Bitte helfen Sie einem Amerikaner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Blame the British and their Great_Vowel_Shift - they messed it all up - ever since they stumbled over their own pronounciation no Anglophone had any idea how to pronounce Latin scripture...

Reverse the great vowel shift and read it as an Anglo Saxon would have and you will be pretty near (darn Anglo saxons knew no "ei" diptong though, because we invented that later -and ie is German way of writing a long ī )

I have a friend and colleague whose specialization is history of the English language. He never fails to refer to this to his students as "The Great Vowel Movement."

Apparently much hilarity ensues as a result.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...hurls burning pianos at you via trebuchet.

/me ducks, then tucks and rolls, and rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls, right into the base of the trebuchet setting it and Maddy on fire

Burn baby! Burn! 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, that was an annual competition, shown on TV. Maybe still.

The competition is on hiatus since 2016, when a reporter was seriously injured by a launcher malfunction. It's not clear if the organization will survive the lawsuit, nor whether anyone else will take on the risk of starting something up again.

The weekend competition was held in Morton, IL for years. I attended several of them. They were great fun, particularly the silliness on Sunday. There was target practice, with an old car parked in the field, being blown to smithereens, pumpkin by pumpkin. One year, a car was flipped up on its side by one shot, flipped over on its back by another, flipped up again by a third, and set back down by the fourth. There wasn't much left of the car at the end. The driver's door was blown through the car into the field on the passenger side. After the event, spectators combed the farm field to remove debris.

And then there was "skeet shooting", in which the catapults tossed things like washing machines (full of water and laundry!), commodes, and garden tractors into the air while the cannons hurled pumpkins at them. No pumpkin ever hit a target, but we didn't care.

In my childhood, we built several small trebuchets, from desktop pea hurlers, to one made of 2x4s that tossed squishy tomatoes into the woods, or on to our neighbor's roof. In my SL inventory, I have a catapult and a cannon. It's important to maintain traditions.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.