You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I’m looking to learn Djing in SL! 

Went to several schools, but no one works with Mac?! Is it really such an problem?

Also ask some friends and people how already play here in SL, but it always stays with promises but no help (all what there say is, download Mixxx, and then I’m still waiting for the rest ?)

Is there somebody how can help me, or somebody how knows a school that accept people working with an Mac?

Thanks ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ras we offer free DJ classes at Helping Haven Gateway and have a teacher that could assist you with any queries.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Helping%20Haven%20Gateway/42/52/25

http://helpinghaven.weebly.com  , you will see the calendar there and see when the classes are. It may be possible to arrange a one on one also with our teacher. Please do contact me in world if you wish.

Lily.

• Like 1

1 - get zillions of mp3 files on your PC somewhere.

2 - get mixxx, sam, virtual DJ or even winamp with plugins to not just play your mp3's but spit the data out onto the internet.

3 - Rent a DJ stream in SL. Dont pay hundreds, theyre as cheap as 25$L a week some places

4 - Put the stream URL you have rented into the output of your mixxx / sam / virtual dj / winamp with plugins settings

5 - Find a DJ job in sl and play to the flies on the wall for hours on end until your hearts content.

• Like 3

On 11/27/2018 at 10:30 AM, Lily Swindlehurst said:

Hi Ras we offer free DJ classes at Helping Haven Gateway and have a teacher that could assist you with any queries.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Helping%20Haven%20Gateway/42/52/25

http://helpinghaven.weebly.com  , you will see the calendar there and see when the classes are. It may be possible to arrange a one on one also with our teacher. Please do contact me in world if you wish.

Lily.

Thank you Lily, I will contact you asap 😉

15 hours ago, rasterscan said:

1 - get zillions of mp3 files on your PC somewhere.

2 - get mixxx, sam, virtual DJ or even winamp with plugins to not just play your mp3's but spit the data out onto the internet.

3 - Rent a DJ stream in SL. Dont pay hundreds, theyre as cheap as 25$L a week some places

4 - Put the stream URL you have rented into the output of your mixxx / sam / virtual dj / winamp with plugins settings

5 - Find a DJ job in sl and play to the flies on the wall for hours on end until your hearts content.

Thanks rasterscan, will keep your manual in mind 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Chenoa86 said:

Hey I am a dj on sl  I would like to learn more . i work at  Muddy's Music Cafe 

Just practice... and get your inspiration from RL, as your mix also happens in RL and not in SL.

This may apply more to electronic music, but if you manage to make nice transitions, if you can make one song slide smoothly into the other one, then you are already ahead of 90% of all SL DJs.
Most of them just string together their songs, and could easily be replaced by a deaf and blind bot.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Just practice... and get your inspiration from RL, as your mix also happens in RL and not in SL.

This may apply more to electronic music, but if you manage to make nice transitions, if you can make one song slide smoothly into the other one, then you are already ahead of 90% of all SL DJs.
Most of them just string together their songs, and could easily be replaced by a deaf and blind bot.

The key to a proper segue is note for note, key for key and beat for beat. Two of three choices would work well.

You don't want to come out of a slow song into one that spins the head or out of a song that has a 7/4 count in to something really slow (few exceptions). It would be like hitting the brakes on your car from 70 mph cruise control to a school zone limit. Work from one end and climb, or descend. Experiment with songs of your choice and see what I am saying.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

The key to a proper segue is note for note, key for key and beat for beat. Two of three choices would work well.

You don't want to come out of a slow song into one that spins the head or out of a song that has a 7/4 count in to something really slow (few exceptions). It would be like hitting the brakes on your car from 70 mph cruise control to a school zone limit. Work from one end and climb, or descend. Experiment with songs of your choice and see what I am saying.

What Schatzi says.

I must add that you should get a good reliable audio edit system, Audacity is good. Make sure your audio levels match or are within reasonable range. Audacity will allow you to adjust dB levels, then export back into your music library. Nothing ruins a good listen but when the songs are too loud (clipping the top and bottoms, sounding distorted) or too soft (the listener has to turn their volume up to hear the song).

Just a suggestion.

Edited by Chassie Rowley

33 minutes ago, Chassie Rowley said:

What Schatzi says.

I must add that you should get a good reliable audio edit system, Audacity is good. Make sure your audio levels match or are within reasonable range. Audacity will allow you to adjust dB levels, then export back into your music library. Nothing ruins a good listen but when the songs are too loud (clipping the top and bottoms, sounding distorted) or too soft (the listener has to turn their volume up to hear the song).

Just a suggestion.

most dj programs have this build in, no need to adjust everything manually. And if you use legal obtained music by the official distribution channels it's sometimes even already done.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

most dj programs have this build in, no need to adjust everything manually. And if you use legal obtained music by the official distribution channels it's sometimes even already done.

I beg to differ on the legal distribution levels.

I've processed music from CD's that clipped both top and bottom waves. As for 'manually adjusting' levels, I don't mind doing that at all. It gives me hands on experience using Audacity. Eye balling the audio levels to a reasonably good level gives me comfort that the dB levels are consistent.

Granted, everyone has their styles of editing. I am not saying you are wrong and I'm right. Whatever edit program one is happy with, so be it. Consistent levels is part of the remedy to being a good DJ on SL.

• 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.