Confusion on concurrent accounts generating L$

CrabMan314

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello. Something I'm a bit confused on, and thought I should ask about before I went ahead and tried it. I'm considering using multiple avatars in order to generate L$ for my main avatar more easily. I've had a look through the SL terms of service and didn't see anything, and I know that some users have alts, but I thought it best to ask anyway; would I be violating any rules or community standards by using two avatars simultaneously to generate L$ through different activities, provided that neither of them is a bot? Similarly, is there any restriction on transferring L$ between avatars that I own? And finally, this wiki page mentions the consequences for running "illegitimate alts," but beyond alts registered with inaccurate information, fails to define the term Can someone help me to understand, please?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by CrabMan314

9 answers to this question

yes alts are allowed, and as long you don't scam anything and move within the lines of TOS you can do with them as you wish.

You don't register multiple accounts as alts (anymore  thats many years ago) it are simply all normal accounts with for LL no difference you play on mr A or mr B or miss C, and you can use the same payment method for all and exchange your L$, be sure to register their accoundetails accurate, also the requested RL info ( not more than your birthday and country i think)

Alts are not bots, but cán be one... as any other account, a bot is a account that acts on command of a program, normal alts are handled as any account, by a person at the keyboard.

To run two accounts the same time on one machine with full viewers isn't recommended if you'r on a mediocre or low end pc .. and for sure not when on a laptop, those have mostly not the best cooling and will fry themself. Unless you like to snack baked eggs and bacon duing playing i'd be carefull with that :)

there are also txt only viewers, or limited graphigs in the third party viewer directory, those are best suitable when your machine is struggling with two full viewers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey, CrabMan!

No, there's no problem with what you propose.  A great many people in SL have alts that they use for various purposes.  For example, I own most of a Mainland region, and have about 20 rental properties there.  All the rent payments go to my alt's $L account.  Every month before my tier is due, I transfer $L from her account to mine and sell the $L to cover the tier payment.  This keeps rental income separate from my shoe shopping budget.  Other reasons for alts:

• Used for respite from interruptions from friends, when one wishes to concentrate on creative projects
  • Used to escape a persistent stalker
  • A test subject to try on clothes, and test Next User permissions on products
  • A second point of view to help diagnose things like rezzing or communication problems
  • Used to explore kinks, fetishes and the dark side of SL without compromising the reputation of your main account
  • Registered as "scripted agents" (bots), they can be permanent store models
  • Used as roleplay characters

Alts are treated by LL as separate accounts.  Of course, they know that the accounts share an owner...but you can't give No Transfer inventory items to your alt, and only one of you can possess a particular No Copy item at a time.  But you can interact with your alt the same way you can interact with anyone else...give them transferable items, pay them $L, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Illegitemate alts could refer to those that users who have been banned from SL with all their accounts create to come back... TOS does not allows this. Please keep in mind that many games hate alts. Keep one alt per game and don't ever mention you have one for another game... some of those game creators are paranoid about them.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

And specifically to your question about using them for their L$:  I created mine primarily as Premium alts to donate their tier for the land I own.  IF (big 'if') I left their L$ balance alone, then at the end of the year I could cash each one out and the L$ would just about pay for all of the Premium renewal fee.  However, I am a shopping addict and thus will sometimes go in and steal their L$ for my Lil's personal use -- it saves me the LindeX fee of putting in real money and buying L$.

Now, if you wanted the alts just to get around the LindeX limits, there might be some issues.  Otherwise, have at it and have fun.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2018 at 1:45 AM, CrabMan314 said:

Hello. Something I'm a bit confused on, and thought I should ask about before I went ahead and tried it. I'm considering using multiple avatars in order to generate L$ for my main avatar more easily. I've had a look through the SL terms of service and didn't see anything, and I know that some users have alts, but I thought it best to ask anyway; would I be violating any rules or community standards by using two avatars simultaneously to generate L$ through different activities, provided that neither of them is a bot? Similarly, is there any restriction on transferring L$ between avatars that I own? And finally, this wiki page mentions the consequences for running "illegitimate alts," but beyond alts registered with inaccurate information, fails to define the term Can someone help me to understand, please?

Thank you for your time.

Another factor is how you plan to use them to "generate L$." If you're looking at various "grinding" type games/activities within Second Life they're generally run by residents who will make their own rules about how to go about doing it. For instance, there are "sploders" that will try to block multiple users from the same IP address on the assumption that it's the same real-life person trying to double their chances.

• Like 1

People also make alts to keep the Marketplace "clutter" down some --- so not having shoes, and plants, and sex animations in the same account for example.   Linden Lab knows (or can find out if they want) who your alts are unless you go to GREAT lengths LOL which I can't see is worth it. 

Just have all your alts play nice and you should be fine .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

For instance, there are "sploders" that will try to block multiple users from the same IP address on the assumption that it's the same real-life person trying to double their chances.

IP Sniffers, Another reason never to turn on parcel media / streaming... :( one fishing game even does web cashouts to combat alts - while effective against alts it also prevents RL couples from playing that game together.

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.