On mac desktop 2017/18 running mojave 10.14.1

Moora McMillan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I am concerned about my macs graphics- card ( Intel Iris plus graphics 640 1536 Mo)  I'm on FS and the suggestions I had from the inworld mac group was to put "quality and speed "between low to middle and draw distance to 128; I put rendering in the 50's numbers.

On my previous mac (on high Sierra) after 2 yrs I was playing  SL and the screen split into 2:  graphics card busted. I'm playing a pilot in SL but something  just doesn't seem right Could this be a viewer issue? Should I change viewer,? Which one? Thank you!

I would experiment with different viewers. I believe FS is a pig on both macOS and Windows when compared to other viewers. Though you haven't mentioned which Mac model you have and it's it's not a newer MacBook or iMac Desktop (or the new MacBook Air just released,) I would stick solely with the official LL viewer. If you need RLV then maybe Kokua.

On 11/15/2018 at 6:25 PM, Alyona Su said:

I would experiment with different viewers. I believe FS is a pig on both macOS and Windows when compared to other viewers. Though you haven't mentioned which Mac model you have and it's it's not a newer MacBook or iMac Desktop (or the new MacBook Air just released,) I would stick solely with the official LL viewer. If you need RLV then maybe Kokua.

Hi Thank you! I'm on a mac desktop which I bought about a month ago. I can try the official LL viewer, although I read negative comments on it. I will keep you posted .

On 11/15/2018 at 6:25 PM, Alyona Su said:

Hi and ty! My mac is a 2017/18 desktop computer which I bought a month ago. I have been suggested to use the LL SL viewer here in the forum. I'll give it a try! I'll keep you posted the results

On 11/16/2018 at 2:29 AM, ChibiDragon007 said:

I do agree that Firestorm is a massive memory hog. It uses almost all of the memory my MacBook Pro has available, however on the iMac desktop my mother has it runs even better, and I can push the graphics higher. 

Hi and thank you for your answer. I will try the LL SL viewer then I will write here how it will work for me. I'm on a iMac desktop 2017/2018 brand new.

1 hour ago, Moora McMillan said:

I can try the official LL viewer, although I read negative comments on it.

These are the "greater-than-thou, I know better for you than you do" types - they'd fit into politics perfectly. The Official LL viewer is a *good* viewer. The one and only thing other viewers have that could be necessary that the LL viewer will never have is RLV capability. If you don't know what that is, then it should not be as much as even a consideration for you.

To anyone who expresses to others that the official LL viewer isn't a good viewer (or any other viewer, for that matter): you are an elitist snob and should do us all a favor and go jump into the fires of hell, where you belong. If that viewer "sucks" for you then make it clear that it sucks *for you". Don't try to convince others that the LL viewer not as good as your own chosen viewer. Your opinion is only as important as you think is to yourself.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moora McMillan said:

HiI forgot to add I go to Open Sim and the SL viewer doesn't. I appreciate your "venting " towards the official SL LL viewer which I have used in the past and it worked very well for me. I just love the layout of FS it makes me operate much easier.

That's fair. I use both: Firestorm and Catznip - though I only go into FS when I need to "cheat" on something LOL It *IS* an excellent viewer, feature-wise. Though for me Catznip gives better performance. *For me*. :)

10 hours ago, ChibiDragon007 said:

I never got Catznip to work myself, has it been updated to work with the latest version of the Mac OS?

Unfortunately, no. It seems other than Linden Lab, all third party viewers have separate teams to compile the macOS versions and the person who did Catznip isn't doing it anymore; they need someone else. Other than the need for RLV (for my Wardrobe tool) I'd still use the Official viewer, myself, but on my macOS laptop, I go with Firestorm. Though I am keeping an eye on Kokua viewer.

• 7 months later...

Thank you Chibi and Alyona i will try a different user like the official LL or Alchemy maybe ? Anyway I write back.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:43 PM, janetosilio said:

You can always wear the earlier version of the head if it’s that much of an issue.

The update for lelutka looks a noticably different from the older versions. So much so that some creators redid skins for it.

As for your shape, do a female avatar test. Then put all of your old stuff back on a piece at a time and see if that gets you back to normal.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:42 AM, ChibiDragon007 said:

Just to update for you - i got a brand new 2018 Macbook Pro tonight and Firestorm made it heat up like crazy, on top of being a memory hog. There is definitely a leak issue and I noticed other users were having problems with it as well not just on Mac OSX but on Windows 10 according to those in the support group.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:13 PM, ChibiDragon007 said:

I never got Catznip to work myself, has it been updated to work with the latest version of the Mac OS?

We have only very recently gotten a mac to build and test on, it is VERY early days and nothing has been publicly released. We had hoped to have something up for people to test a while back, but RL has been a major block.

chgm19z.jpg

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.