our email address revealed to players?

MograMadd Vichan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A player i just met ingame and who is not on my friends list sent me two unsolicited, unexpected emails right away, each with attachments in them.  I deleted them later when i realized it.   How are our private email addresses revealed to strangers in game?   I already had security settings in dashboard and login pages of my account set as secure as I could.  Maybe I missed something?  I have it set to receive NO notices or communications from SL or anybody.  Is it really possible for me to anyone to go into SL and start harvesting other people's account email addresses? 

Thanks for help!

5 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, MograMadd Vichan said:

A player i just met ingame and who is not on my friends list sent me two unsolicited, unexpected emails right away, each with attachments in them.  I deleted them later when i realized it.   How are our private email addresses revealed to strangers in game?   I already had security settings in dashboard and login pages of my account set as secure as I could.  Maybe I missed something?  I have it set to receive NO notices or communications from SL or anybody.  Is it really possible for me to anyone to go into SL and start harvesting other people's account email addresses? 

Thanks for help!

Are you sure they directly emailed you or did they just send an offline IM which, if you have it enabled in your preferences,  will come to your email and will be via Linden Lab not the person who messaged you

• Like 3

Thank you but yes I'm sure.  I wasn't offline but standing next to him when he complained he couldn't send me something ingame, a photo I presumed.  He suggested he could send it by email.   I had no desire for that and didn't respond back.  Several few minutes later in a "freindly" conversation he complained that I wasn't taking his email.  I thought nothing of it since I hadn't given out my email address and never would.  Today I see the two messages in my email inbox and the sender is shown as dsktop and the second is from dkstop2.  

Also my dashboard settings have always been to receive NO emails of my offline IMs or anything else from Second Life.  So, I'm puzzled here. 

26 minutes ago, MograMadd Vichan said:

Thank you but yes I'm sure.  I wasn't offline but standing next to him when he complained he couldn't send me something ingame, a photo I presumed.  He suggested he could send it by email.   I had no desire for that and didn't respond back.  Several few minutes later in a "freindly" conversation he complained that I wasn't taking his email.  I thought nothing of it since I hadn't given out my email address and never would.  Today I see the two messages in my email inbox and the sender is shown as dsktop and the second is from dkstop2.  

Also my dashboard settings have always been to receive NO emails of my offline IMs or anything else from Second Life.  So, I'm puzzled here. 

That does sound very odd to me.  Hopefully someone else will come along soon with a suggestion or you could contact support and tell them  https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

• Thanks 1

There is no way for some stranger in Second Life to find your email unless you have put it somewhere they can find it, or you have told someone.  In my own case there are plenty of people in my real life who could come in second life second life and find me. All they need is my account name. Fortunately no one has been that devious.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.