people who put a disclaimer in there profile stating they can share im's is that still against TOS

Raianna Tyran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

my question is just because a person puts this disclaimer in there profile or in a instant message

Disclaimer: Chat/IMs may be recorded & shared (stating this, releases me from liability per SL TOS)   I prefer to maintain privacy as an utmost consideration - however at times this is not possible.  
IF you IM me you agree and give me rights to use all chat logs as i see fit.  IF you do not agree to this then do NOT IM me.  As per TOS I need to advise this.

does this disclaimer make them exempt from the TOS allowing them to share private instant messages

2 answers to this question

No

You can`t pick and choose which parts of a legal contract you are going to abide by, just by making a note in your profile.

This has already been answered today and yesterday on these threads:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Abuse-and-Griefing/Is-a-conversation-between-2-avys-in-IM-with-no-personal-info/qaq-p/847727

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Abuse-and-Griefing/Follow-up-to-inquiry-about-sharing-IM-conversations-without/qaq-p/849287

• Like 1

It is really interesting to me to see how some people in SL are just incredibly dumb. If one could circumvent breaking the TOS by simply adding a very dumb disclaimer then there would be no reason why LL would even have a TOS to begin with because it would basically mean that anybody could break the TOS by simply having such disclaimers in their profiles. Can copybotters circumvent TOS by having a disclaimer "I reserve the right to steal any content I see fit"? I don't think so.

ETA: I'm not calling you dumb, I'm calling the people with such disclaimers dumb.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.