Looking for a script where particles stay hovering - think like Smoke from Mortal Kombat

Inilth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I couldn't find any scripts that just have wisping smoke that lingers in place.. all the ones I found shoot it in a cone or explode it. Is it possible to have a simple wisp effect that is left when an avatar moves/wisps around the avatar?

Sure. Create one particle, give a maximum burst speed of zero and  a minimum/ maximum lifetime and a burst rate of 30 seconds.   It will be a static particle. You can create a more foggy appearance by backing off from that static model and rezzing more particles with a shorter minimum lifetime.  You can play with letting the particle's alpha fade over time, and you can make it responsive to wind.  Making particle effects is really about playing and watching for serendipidous outcomes.   Try visiting the Patricle Laboratory in world (look for it in Search) to fiddle with their tutorials.

3 hours ago, animats said:

Go here, near the Ivory Tower. Try the Porgan 1800 Particle Generator and see if you can make the effect you want.

Or just use the built-in particle generator if you're on Firestorm. Select an object, go to Build > Object > Edit particles

The UI will seem pretty cluttered and confusing at first (especially if you don't have an idea of how particles are set up in LSL), but I think it's more nimble than those scripted generators.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.