second life viewer

Flydragon2642

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To whom it may concern,

i am trying to download the second life viewer on my new Acer chrome book and it won'y let me down load it ....it has that  it is not qualified for it or it needs a new viewer to down load it  so can some one please suggest to me  a good  viewer  i can use to down load my second life viewer on to my Acer chrome book ????

sincerely Flydragon2642

why not i mean they should make an operating system for everything out there in these days and age i mean the way the technology is today i mean seriously really wow so i need something i can use to down load second life viewer on any ideas ...i could have  done it on my desktop pc  however it is down and not working so  i need to use  something eslr=e i can find online for free to use as a down load for the viewer????

You need to work through a chroot, install an Ubuntu VM on the chromebook and then install a Linux viewer.

im currently on the road so I don't have time to write out a step by step guide, you'll need to google how to use crouton on a chromebook

gotta put it in developer mode, mess around with a command line a lot, then use the ubuntu Linux vm to install and play SL

its gonna perform terribly just as a warning 

if your chromebook runs Android apps you can install Lumiya. Otherwise your stuck working with Linux apps as mentioned. But the video card in most chromebooks (and the amount of RAM) are going to make it all but unusable for SL at anything but the lowest graphics settings. And then still painful

On 11/21/2018 at 8:08 PM, cykarushb said:

You need to work through a chroot, install an Ubuntu VM on the chromebook and then install a Linux viewer.

im currently on the road so I don't have time to write out a step by step guide, you'll need to google how to use crouton on a chromebook

gotta put it in developer mode, mess around with a command line a lot, then use the ubuntu Linux vm to install and play SL

its gonna perform terribly just as a warning 

is there any other way you can help me through this to get SL viewer on mh laptop .... i havd tried firestorm on my laptop an really got no where with even with video directoions??

A Chromebook is not a laptop, no matter which company builds it nor what their user base might try and state. It is a mock Android Tablet, designed truthfully for little more than use as a basic word processor and web surfing device.

There really is a reason why they are far cheaper than "normal" laptop machines.

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

A Chromebook is not a laptop, no matter which company builds it nor what their user base might try and state. It is a mock Android Tablet, designed truthfully for little more than use as a basic word processor and web surfing device.

There really is a reason why they are far cheaper than "normal" laptop machines.

-Quote someone who doesnt know what theyre talking about.

I had an acer cb3, celeron n2840, 2gb of ddr3, mediocre at best. However its running full fledged linux, ChromeOS is built off of Gentoo Linux. Its designed as a web browsing machine, watch youtube and browse facebook or whatever. But in the end its a haswell mobile celeron and 2gb of ram on linux, its decently capable if you know how to use it. Its not designed for people who know what theyre doing with the hardware but the hardware is there. I used to run a large variety of stuff on an Ubuntu 12.04 chroot ranging from playing Counterstrike: Source via steam on ubuntu, to basic photo editing with Gimp.

It will play secondlife with firestorm. Its just going to perform awfully because youre working through a VM layer on a machine thats best suited for older games and mainly for its original purpose, web browsing at best.

22 minutes ago, Flydragon2642 said:

is there any other way you can help me through this to get SL viewer on mh laptop .... i havd tried firestorm on my laptop an really got no where with even with video directoions??

If you made an ubuntu chroot and installed firestorm on it, and it didnt run, its probably just not going to. I said it was possible, but not that it would work well at all. Its plain and simple not up to the task.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cykarushb said:

I had an acer cb3, celeron n2840, 2gb of ddr3, mediocre at best. However its running full fledged linux, ChromeOS is built off of Gentoo Linux. Its designed as a web browsing machine, watch youtube and browse facebook or whatever. But in the end its a haswell mobile celeron and 2gb of ram on linux, its decently capable if you know how to use it. Its not designed for people who know what theyre doing with the hardware but the hardware is there. I used to run a large variety of stuff on an Ubuntu 12.04 chroot ranging from playing Counterstrike: Source via steam on ubuntu, to basic photo editing with Gimp.

It will play secondlife with firestorm. Its just going to perform awfully because youre working through a VM layer on a machine thats best suited for older games and mainly for its original purpose, web browsing at best.

If you made an ubuntu chroot and installed firestorm on it, and it didnt run, its probably just not going to. I said it was possible, but not that it would work well at all. Its plain and simple not up to the task.

okay then how do i down load the forestorm viewer for SL with out causing alot of B.S. and  or it been very stupid for me hmmmmm .... however ihave no issues using SL viewer on my desk top pc but it is down atm k believe it is my power supply on my desktop pc since i have changed the button cell battery init already an nothing ????

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, cykarushb said:

okay whatever then uuuugg

Cykar, I know very well what I am talking about - thank you very much.

You make a habit of pretending "loads the program" means "useful" or "works" - loading and actually being properly usable are not the same thing - at all.

You like to tinker - lovely. You also took the "system requirements" page - which has not been updated in a long time - at face value. Not so lovely. Getting a program to load does not mean it is usable - that's reality.

Just as my description of any Chromebook is reality.

You don't have to like it nor do you have to agree - both are quite irrelevant. Your opinion doesn't change anything.

4 minutes ago, Flydragon2642 said:

yes i know this ...2ndly i never said you didn't know anythig at all  i was merely voicing my opinoin is all iwas doing sheesh we all are entlied to an opinion so yeah that is all iwas just saying okay .....so thanks anyways 🙂

You are "Flydragon" - not "Cykar"

I did not respond to you a moment ago.

Now I am.

Edited by Solar Legion

Flydragon2642,   your best short-term bet - for a non-technical solution - might be to try the Lumiya app, if you can run Android apps on your Chromebook.  The best long-term solution is to either get your desktop fixed, or get a laptop or other desktop with a Windows operating system and sufficient RAM and video card capabilities.

1 minute ago, moirakathleen said:

Flydragon2642,   your best short-term bet - for a non-technical solution - might be to try the Lumiya app, if you can run Android apps on your Chromebook.  The best long-term solution is to either get your desktop fixed, or get a laptop or other desktop with a Windows operating system and sufficient RAM and video card capabilities.

oh okay i can try when i get ghe money to do that an get  the right tech guy to help me ougt on my pc desk top 😄 thvm for that moiraka

Just now, Flydragon2642 said:

oh  so very sorry mhy bad 😞

No worries - I likely came across as a bit sharper than intended when making the correction.

There are some types that just ... rub me the wrong way.

But yeah, your options are very limited and some will require a fair bit of technical knowledge or at the least a competent tutorial. As it stands, you're not going to be able to use a "normal" Second Life client on that machine - not at what most would truly call "acceptable". Bearable? Perhaps ....

As has been suggested, if you can use the Google Play Store on that machine, you could use Lumiya.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.