Marketplace Llistings OH SO WRONG :D

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lots going on with the Marketplace updates -- most on the plus side I am sure and getting rid of those antique listings is a big help, BUT ---

I did a quick search this morning of my store using "Best Selling" as the criteria and was dismayed. 

The top products listed (prices erased as this is not an ad, but documentation)  IS  indeed a  good seller -- not BEST seller of late or over time, but number 3 over a long period of time. The tunnel IS my third all time top seller with several versions improvements over the years. 

ALL THE OTHER PRODUCTS in  that first page are things that sell rarely or never. They did well in events, but  not on the Marketplace and since I watch sales coming in, they aren't even "this week's" top sellers. 

So what is going on here?  Is it just ME? or is this info faulty for others too.  Screenshot below.

(My top two  historical sales are ACTUALLY 64 meter city surround and the camera with tripod. Neither are on that first page.)

1461463450_marketplacelistingsbestselling.thumb.jpg.c58a746d5d941ce02ba75432ef7c8c43.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm best selling on our MP bears absolutely no resemblance at all to what actually is known to be best selling.  It's all much older stuff, a couple of those on the first page of that filter have never sold on the MP at all.   I don't think this is a new thing, at least not for us, its always been that way.  I think using relevance seems to show best selling for us. 

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

The top products listed (prices erased as this is not an ad, but documentation)  IS  indeed a  good seller -- not BEST seller of late or over time, but number 3 over a long period of time. The tunnel IS my third all time top seller with several versions improvements over the years.

Thanks for the headsup, Chic!

I had a look at my Garden and Landscaping store and the item that has been my best seller almost every week for almost a year - and second best the few weeks it hasn't been on top - is no. 713 on the best selling list. It's even listed below some recent additions that hasn't sold a single copy yet.

This has been messed up for quite a while for at least some merchants ( self included), I don't believe it's a new thing, but perhaps it's more widespread than it once was and that makes it feel like a relatively new thing...not real sure to be honest. 

Thanks Chic for the notice! Yup, totally messed up here too. I rarely used that sort, so I wouldn't have known had you not posted. In the past, it always mirrored the Relevance sort (for my store), so I only use Relevance these days. But now, it's totally incorrect with many old and low selling items appearing before true best sellers. Thank you. LL has some "fixing" to do!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Check which have sold most recently, perhaps the counters were reset during changes.

As mentioned in the OP, most of the things on that page have NEVER sold on the Marketplace or if they have it was years ago. They are not even close to my top sellers.  I KNOW what those are LOL.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chic Aeon said:

As mentioned in the OP, most of the things on that page have NEVER sold on the Marketplace or if they have it was years ago. They are not even close to my top sellers.  I KNOW what those are LOL.  

Gotcha. But if the “reset” was last week or so, would it be accurate?

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

This has been messed up for quite a while for at least some merchants ( self included), I don't believe it's a new thing, but perhaps it's more widespread than it once was and that makes it feel like a relatively new thing...not real sure to be honest. 

I actually use that setting fairly often and it was working for ME the last time I checked.  It often changes (in the past anyway) and the "current" best sellers would show up there. But to have a page where they were mostly WORST sellers is not good.   LOL

I guess perhaps I might sell some of the things there on the list --- but so far "no" :D

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Gotcha. But if the “reset” was last week or so, would it be accurate?

No. I watch each and every sale. It isn't like I sell hundreds of things a day. Even on a good gacha month I know pretty much at all times how things are doing.  I don't keep records like lots of creators do, but I definitely know what is selling and where :D.    See my other new comment -- which I am sure you will.

Smiles

• Like 1

Searches are a bit messed up also - maybe since they pushed out that batch of MP changes that they mentioned in the blog post on Nov 1.  They claimed they did "Updates to search for more precise results", but some of the results are now more wonky than before.  I'm getting back items where I cannot find my search word in the item Title, Description, or Keywords.  

Maybe the Best Sellers thing is related to that same batch of MP changes.

50 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I use that filter rather infrequently, but in all the times I've used it I can't remember it EVER working correctly. But it's not such a big deal to me so haven't ever reported it. 

Pretty much this, lol, and I know we're not alone, there are a LOT of merchants who have experienced the same. I can't speak for all of them, but I can offer a general consensus as to how we dealt with it...

We chalked it up to another LL flubbery with the MP, and left it at that, because nothing has been done about it since it started going wonky.  I honestly can't remember when it started. I know for a fact some of the items on that list, for me, aren't best sellers, because I don't even sell them anymore, and haven't, in at least three years, lmao. 

Oh, and ftr. I can totally recognize that not ALL merchants were affected, but very few issues the MP has had since its inception have actually affected all, sometimes not even most. It's about as chaotic, and senseless as the rabbit running around my house right now like he's on speed

Edited by Tari Landar

41 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Searches are a bit messed up also - maybe since they pushed out that batch of MP changes that they mentioned in the blog post on Nov 1.  They claimed they did "Updates to search for more precise results", but some of the results are now more wonky than before.  I'm getting back items where I cannot find my search word in the item Title, Description, or Keywords.  

Maybe the Best Sellers thing is related to that same batch of MP changes.

File a JIRA?

• Moderators

Hi All!

Unless the metrics have changed from the says of SLX/Xstreet, Best Selling is for the entirety of your store, not just the last week, or month, weighted by price. 

So a high priced item that sold 4 times may show up higher on the list than a lower priced item that 6 times. 

Best selling has never been a list of all of your items with the most sold item at the top. 

If you would like this changed, then by all means, please submit a Jira Ticket, as that is the only way the team will know that you want it changed/updated. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Dakota Linden said:

Best Selling is for the entirety of your store, not just the last week, or month, weighted by price. 

So a high priced item that sold 4 times may show up higher on the list than a lower priced item that 6 times. 

Had to re-read this. So, it means “best seller as percentage of total L$ sales”, not “top number of units sold”?

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dakota for the info. If that's "supposed" to be the metrics/algorithm for the Best Selling sort, it isn't even close. As has been said in this thread and others before this, the Best Selling sort does not work at all. And as this thread points out, it seems to have deteriorated more recently. It's not a sort that I ever use because it has never been correct for my particular store and I wouldn't trust it when I shop other stores.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Had to re-read this. So, it means “best seller as percentage of total L$ sales”, not “top number of units sold”?

Me too.  

I have always wondered what on earth Relevance meant. Relevant to the search term? How is it affected by sales?

3 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Me too.  

I have always wondered what on earth Relevance meant. Relevant to the search term? How is it affected by sales?

Pamela, from my observation, it appears that Relevance is most recently sold mixed with some weight for quantity sold and possibly price.

edit: I should add - that's Relevance when I sort my own store. I'm not sure if Relevance is different when a search term is used. Shouldn't be.

Edited by Arwen Serpente
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arwen Serpente said:

LittleMe, would you post the link to the JIRA you created? Then we can go there and vote for it.

Here is the link.  I originally opened it for exact phrase searches not working and then added comments stating that other searches appear to be messed up also.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-225831

• Like 1

Nope, it doesn't actually do that either. None of my items are all that high priced, nor have they ever been, so if it measures by sales AND price..it's still wrong, and always has been. A $1l item that sells 25 times brings in more money and individual sales than a $10L item that sold 2 times, lmao.  So I do believe, somewhere along the line, metrics have changed. Maybe someone flubbed, maybe it's the software, maybe it's just a typo in the backend, we couldn't possibly know. I just know that most of the merchants I know, or have spoken to about it anyway, don't use this sort because it makes literally no sense and hasn't for as long as most of us can remember.  If others have not experienced this, then clearly, something's up. I won't presume to know what...but, it's got to be something on LL's end, since we have no control over any of that. 

I have items on my list that have beaten out other products both in overall quantity of sales and profit brought in, yet they sit lower on the list, way lower. If I didn't know any better, I would assume it simply puts things in a list willy nilly, or some other sort method code is intermingled where it ought not to be. But, again, I don't know the backend, so I suppose that assumption would be of no help whatsoever.

I don't even bother with those reports/sorts, and haven't for years, for this very reason, unreliability. 

• Like 1

Thank you Littleme. I think that JIRA is a bit different from the issue here - related but different. This issue is that Best selling simply doesn't sort according to what sells best for a store, regardless of quantity, time frame, or price, or any combination of them. I can't make heads or tails of it when applied to a search because I'm not familiar with everyone else's products to get a sense if it is correct or not. The algorithm as described in Dakota's post,  doesn't appear to be working correctly for individual stores. It may never have since we've (the Merchants) had this discussion a number of times over the years, and it certainly isn't now.

Edited by Arwen Serpente

Just checked mine and they're equally screwed (even though mine is all pretty old stuff now and doesn't sell much at all these days). One of my two top bestsellers is in the top six on the first page, but the other is almost at the end of the listings on the last page. In the 'top six' of my so-called bestsellers are three items that I've sold only two or three of, whereas my two actual bestsellers number in the multiple hundreds.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.