Hide or change the birth date in SL

GaelGibson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, GaelGibson said:

I consider my age in SL  private,  and wish I'm able to hide it like we do with groups. I see no reason to left this details public. 

Yes well  I wanna know when a noob ims me.

I mean nope sorry, it's not possible

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I can't say that SL age is something that I think about very often. There was once when I was less than 30 days and wasn't able to get to one of the stores on a hunt, then the one year rez day, and then once I realized my age was 4 digits :)  

I don't really think in terms of "birth date" for rez date, and I don't really see why that should be private.  

• Like 3

I'm highly confused as to how anyone could possibly know your RL age based on your SL account age.  Regardless of account age, anyone on the grid **should** be at least 18 (unless they are on one of those special education sims).  How I could possibly figure out anything else about their age is beyond me.  

I'm more likely to guess someone's RL age range based on the way they write and their viewpoint on various topics.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm highly confused as to how anyone could possibly know your RL age based on your SL account age

So if I was 13 when I joined for educational reasons,  I am now 23 based on my account age... yep truth nods.  I am going with that if anyone asks.  👼

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I don't understand why someone being able to guess at your minimum age based on account creation date would be an issue.  The only thing I can think of is something like your account age indicated you might be at least 28, but you were trying to convince someone that you were really only 20 in RL - but I wouldn't consider that a valid reason for hiding the account creation date, nor does it hinder how your avatar behaves.  You can always act as if your avatar is 2 or 10 or 18 or 20, etc., regardless of account creation date.

I'm with LittleMe in that the hints one gets about someone else's age are not based on their account creation date, but more about how they talk/write and the subjects that they talk about, particularly if they mention things or events that are tied to a particular time period. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I don't understand why someone being able to guess at your minimum age based on account creation date would be an issue.  The only thing I can think of is something like your account age indicated you might be at least 28, but you were trying to convince someone that you were really only 20 in RL - but I wouldn't consider that a valid reason for hiding the account creation date, nor does it hinder how your avatar behaves.  You can always act as if your avatar is 2 or 10 or 18 or 20, etc., regardless of account creation date.

I'm with LittleMe in that the hints one gets about someone else's age are not based on their account creation date, but more about how they talk/write and the subjects that they talk about, particularly if they mention things or events that are tied to a particular time period. 

Its because the OP doesn't want everyone to know he's a noob

Does it actually say "Birth" date in the viewer?  For me it's one of those things you always see but cannot recall for sure and I cannot check until I get home later.  If so then maybe it should be renamed to "Start" date instead.  This might stop people equating it with an actual avatar age as such.  Sometimes it's just the terminology that is the problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.