The Fabulous Forum Electro-Disco Dance Party

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, so I like dancing, a lot.

I like dancing in RL, although I don't get to do it as often as I used to, but I also very much like dancing in SL. My virtual dancing obsession began when I was a noob, and didn't have an AO yet. I hated watching my avi stand around looking dorkish and restless, but I discovered that I could dance instead. I had a few pretty basic dances someone had given me, and I used them pretty much all the time I wasn't actually walking or flying. I danced while I talked to people. I danced while I looked at things. I danced in public squares, in art galleries, and on roofs. (The latter is a bit of a story in itself maybe.)

Obviously, I'm not the only one: dancing is HUGE in SL. I'm not sure why it is so pleasing (and for me, calming) to watch your avatar engage in a preordained series of graceful and elegant contortions on screen. Maybe it has something to do with the way in which proprioception -- the sense we have that we "occupy" our own bodies -- is extended into the virtual realm too. (The posthumanist theorist Katherine Hayles has noted that video game players attest to this sense all of the time; she should have spoken to us.)

Anyhooooooo . . . I like dancing, but i haven't bought a new dance in, like, 8 years, and so I'd love to hear (and see) what your favourite SL dance is! Tell us what YOU like to dance, and post a picture of it! (If you can do a GIF, even better!) And maybe tell us what you were listening to while you were dancing it!

So, here's my current favourite dance, the imaginatively entitled "1-VARACDAN0" that came bundled in my AO. I need better dances: HELP ME, PEOPLE!

Dance-1.png

And here's what I was listening to while dancing it:

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Adding music

Like you, I adore dancing in SL. I have a ridiculous number of dances (favourite stores include Humanoid, Abranimations, Akeyo, and 3FX). But the ones I'm enjoying right now are those bundled with my Vista 'Gerard' AO. And the reason I love them so much is because they animate my face beautifully. I sit here grinning and watching as Skell closes his eyes and really feels that beat.

This is a one-minute video, so a gif of it would take forever to load. This one is - I think - the dances labelled 21 and 22 in the AO, blending into each other. It starts a bit 'handy' (I tend to prefer shuffle dances with a lot of fast, fancy footwork: 'Passion of Shuffle' from 3FX is a favourite of mine) but then it goes into a solid groove, and I sit there watching one happy avatar just lost in his music :)

And this was the music playing when I recorded that video:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Like you, I adore dancing in SL. I have a ridiculous number of dances (favourite stores include Humanoid, Abranimations, Akeyo, and 3FX). But the ones I'm enjoying right now are those bundled with my Vista 'Gerard' AO. And the reason I love them so much is because they animate my face beautifully. I sit here grinning and watching as Skell closes his eyes and really feels that beat.

This is a one-minute video, so a gif of it would take forever to load. This one is - I think - the dances labelled 21 and 22 in the AO, blending into each other. It starts a bit 'handy' (I tend to prefer shuffle dances with a lot of fast, fancy footwork: 'Passion of Shuffle' from 3FX is a favourite of mine) but then it goes into a solid groove, and I sit there watching one happy avatar just lost in his music :)

And this was the music playing when I recorded that video:

OMG, I played the music while watching your video, and it's PERFECT. You're even on beat!!!! That was absolutely wonderful!!!!

(I was doing a couples dance with an old friend at Fogbound a few weeks ago, and he kept insisting on stopping and restarting the animation every time it went off beat! That may be taking it a bit too far . . .)

15 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

favourite stores include Humanoid, Abranimations, Akeyo, and 3FX

I know Abranimations -- it's been around for ever, I guess. But I don't know the others! Thanks!! I'll check them out. I really need some new dances.

There's at least am eighty percent chance that the last time I danced one of my animations (as opposed to someone's chim/HUD) it was Akeyo's NINA2_Dance. I bought it years ago and love it. A couple months ago I visited the main store to see what was new; I spent most of an afternoon trying every dance they had. NINA2 (which is still available there) still rules, for me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

There's at least am eighty percent chance that the last time I danced one of my animations (as opposed to someone's chim/HUD) it was Akeyo's NINA2_Dance. I bought it years ago and love it. A couple months ago I visited the main store to see what was new; I spent most of an afternoon trying every dance they had. NINA2 (which is still available there) still rules, for me.

Thanks Dillon!

(But you don't get full credit until you post a pic of yourself dancing it!!!)

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thanks Dillon!

(But you don't get full credit until you post a pic of yourself dancing it!!!)

Oh, for crying out loud.830205456_DilDances.thumb.png.b6db39bbdc858e842a0bdc90ba7a13f3.png

Does this also count for the Home & Garden thread? It's my front yard. Thanks to all the people driving by who shouted encouragement like, "Get over yourself!". Buncha creeps.

I'll dance to anything but if you want my best there's only one way to go.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

I just found another one that I've been looking for, for bloody AGES! A dance inspired by Uptown Funk. This video is me and a fellow Catwa CSR sync'd up at A&M Mocap Animations.

And, of course, the music:

I am in awe.

Seriously. I sat here watching your avatars dancing to this in nearly perfect time, twice, a big stupid grin on my face.

I'm feeling a bit amateurish about this whole dancing thing now. Time to up my game! (I'm realizing that i don't link dances enough, and I am not sufficiently judicious in my choice!)

That was just a complete delight to watch. Thank you. 🙂

6 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Oh, for crying out loud.830205456_DilDances.thumb.png.b6db39bbdc858e842a0bdc90ba7a13f3.png

Does this also count for the Home & Garden thread? It's my front yard. Thanks to all the people driving by who shouted encouragement like, "Get over yourself!". Buncha creeps.

I'll dance to anything but if you want my best there's only one way to go.

Dillon, you rock! Literally!

And you definitely get BONUS MARKS for turning your front yard into a dance platform!

(On another note, I'm embarrassed to admit that I always kind of thought this tune was the Beatles. Oops.)

5 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I made this gif some time this past year.  This is a slice of TAM03_Dance_AKEYO

Gif_001.gif.a9f6ed3b35eaef37919afc1d446f3058.gif

Oh, this is a good one!!!

Also, I love the sign behind you.

And the fact that you seem to be dancing on a pool table.

(And also, I need to learn how to make gifs.)

41 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I had hoped to see a date for the party mentioned in the title. What better way to see all our dances in real time, where any of us can press CTRL-S to resync the animation(s) whenever we want. Such power at our fingertips! Mwahahahahah!

Well, someone should maybe organize something like that!

Actually, I have very happy memories of an expedition I and a small group of friends took to Sine Wave Island a very long time ago. We spent the better part of a couple of hours, I think, hopping from pose stand to pose stand. It was a hoot.

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm all about the bait-and-switch

Except, NOW I'm feeling guilty. Maybe we should organize a dance party . . .

WE? WE? You were the one using bait and switch...you organise the party maybe we will come ;)

If you are looking for some new dances that are really well done,you could have a look over at MOVE! animation colongne..

They have some really nice packs there..Plus they are always giving away free ones..

I'd make a youtube of the ones that I have,but work has me so exhausted at the moment that I probably would mess up the choreography hehehehe

I used to run a chorus line at a club that me and someone else used to own.. I remember having all the huds on my screen controlling 7 dancers and myself all keeping in time with 7 different things going on at the same time,plus my dance moves.. then the stage stuff that had to go off at the right time with the music..All that stuff keeping in time was a challenge and a rush and a joy..

It's so much more relaxing just enjoying my own dances nowadays..

lately I've been more into a slow sensual kind of dance style that keeps with the beat of just about any tempo.. It actually works really well.. It's like being the calm in the storm..hehehehe

A couple of the packs I really like for that over at MOVE are Jana and Kimberly.. they might not be for everybody,but they bop to nice music..

ETA: Oh yea,and Leni pack has some nice ones in it also..

I think one of the reasons I like dancing in SL is,when I hear a song while in SL that makes me bop in my char,my avatar can express and be the extension of me bopping in my chair..

There are other reasons ,but that's the one that usually has me starting to dance in SL more than anything..

The first moment I thought SL was awesome was when I jumped on that first dance pose ball on my second day in..After that,it's been a huge part of my SL..It's something how it hooks right into you where it counts.. hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.