Jump to content
Phorumities

Reasons not to start a "Happy Thanksgiving" thread

Recommended Posts

1) Its an American Holiday and Americans should not impose their traditions on the non-Americans in the group.

2) Thanksgiving presents a sanitized version of history, settlers and natives sitting down to a feast in friendship, when in reality the feast was to celebrate a victory over a local tribe.

3) In these trying times we really don't have anything to be thankful for.

4) Such a topic will invariable involve religion or politics

5) One should never force well wishes on anyone else because you don't know their circumstances.

Feel free to add your own reasons why there should not be a "Happy Thankgiving " thread, but in the meantime, I wish everyone reading this a Happy Thanksgiving. Go get stuffed.. with turkey of course.

:)

Edited by Phorumities
changed a word
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. It isn't imposing traditions, you don't have to look at the thread if you don't want to?

2. Not entirely sure about that.

3. I'm thankful for my family and friends.

4. Probably.

5. It is seen as a good gesture. Even if I was down, I'd be well thankful for any well wishes regardless of my circumstances.

Why should I not be happy celebrating a national holiday just because it isn't celebrated in other places of the world?

Is this a troll post?

xad7i7z3r3wz.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is seen controversial by some indigenous tribesfolks - but more than to inform you on this fact I came in to ask you one question: why on hell did you swallow her bait,@Chaser Zaks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

It is seen controversial by some indigenous tribesfolks - but more than to inform you on this fact I came in to ask you one question: why on hell did you swallow her bait,@Chaser Zaks?

916.jpg

im stupid also those precious post counts get me closer to a custom title

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

1. It isn't imposing traditions, you don't have to look at the thread if you don't want to?

2. Not entirely sure about that.

3. I'm thankful for my family and friends.

4. Probably.

5. It is seen as a good gesture. Even if I was down, I'd be well thankful for any well wishes regardless of my circumstances.

Why should I not be happy celebrating a national holiday just because it isn't celebrated in other places of the world?

Is this a troll post?

xad7i7z3r3wz.png

Reason Number 6: people will think you are a troll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate holidays...When you're a kid the schools and your parent " sugarcoat" the meaning behind the holidays. 

Then when you become an adult you find out the truth and you're just sick to the stomach.

For weeks I've been trying to make up every darn excuse into not going.

But when my mother guilt trips me into going EVEN as an adult. 😞 I hope this day ends very soon.

 

This is my rant for today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Every time I see the movie, that part always makes me cackle with glee.

What movie is that?

My one of fave "Indian Movies" is Pow Wow Highway. It has bad hair, bad acting, a bad story line, and of course one of the leads is Latino and not Native American but despite all that, it is a very enjoyable, thoughtful  movie.  One critic called it "the native American version of Rain Man", but i disagree, Pow Wow Highway has nothing in common with it, and it is 1000 times better than that boring Tom  Cruise vehicle.

 

Phdvdcov.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, the reason...is because some of us are dealing with chicken pox and your happiness and reminders of being able to go out and visit people, essentially leaving your sanctuary and walking around like a Typhoid Mary infecting all that you encounter, are unwelcome.

 

The real reason I now hate this holiday is actually quite sad, tragic, and need not be thrust upon other people, there's enough sadness in this world already. So I'm going with my number two answer, instead, I'm blaming the pox. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now make Holidays morph into what I want them to be. Not that I disrespect what they mean to anyone else. But for me, Holidays are a reason for family & friends to come together and basically have a nice party :)

For Thanksgiving especially, it's a time to give thanks for what we have in life.

And I send money to the Saint Joseph Indian school instead of remembering yet again how we basically created this country by slaughtering Native Americans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

en6gv.jpg

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Every time I see the movie, that part always makes me cackle with glee.

3 hours ago, Phorumities said:

What movie is that?

"Addams Family Values"

:D



 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Thanksgiving bedtime story:

https://www.manataka.org/page269.html

"Following an especially successful raid against the Pequot in what is now  Stamford, Connecticut, the churches announced a second day of "thanksgiving" to celebrate victory over the heathen savages.  During the feasting, the hacked off heads of Natives were kicked through the streets like soccer balls.  Even the friendly Wampanoag did not escape the madness. Their chief was beheaded, and his head impaled on a pole in Plymouth, Massachusetts -- where it remained on display for 24 years.   

The killings became more and more frenzied, with days of thanksgiving feasts being held after each successful massacre. George Washington finally suggested that only one day of Thanksgiving per year be set aside instead of celebrating each and every massacre. Later Abraham Lincoln decreed Thanksgiving Day to be a legal national holiday during the Civil War -- on the same day he ordered troops to march against the starving Sioux in Minnesota."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Remember, our American friends... as you chow down this weekend, your CDC has warned you to completely avoid romaine lettuce.

And a lot of Turkey products, lmao

Nothing is safe to eat these days. Thankfully, I love a good game of chance.

(unless it involves cheesecake, which will actually kill me, or any seafood....because...gross)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like having the day off with pay..

We have a 4 day weekend but,I volunteered to work the other three..I would have worked tonight but I would have been the only one there.. hehehehe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

A Thanksgiving bedtime story:

https://www.manataka.org/page269.html

"Following an especially successful raid against the Pequot in what is now  Stamford, Connecticut, the churches announced a second day of "thanksgiving" to celebrate victory over the heathen savages.  During the feasting, the hacked off heads of Natives were kicked through the streets like soccer balls.  Even the friendly Wampanoag did not escape the madness. Their chief was beheaded, and his head impaled on a pole in Plymouth, Massachusetts -- where it remained on display for 24 years.   

The killings became more and more frenzied, with days of thanksgiving feasts being held after each successful massacre. George Washington finally suggested that only one day of Thanksgiving per year be set aside instead of celebrating each and every massacre. Later Abraham Lincoln decreed Thanksgiving Day to be a legal national holiday during the Civil War -- on the same day he ordered troops to march against the starving Sioux in Minnesota."

Can’t read that, sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phorumities said:

What movie is that?

My one of fave "Indian Movies" is Pow Wow Highway. It has bad hair, bad acting, a bad story line, and of course one of the leads is Latino and not Native American but despite all that, it is a very enjoyable, thoughtful  movie.  One critic called it "the native American version of Rain Man", but i disagree, Pow Wow Highway has nothing in common with it, and it is 1000 times better than that boring Tom  Cruise vehicle.

 

Phdvdcov.jpg

Addams Family Values

Lakota Woman and Smoke Signals were much better than Highway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I like having the day off with pay..

We have a 4 day weekend but,I volunteered to work the other three..I would have worked tonight but I would have been the only one there.. hehehehe

 

Lucky. I have to work 7 days in a row. Including today and tomorrow. All. Freakin. Day. No Thanksgiving for us this year. Again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Lucky. I have to work 7 days in a row. Including today and tomorrow. All. Freakin. Day. No Thanksgiving for us this year. Again.

We don't celebrate it at our house anyways..Not that We have a problem with others celebrating it..

I used to say I worked 7 days this week,but then one day realized,there is no such thing as a 7 day work week if it continues into the next..

I think this is my first day off in 3 normal day weeks.. hehehehe

 

The last time I was off was because I got hurt at work  when someone had a temper tantrum and threw a piece of metal and hit me in the back of my hand..

I was just passing by too..hehehehehe

15 stitches and they wouldn't let me come in until the stitches came out..I was so mad..

I was out for two weeks then..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×