Esmeraldazs

Hardware skinning for Full Mesh Avatars

On Firestorm Viewer for Full Mesh avatars 

Do you need Hardware Skinning checked?

I don't remember having it checked before but now I look weird without it checked

Please check if you look weird like with lines on skin, body, color destortion on body anywhere, etc if you can uncheck it and recheck it before replying would be helpful

Edited by Esmeraldazs

On 11/22/2018 at 3:26 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Yes this is expected behaviour on any viewer.
Rigged mesh will have ugly shading unless you have hardware skinning enabled.

What is 'hardware skinning'? I can observe its effects but I've never understood what it is. It's one of those things I just change when I'm trouble-shooting to see if it does anything helpful.

6 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

What is 'hardware skinning'? I can observe its effects but I've never understood what it is. It's one of those things I just change when I'm trouble-shooting to see if it does anything helpful.

My guess is it uses more GPU features (hardware) to texture stuff instead of CPU features, ... all I know is alpha blended onion appliers look crap with it turned off.

I know that it offloads some mesh processing to the GPU rather than the CPU. I've not a clue why things look funny when the CPU handles those things instead of the GPU though.

It basically offloads to your GPU the task of translating all those mesh deformations cause by the skeleton on avatars and rigged meshs.