Reasons not to start a "Happy Thanksgiving" thread

Phorumities

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, Phorumities said:

1) Its an American Holiday and Americans should not impose their traditions on the non-Americans in the group.

2) Thanksgiving presents a sanitized version of history, settlers and natives sitting down to a feast in friendship, when in reality the feast was to celebrate a victory over a local tribe.

3) In these trying times we really don't have anything to be thankful for.

4) Such a topic will invariable involve religion or politics

5) One should never force well wishes on anyone else because you don't know their circumstances.

Feel free to add your own reasons why there should not be a "Happy Thankgiving " thread, but in the meantime, I wish everyone reading this a Happy Thanksgiving. Go get stuffed.. with turkey of course.

:)

How about, "It was established as a national holiday by the tyrannical despot who was actively grinding the noble, independent Southern states under his bootheel?"

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/thanks.htm

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

How about, "It was established as a national holiday by the tyrannical despot who was actively grinding the noble, independent Southern states under his bootheel?"

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/thanks.htm

Reason #7: Theresa Tennyson will respond

1 hour ago, Talligurl said:

Considering the fact that a lot of stores start thier Black Friday at 6PM on Thuraday that really isn't quite right either.

Huh? Ancient Germanic day beguns at sundown. The evening is the first part of the day. 6PM is after sundown clearly evening in most northern places, so technically already friday in the logic of the language :P. That is why "all hallows eve" is on the evening that is before all hallows day and christmas eve is on the evening before christmas day. As the major public is a completly uneducated lot they forgot this ancient tradition and but kept the names, slowly extending the terms labeled "eve" to the whole modern day before an event.

Edited by Fionalein

20 hours ago, Phorumities said:

1) Its an American Holiday and Americans should not impose their traditions on the non-Americans in the group.

2) Thanksgiving presents a sanitized version of history, settlers and natives sitting down to a feast in friendship, when in reality the feast was to celebrate a victory over a local tribe.

3) In these trying times we really don't have anything to be thankful for.

4) Such a topic will invariable involve religion or politics

5) One should never force well wishes on anyone else because you don't know their circumstances.

Feel free to add your own reasons why there should not be a "Happy Thankgiving " thread, but in the meantime, I wish everyone reading this a Happy Thanksgiving. Go get stuffed.. with turkey of course.

:)

1) Wishing someone a happy anything is not "imposing it" onto anyone. It blows my mind when people proclaim that it is offensive when a merry or happy Christmas is wished upon them when it the person wishing upon you the best happiness they know, anything else is disingenuous B.S.

2) Thanksgiving *represents* - does not "present", it is not a holiday to commemorate anything (therefore your argument is moot) - it is a holiday of thanks for your own perceived blessings, not those of anyone else.

3) If you have nothing to be thankful for then you have my pity. Do you have a warm home and bed? Do you have food on your table every day, nay multiple times a day? Do you have enough health that you are not in constant, debilitating pain?, Do you have a smartphone and cable TV? Do you have a personal computer? But, you're right - there is nothing to be thankful for.

4) So does Memorial Day, so does Christmas, so does Easter. No, wait, that one is all about rabbits laying rainbow-colored chicken eggs, right?

5 Reiterating my point in number 1 above, If someone wishes me a Happy Hannukah, I embrace it even though I am a Christian because they are wishing for me to share is what their best, highest-honored traditions are. If they wished me a "Merry Christmas it would be a disingenuous telling me what they think I want to hear. Oh, and for the record: Happy Holidays is pronounced Ha-pē Hō-lee-days. Unless you choose to bastardize a grammar rule (single consonant cause long vowel) for only one word in the entire language.

Oh, and by the way - I know for a fact there is no Constitutional right to not be offended. That's for the U.S. Constitution, I don't know about other countries.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Soon it will be Christ-Mass!

Yes! Santa Clause, ( A.K.A. Saint Nicholas, a Christian Monk; or Kris Kringle, a mumbling of the German Krist Kinder, meaning Christ Child) will be hopping Chimneys all over the world!

Edited by Alyona Su

12 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

1) Wishing someone a happy anything is not "imposing it" onto anyone. It blows my mind when people proclaim that it is offensive when a merry or happy Christmas is wished upon them when it the person wishing upon you the best happiness they know, anything else is disingenuous B.S.

2) Thanksgiving *represents* - does not "present", it is not a holiday to commemorate anything (therefore your argument is moot) - it is a holiday of thanks for your own perceived blessings, not those of anyone else.

3) If you have nothing to be thankful for then you have my pity. Do you have a warm home and bed? Do you have food on your table every day, nay multiple times a day? Do you have enough health that you are not in constant, debilitating pain?, Do you have a smartphone and cable TV? Do you have a personal computer? But, you're right - there is nothing to be thankful for.

4) So does Memorial Day, so does Christmas, so does Easter. No, wait, that one is all about rabbits laying rainbow-colored chicken eggs, right?

5 Reiterating my point in number 1 above, If someone wishes me a Happy Hannukah, I embrace it even though I am a Christian because they are wishing for me to share is what their best, highest-honored traditions are. If they wished me a "Merry Christmas it would be a disingenuous telling me what they think I want to hear. Oh, and for the record: Happy Holidays is pronounced Ha-pē Hō-lee-days. Unless you choose to bastardize a grammar rule (single consonant cause long vowel) for only one word in the entire language.

Oh, and by the way - I know for a fact there is no Constitutional right to not be offended. That's for the U.S. Constitution, I don't know about other countries.

And yet all the time people demand that they not be offended in any way and demand laws be enacted to protect their sensibilities AND they get them.

Just now, Phorumities said:

And yet all the time people demand that they not be offended in any way and demand laws be enacted to protect their sensibilities AND they get them.

True. And I respect your right to say what you did. :) I was just correcting the accuracy of it.

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes! Santa Clause, ( A.K.A. Saint Nicholas, or Kris Kringle; and mumbling of the German Krist Kinder, meaning Christ Child) will be hopping Chimneys all over the world!

Lets not forget Christmas is a rather thin veneer over a far older pagan celebration.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

True. And I respect your right to say what you did. :) I was just correcting the accuracy of it.

You act like I believe what I wrote.

I was simply offering possible objections to a thanksgiving thread based on things I've read over and over in other posts

Maybe you missed it but at the end of the post I did in fact wish everyone a happy thanksgiving

Edited by Phorumities
added a line

Just now, Phorumities said:

Lets not forget Christmas is a rather thin veneer over a far older pagan celebration.

I agree. The "Church" (any church) is a method of control by men through fear of the unknown because no one who has been to "God's Kingdom" has lived to tell about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

You act like I believe what I wrote.

I was simply offering possible objections to a thanksgiving thread based on things I've read over and over in other posts

Let's be fair: you wrote it like you believe it. :)

I cannot speak for others, though for myself: I know better than to take anything here or anywhere on da interwebs very seriously at all. :) 'Tis how miscommunication happens and that is a breeding-pool for drahmahz. :)

Edit to add: I do know people in RL who would embrace your list as written religiously - yea, I chose that word on purpose and mean it LOL

Edited by Alyona Su

Just now, Alyona Su said:

Let's be fair: you wrote it like you believe it. :)

I cannot speak for others, though for myself: I know better than to take anything here or anywhere on da interwebs very seriously at all. :) 'Tis how miscommunication happens and that is a breeding-pool for drahmahz. :)

All i believed was that others would object to a thanksgiving post. I never suggested I believed the list of reasons was valid, I was simply trying to anticipate other peoples objections based on previous posts I read in here.

46 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

When you said the above I was just hoping you might make an exception to your rule....for Native Americans.

I would not expect all Natives to be offended, but I would certainly approach a Happy Thanksgiving greeting with caution, asking if it's okay to wish them a Happy Thanksgiving.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When you said the above I was just hoping you might make an exception to your rule....for Native Americans.

I would not expect all Natives to be offended, but I would certainly approach a Happy Thanksgiving greeting with caution, asking if it's okay to wish them a Happy Thanksgiving.

How would you know who to make an exception for? What do Native Americans look like? Where do they live?

• Like 1

Taking time to take stock of the good things in life is not of itself a date, it is a philosophy.

In North America, at least two countries celebrate a day of Thanksgiving, the USA just markets the one it celebrates more loudly 🙂

The official day for Thanksgiving is what you make of it; just like any other "national" holiday.

My spirituality is decidedly not-Christian - but I'm not above taking a day off and reminding myself to be grateful for the good things I have managed to sneak into my life. "Many paths to the Truth"...

On the flipside - our Political & Corporate Overlords are probably waiting for the day we become so polarized and fragmented that celebrating *any* holiday becomes a political and emotional dumpster-fire. Thats they day they can claim that having National Holidays is just too dangerous and corporations will be telling us that; "If you want a day off - take a vacation day."

Until that day, I plan to enjoy my holiday dinner with family and then spend an uninterrupted evening with my Partner in Second Life; being thankful that I still can 🙂

giphy.gif

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:
13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

How would you know who to make an exception for? What do Native Americans look like? Where do they live?

A lot of Natives are in my immediate family since my grandson is half Native American. But yes, not all Native Americans appear as such, and in that case only an apology can suffice if boundaries are crossed.

I'm speaking more to a personal level...those people around us in our daily lives. Not strangers or general  well-meaning messages sent out to everyone on a forum

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.