nope sorry, it's not possible

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Yes well  I wanna know when a noob ims me.

I mean nope sorry, it's not possible

Thanks for you reply. Well this is a point, but what about a newbie tag for the first 60 days in place of birth date? 

• Like 1

I can't say that SL age is something that I think about very often. There was once when I was less than 30 days and wasn't able to get to one of the stores on a hunt, then the one year rez day, and then once I realized my age was 4 digits :)  

I don't really think in terms of "birth date" for rez date, and I don't really see why that should be private.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GaelGibson said:

I consider my age in SL  private

i do the same with the plates on my car... but traffic control doesn't agree and keeps sending fines...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

35 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

i do the same with the plates on my car... but traffic control doesn't agree and keeps sending fines...

I read that as Air traffic control and thought omg Ethan is Dick Van *****

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Interesting jira, thanks for the link Whirly...

...others will either work out or assume your minimum real life age based on when you joined SL...

Wonder if the OP is the same? He doesnt want people to know he is at a minimum 20 years old.

• Like 3

It's never really occurred to me that there might be a lot of people waiting on tenterhooks until they're old enough to jump in here. But I do take some comfort now in the idea that someone might check my profile and assume that I am, at minimum, 26.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, GaelGibson said:

Thanks for you reply. Well this is a point, but what about a newbie tag for the first 60 days in place of birth date? 

do you mean in addition to all the markers that shout "noob here"?

I'm highly confused as to how anyone could possibly know your RL age based on your SL account age.  Regardless of account age, anyone on the grid **should** be at least 18 (unless they are on one of those special education sims).  How I could possibly figure out anything else about their age is beyond me.  

I'm more likely to guess someone's RL age range based on the way they write and their viewpoint on various topics.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm highly confused as to how anyone could possibly know your RL age based on your SL account age

So if I was 13 when I joined for educational reasons,  I am now 23 based on my account age... yep truth nods.  I am going with that if anyone asks.  👼

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I don't understand why someone being able to guess at your minimum age based on account creation date would be an issue.  The only thing I can think of is something like your account age indicated you might be at least 28, but you were trying to convince someone that you were really only 20 in RL - but I wouldn't consider that a valid reason for hiding the account creation date, nor does it hinder how your avatar behaves.  You can always act as if your avatar is 2 or 10 or 18 or 20, etc., regardless of account creation date.

I'm with LittleMe in that the hints one gets about someone else's age are not based on their account creation date, but more about how they talk/write and the subjects that they talk about, particularly if they mention things or events that are tied to a particular time period. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I don't understand why someone being able to guess at your minimum age based on account creation date would be an issue.  The only thing I can think of is something like your account age indicated you might be at least 28, but you were trying to convince someone that you were really only 20 in RL - but I wouldn't consider that a valid reason for hiding the account creation date, nor does it hinder how your avatar behaves.  You can always act as if your avatar is 2 or 10 or 18 or 20, etc., regardless of account creation date.

I'm with LittleMe in that the hints one gets about someone else's age are not based on their account creation date, but more about how they talk/write and the subjects that they talk about, particularly if they mention things or events that are tied to a particular time period. 

Its because the OP doesn't want everyone to know he's a noob

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

particularly if they mention things or events that are tied to a particular time period.

I voted for Ron Regan.  Twice.

• Like 4

Ironic how you can make a thread about hiding ones age... and yet some of the oldest people in SL are posting 😄

1 hour ago, Hunter Stern said:

Ironic how you can make a thread about hiding ones age... and yet some of the oldest people in SL are posting 😄

Posting just to prove you wrong. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

Who you calling 'old'?

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Shhh! Young whippersnappers making all this racket when I'm trying to take my nap. Back in my day...  👴😴

I don't see the problem with having your rez date displayed. I doubt LL would consider adding the ability to hide it. They've got much better things to work on (EEP, for example).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

...but you were trying to convince someone that you were really only 20 in RL...

Yep, catfishing protection was what I considered reading the Jira.

• Like 2

Does it actually say "Birth" date in the viewer?  For me it's one of those things you always see but cannot recall for sure and I cannot check until I get home later.  If so then maybe it should be renamed to "Start" date instead.  This might stop people equating it with an actual avatar age as such.  Sometimes it's just the terminology that is the problem.