Unable to play Sl using any viewer due to graphics related issues which results in computer shutting down frequently.

Johnathaniscool

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I  I have been a  resident in SL since 2015. This is my first post in this forum because I have been rendered desperate for answers in regards
to why my computer shuts down completely and randomly when I am in-game using any viewer and irregardless of the graphics settings  in Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit  linux. I am a Ubuntu user with a 2013 Acer V5 series laptop with Intel HD 4000 Graphics(and thus uses mesa drivers for OpenGL rendering and intel i915 as my graphics driver) onboard as its integrated graphics adapter. Now hear me out. When this laptop was brand new, I never had these problems using any of the viewers as long as I set it to low settings the worst thing it would do is close the program and not crash the entire system. But as the viewers updated and with drivers and OS versions following the same route, I noticed an increasing demand on
the system to the point where I had to use lightweight viewers like Cool VL Viewer in order to be stable. For a while Cool VL viewer seemed to work without any problems, I could travel anywhere,be in any crowd or in a quiet sim without crashing albeit i did had some random crashes that werent fatal and infrequent from time to time but as long as it was set to low settings and object/mesh details were low/mid,everything worked as it should. This was on Ubuntu 16.04 which i had upgraded from not too long ago. I updated my system from Ubuntu 16.04 to Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit and this is where the trouble starts. Now it randomly crashes no matter what I do/where I am  after a couple seconds even in Cool VL Viewer. I noticed that when im in certain areas of a sim or if i pan my camera to a certain spot(this used to happen when my camera is rendering potted plants or trees in Firestorm and is a consistent problem with other viewers as well) the likelihood to fatally crash and shutdown is almost 100%. I had found out that a kernel version seemed to help with the problem a bit but then it eventually started crashing even on the older kernel(4.4.137). Also note that i can use other programs that can be equally demanding  and they do not crash the system. I have cleaned out the laptop and applied thermal paste to the CPU 4 months ago and I can feel cool air blowing out of the vents so I do not believe this is an overheating issue although it could be. Another notable issue is that the CPU fan is constantly high,even when the system is idle and it started behaving like this when i first cleaned it. Is it truly time to throw in the towel and buy a new laptop or is this a glitch/graphical  that i can fix?

2 hours ago, cykarushb said:

Monitor temperatures with some kind of 3rd party program, it might still be overheating if the cooler isn't making proper contact with the CPU die

Right. There is a a Linux Utility called lm-sensors I will use to do that.  EDIT: This is a result upon setting it up and using it:

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +50.0°C  (crit = +97.0°C)
temp2:        +45.0°C  (crit = +92.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +51.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:         +51.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:         +51.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

My temperatures  range between 50-60 degrees celsius upon normal use for work(non-3D) as is expected. I will take another look back but pulling apart the laptop is a hell in itself because i tried today and could not get it open to look at the fan even though I  was successful the first time lol.

Edited by Johnathaniscool

On 11/22/2018 at 3:57 AM, Johnathaniscool said:

My temperatures  range between 50-60 degrees celsius upon normal use for work(non-3D) as is expected.

But your computer doesn't shut down during "normal, non-3D work" does it? But you have a baseline at least, now you should run a viewer and keep checking temps until the computer shuts down. The load experienced by your laptop can change drastically in seconds.

Also, if your fan is constantly running on high unlike before you cleaned it, that should be a pretty strong indicator that you messed up somehow, possibly left particles of dust in critical places.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

I run Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. When I had problems like that it was two bad locations in DRAM. A memory diagnostic found those, and new RAM fixed it.

Time to run hardware diagnostics.

If you pass memory testing, I suggest running the Unreal Engine 4 benchmark, "Valley". It's a demo of Unreal Engine, a benchmark for graphics cards, and a good system test. It's a big outdoor world you can explore, but there's no gameplay; it's just a tech demo. Left to itself, it will show a tour of the valley, which thoroughly exercises the graphics hardware and CPU. It should run without trouble on Ubuntu for hours. If it doesn't, hardware repair time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.