Marketplace Llistings OH SO WRONG :D

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

So a high priced item that sold 4 times may show up higher on the list than a lower priced item that 6 times.

That doesn't compute according to what's showing as my bestsellers, Dakota. I have in my top six bestsellers:

• a L$50 item that has sold only once (total sale value = L$50)
  • a L$10 item that I've sold seven of (total sale value = L$70)
  • a L$75 item that I've sold 20 of (total sale value = L$1500

And yet on the very end of my listing (the last item, in fact - possibly due to its age - but it still sells) I have a L$5 item that I've sold 1100 of (total value = L$5,500), whereas at the very top of my bestsellers listing is another L$5 item that I've sold 388 of (total value = L$1,940).

That 'top' bestseller (the 388 quantity) has been selling in greater numbers recently, as opposed to the 1100 quantity item, so perhaps there's a mixture of pricing, popularity, and frequency/date coming together here?

• Moderators

As I said, when the metrics were originally created, back under SLExchange, Best Selling was supposed to be the Best selling, not the most sold, or highest price, etc.

Much has changed in the past 8 + years.;

If Best Selling is not doing what you think, or want, it to do, create a Jira Ticket for the Marketplace Team.  That is the only way they will know what it is you want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Arwen Serpente said:

Thank you Littleme. I think that JIRA is a bit different from the issue here - related but different. This issue is that Best selling simply doesn't sort according to what sells best for a store, regardless of quantity, time frame, or price, or any combination of them. I can't make heads or tails of it when applied to a search because I'm not familiar with everyone else's products to get a sense if it is correct or not. The algorithm as described in Dakota's post,  doesn't appear to be working correctly for individual stores. It may never have since we've (the Merchants) had this discussion a number of times over the years, and it certainly isn't now.

When I mentioned the search issues in the thread, it was more of a comment that it seemed to have only recently messed up (maybe with a recent MP change) and maybe the 'best selling' thing went wonky at the same time, but then other comments later indicated the 'best selling' was likely messed up for a long time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Unless the metrics have changed from the says of SLX/Xstreet, Best Selling is for the entirety of your store, not just the last week, or month, weighted by price.

It has changed then. I have new items and dead weight items (yes, I should probably remove those) that have yet to sell a single copy listed much higher than items that have brought in thousands over Lindens over time.

7 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

If you would like this changed, then by all means, please submit a Jira Ticket, as that is the only way the team will know that you want it changed/updated. 

I'm not sure if it's worth it, I can't imagine many people use that particular sorting order anyway. But it is broken, so maybe jsut remove it for now?

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

When I mentioned the search issues in the thread, it was more of a comment that it seemed to have only recently messed up (maybe with a recent MP change) and maybe the 'best selling' thing went wonky at the same time, but then other comments later indicated the 'best selling' was likely messed up for a long time.

Maybe. maybe not. To be absolutely honest, I hadn't even noticed the best selling search option until Chic started this thread. ;)

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I'm not sure if it's worth it, I can't imagine many people use that particular sorting order anyway. But it is broken, so maybe jsut remove it for now?

The question arises: Is this "per store Best Selling" sorting list the exact same thing as "global Best Selling" sorting list (the one accessible from the main page, https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search[sort]=sales_rank_asc   down on the left)? If it is the same sorting algorithm indeed, then that global Best Selling list is royally screwed, too! Yet, i am sure a lot of people make use of that one. I know i do, and have been for many years. Also, whenever one of my items ends up on the first page of that global Best Selling list, it immediately start selling like crazy, so i imagine that is indicating that many people do make use of that list. If it was to be removed, me personally i would definitely miss it.

4 hours ago, Elvina Ewing said:

The question arises: Is this "per store Best Selling" sorting list the exact same thing as "global Best Selling" sorting list (the one accessible from the main page, https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search[sort]=sales_rank_asc   down on the left)? If it is the same sorting algorithm indeed, then that global Best Selling list is royally screwed, too!

Woops, good point.

But remember what Dakota said:

21 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Unless the metrics have changed from the says of SLX/Xstreet, Best Selling is for the entirety of your store, not just the last week, or month, weighted by price.

Such an algorithm will nearly always list old items higher than more recent ones and nobody in the whole wide world would be stupid enough to think that's a good idea for the Marketplace as a whole.

Wow, this thread got lots of input.  Hopefully someone will notice :D 

I just checked and my listing is a bit more correct today. The Best Selling items at the TOP of the list appear to be matching more or less the RELEVANT search (which weights recent sales). So I do now have some actual best sellers listed in best selling BUT the ones at the top are followed still by the items that have rarely ever sold on the Marketplace. 

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators
On 11/20/2018 at 9:34 AM, ChinRey said:

Woops, good point.

But remember what Dakota said:

Such an algorithm will nearly always list old items higher than more recent ones and nobody in the whole wide world would be stupid enough to think that's a good idea for the Marketplace as a whole.

Hi!

Best Selling is Best Selling, regardless of how long the item has been around.

What you are really asking for is a way to have different options for looking at your Best Selling items by time range.  30, 60, 90 days and then 6 months, 12 months, and forever, etc. 

Since this option doesn't exist, it would need to be formally requested from the Engineers and Developers. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dakota Linden said:

What you are really asking for is a way to have different options for looking at your Best Selling items by time range.  30, 60, 90 days and then 6 months, 12 months, and forever, etc. 

Since this option doesn't exist, it would need to be formally requested from the Engineers and Developers. :)

Or even better, some sort of weighing where recent sales are giving more significance than older ones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.