remove gift list

Dawn Moonwinder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

24 answers to this question

The gift list is one that you are supposed to populate with items that YOU would like to receive as gifts.  Unlike your Favorites list, the Gift list can be seen by others.

My Marketplace History contains a record of everything you've ever bought on the MP, including things you've bought as gifts for others.  It's not editable.

However, neither of these lists are the one Dawn's talking about.  I did a trial; I selected an item, and clicked Buy as Gift.  When I started typing in the recipient box, a list of everyone I'd sent gifts to before appeared.  Since I've cleared my browser cache, and reinstalled or changed browsers several times since I started SL, I am thinking that this list is not contained in the browser, but on SL's servers.  I don't know any way to edit it.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

11 hours ago, Dawn Moonwinder said:

some of my friends died and i do not like to see them popping up in that list

I have friends on my list who died back in 2010 and 2011.  I always smile a little bit when I see one of their names pop up unexpectedly, as if they are coming back to visit quietly. ;)

• Like 2

Yes, Love, we all find our own ways to remember friends who are no longer with us, sometimes with different emotions at different times.  The OP's comment just reminded me of that, and made me hope quietly that others may remember me kindly when I, too, disappear some day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dawn Moonwinder said:

How can I remove/ clear/ empty the list with  people i bought a present for in the past.  when i sent a gift to someone a menu with list comes but some of my friends died and i do not like to see them popping up in that list

What list?  On the marketplace?  On inworld vendors?  Where do you see this list exactly?

11 minutes ago, Dawn Moonwinder said:

when you want to sent a gift to a friend. you get a drop down menu when you want to put the name in, on marketplace

i'm not sure but think that's auto saved forms in your browser, perhaps google can guide you on remove those, but huge chance you loose all saved info

• Like 1

I only noticed that list appear for me on the MP very recently.  I am not sure if its one of the new features for the MP or if my browser has changed.  I guess clearing your saved forms is the first thing to try in your browser as Ethan said but you will loose everything your browser had saved not just the MP gift names.

27 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I am thinking that this list is not contained in the browser, but on SL's servers. 

if it's caused by auto fill it is possible to find in the  Windows settings for network/Internet ( still not guarantee this will work :) ) i won't try it ,i'm too bonded to my autofill :)

Did you just down-vote my splendid answer, Ethan?  I'm annoyed.  Very.

Annoyed enough to do some research.  And, it turns out that you may be partly right.  You CAN turn off Windows' Autofill settings in the Internet Options/Content tab/AutoComplete/UNcheck the "forms and searches" box.  (see screen capture below.)  Or you could delete the entire Autocomplete history.

But this is a sledgehammer of a tool.  It would turn off that list in ALL the forms you enter data into, not just the SL Marketplace Buy As A Gift name entry box.

EDIT:  Thanks to LittleMe's going the extra mile, we now know that this only applies to MS Internet Explorer and Edge browsers, and that it wouldn't fix the OP's problem anyway.  My original supposition was correct, and the list is on LL's end.  Thank you, Lil, you rock!

Capture.thumb.PNG.21ad7d807b56af5de5e3cc7c5e1e0191.PNG

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I only noticed that list appear for me on the MP very recently.  I am not sure if its one of the new features for the MP or if my browser has changed.  I guess clearing your saved forms is the first thing to try in your browser as Ethan said but you will loose everything your browser had saved not just the MP gift names.

52 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

if it's caused by auto fill it is possible to find in the  Windows settings for network/Internet ( still not guarantee this will work :) ) i won't try it ,i'm too bonded to my autofill :)

21 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Annoyed enough to do some research.  And, it turns out that you may be partly right.  You CAN turn off Windows' Autofill settings in the Internet Options/Content tab/AutoComplete/UNcheck the "forms and searches" box.  (see screen capture below.)  Or you could delete the entire Autocomplete history.

The Windows settings only apply to the Microsoft browser, Internet Explorer or Edge, depending on your Windows version.  I deleted all of mine just now and it had no impact on my Chrome or Firefox browsers - they each have their own settings.

Clearing cache in a browser is not the same as clearing the stored form data.  If you have the browser set to save form data then you would have to specifically clear that data for it to go away.  If you uninstall and then re-install a browser, typically the uninstall will not wipe out your personal settings unless you specifically tell it to, thus your browser form data could possibly be saved across many re-installs.

After deleting all of the browser form data, I went to the MP, using Internet Explorer/Edge/whatever-they-want-to-call-it.  I selected an item and clicked "add to cart as gift" and there was no drop down of people to choose from.  I then typed in a name and went to check and checked out.  However, I had not yet logged in so it prompted me to do that and I then completed the checkout.  Now that I was logged in, I then went back to the same item and again clicked "add to cart as gift". It immediately showed a drop-down with a list all of the people that I had previously sent gifts to from the MP.  I then logged myself out and logged in an alt that had never sent a gift. I went to the same item again and did the "add to cart as a gift" and there was no drop down list of names to pick from.

Thus the list is avatar specific and maintained by SL rather than your computer browser.

Until one knows for a fact that an answer is totally flat out wrong, a down vote should never be given.  Lindal - I voted you back up.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Thus the list is avatar specific and maintained by SL rather than your computer browser.

So is it a new thing then because its only been in the past couple of weeks that I have noticed it and found it very useful to gift to my alts or partner?  Or have I just been blind to it before

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Did you just down-vote my splendid answer, Ethan?  I'm annoyed.  Very.

why on earth you blame me for it... big thanks for that!
perhaps ask such things in privat. I would think forummers knew me well enough by now that i don't use such actions, i'm forward enough to simply tell it when i don't like it.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

So is it a new thing then because its only been in the past couple of weeks that I have noticed it and found it very useful to gift to my alts or partner?  Or have I just been blind to it before

I don't gift from MP very often, so I'm really not sure if it always did that or not.

My guess was that the OP did the down vote.  The OP is new to the forums and thus why I made the comment I did about it.  Ethan would have just made some post saying something like "NO, you are flat out wrong" -- he's very upfront and blunt about pretty much everything.

Well, if it wasn't Ethan I apologize for accusing him.  Frankly, I wouldn't have expected it from him.  But the post was downvoted at about the same time as Ethan posted an alternative theory, so the two were linked in my mind.  Yep, could also have been the OP.  If so, she's super welcome for the time and effort we all put in to help her.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, Love, we all find our own ways to remember friends who are no longer with us, sometimes with different emotions at different times.  The OP's comment just reminded me of that, and made me hope quietly that others may remember me kindly when I, too, disappear some day.

Yes, once I get past the initial grieving, when something reminds me of someone now gone, I tend to think of the good times with them and smile.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies.. it will stay there and well one said it will remind you of your past friends. i could see it that way since i dont seem to be able to take the names of that list ( also the ones i am no friends with anymore ) Anyway it is ok. I did not see it befor thats why i asked and coz of the old exes lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.