The most amazing "Inspirational Quote" bot ever..

chibiusa Ling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

/me facepalms.

Chib, you find these quotes INSPIRING??

/me hands you a card for Dial-a-Prayer.

No. xD. The bot was supposedly meant to be an A.I that gives out inspiring quotes thats getting itself a bit muddled. Whether or not that true is something else but I just find the results it comes up quite funny.

When I was little, I played with the random phrase generator program on Dad's computer. Though I modified both the algorithm and the dictionaries to make it more McMasters family focused, it was never as amusing as our daily stream of consciousness banter.

I don't sense any form of AI behind that quote generator, it just seems random to me...image.png.0e4f88b41e1a2f2e446f8abdeac31467.png 

Here's the sort of inspiration that arises from real human intelligence...

image.png.6e2cc53f5b87c7bdc76845302529a40e.png

That comes from my favorite source for inspirational posters... despair.com.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

took a few tries but finally got this one

?

That one actually makes sense!

I actually managed to get two in a row that weren't complete and utter nonsense:

aXm623xjU.jpg.76c8d9730139c0a1ed32d9d6678d1ea1.jpg

aXm2323xjU.jpg.342a0c7ed5e9fe2d71d4fba7234a66d9.jpg

Most of the time it produces stuff like this though:

aXm2122xjU.jpg.09ce69f0a08faf57d8a0c24bb76113ca.jpg

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't sense any form of AI behind that quote generator, it just seems random to me...

i agree. Only a human mind can create that level of confusion.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sagadin said:

You do have to admire the sheer range of this bot's wisdom at least...

What really disturbs me about all of this is that I know lots of people both in RL and SL who would take most of these "quotes" dead seriously at least when presented with those moody background pics.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

What really disturbs me about all of this is that I know lots of people both in RL and SL who would take most of these "quotes" dead seriously at least when presented with those moody background pics.

Well maybe not this one:

aXm3176xjU.jpg

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Sagadin said:

You do have to admire the sheer range of this bot's wisdom at least...

aXm7504xjU.jpg

It's not the AI's "wisdom", it's our ability to infer meaning where none exists. If you provide a context, in this case "inspiration", and then assemble random phrases, you're going to find "inspiration" somewhere in the mess. That will be our predisposition. There was no intelligence in the creation, only in the interpretation. And, you will remember the successes and forget the failures, that's how we work. The movie "Being There" explores this idea.

Juxtaposition is a powerful comedic device, and the random mixing of words and phrases will necessarily produce it. This is a central element of games like "Cards Against Humanity". I am oppositional, and have a childhood diagnosis to back up that claim. I've also been told I'm funny (that's for you to decide). I think these two characteristics may be related. I don't know whether my brain (which seems to operate fairly independently of "me") is better than average at finding odd interpretations of things, or worse than average at filtering them out. Either way, the result is that I might be thought funny because I present an above average amount of opposition juxtaposition. I do enjoy the irony that my sense of humor might indicate that my intelligence is a mirage.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.