Hollie Leavitt

RP.... I don't get it

SL is a game for people who want it to be a game.

For those people who don't, it's not.

simples-meme.jpg

Which takes me back to the OP's question - is the family RP just RP or is it more?

Again, that varies from one individual to another. And as long as you and the other people you are interacting with share the same viewpoint, that's fine. When someone has a different opinion from someone else, that's when the drama starts.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Again, that varies from one individual to another. And as long as you and the other people you are interacting with share the same viewpoint, that's fine. When someone has a different opinion from someone else, that's when the drama starts.

Good point Matty, Hollie you really want to avoid drama in SL by being clear with your new boyfriend what you want in the role play situation?  As you can tell by all of these responses pretty much anything goes in SL(werewolf babies included) so being very clear with this person your intentions is important.  On many profiles you will see "DRAMA FREE" posted because drama in SL can be not fun (icky).

image.png.c3a68e9cbef89fb6c177973d104f1bcd.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jameson2001 said:

On many profiles you will see "DRAMA FREE" posted because drama in SL can be not fun (icky).

image.png.c3a68e9cbef89fb6c177973d104f1bcd.png

Good drama ain’t free, it costs an arm and a leg!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Many are tempted to call Second Life a game, but two years after its launch, Linden Lab circulated a memo to employees insisting that no one refer to it as that. It was a platform.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/12/second-life-leslie-jamison/544149/

From the discussion above, one sees that SL fails to fit itself clearly in any of the Games, Simulation Games, or Simulators categories. Our conclusion, agreeing with Bestebreurtje (2007), is that, by Narayanasamy et al. (2006) criteria, SL is neither a game nor a training simulator nor even a simulation game.

[...]

CONCLUSION As stated before, the main objective of this study was to examine the viability of SL as an environment for physical simulations. We consider that the rich immersive 3D massively multi-user experience SL provides is pleasant, engages the user to explore the territory, and, therefore, offers a number of advantages over a 'traditional' 2D simulator. Sanchez (2009) affirms that “designers can create a user experience that will build on the strengths of the virtual world while overcoming the obstacles”. We agree with Sanchez and consider that, despite the restrictions and differences in comparison to a ‘traditional’ simulator such as Modellus, SL shows itself as a viable and flexible state-of-the-art physics engine-powered platform for microworlds and simulations, even if it requires some creativity to overcome the difficulties of implementation.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1405/1405.6326.pdf

In the beginning, there was Philip Rosedale. “I’m not building a game, I’m building a country,” said the brains behind Second Life. Today his project is actually more than a country, it’s a multiplatform metaverse, designed to allow techies the freedom to create their own community across multiple computer servers. There are no dragons to slay, no levels to reach—and the possibilities for creativity, business and social interaction are endless. And it’s still not a game.

https://www.newsweek.com/10-things-you-need-know-about-second-life-104567

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

I find it amusing that most people who declare themselves to be "Drama Free" actually tend to attract it.

I'm here for the Drama LLamas... 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My SL dad is with me since 2013, we started as a RP family but things didn't work out, though he stuck with me and vice versa. We're friends first but I still call him dad and I know he got my back when I need it and it's the same way for him.

• Like 3

@HarrisonMcKenzie, thanks for your encouraging post. I definitely am appreciating more and more the diversity of approach that people have to SL.

By now, I have realized that the situation I described does not exactly fit within the definition of RP.. I actually can't wait to try out proper RP 'cause it sounds like a lot of fun! 😃

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

My SL dad is with me since 2013, we started as a RP family but things didn't work out, though he stuck with me and vice versa. We're friends first but I still call him dad and I know he got my back when I need it and it's the same way for him.

That's really really sweet

• Like 3

My original SL family was great until drama happened due to cheating.  Lying and disrespect are problems in SL just like they are in RL but some people like to say SL is just a game so it doesn't matter...blah, blah, blah, eye roll.  This expression gets used a lot because it's true:  "There are real people behind these avatars."  People have feelings that get hurt by mean-spirited people on SL just like in RL.  If people are just popping into people lives and hurting them by being liars than that's a problem no matter where you are.  If things are discussed clearly and honestly from the beginning of a friendship / relationship than problems can usually be avoided (not always but usually).  My second SL family was amazing but they are rarely on anymore so I'm really just living my best SL life and protecting my feelings.  I'm hesitant to join any new families because they seldom end well and I'm not into soap operas so...  Sucks because I come off as being standoffish but getting burned by inconsiderate a**holes isn't something I want to deal with again.  No type of RPing is exempt from drama regardless of what some people may say.  I've seen drama in every type of RPing genre from vamps to furries.  Just be very clear about what you're expecting when going into any group related activities.  I have more than one SL friend who actually met their RL spouse on SL..love can happen here.

Edited by StellaMaris81
grammar edit

On 11/14/2018 at 6:20 AM, Hollie Leavitt said:

- Are we all just playing characters here and is this all just a game? How serious is it?

Even if you get that ironed out ahead of time... you don't always manage to get that ironed out ahead of time.

For years now I have had some version of "I don't do SL relationships" in my profile because some people really don't know the answer to this even as they are driving the interactions. Other times they do know... and they have radically different intentions than you... but it wasn't clarified in advance so people are operating on different levels of emotion... someone get hurt.

I STRONGLY advise having a conversation about 'what is this we're doing' before you go any further. If it is just RP, try to enjoy it. But is someone there is taking is very seriously, and that someone is not BOTH you and them... get out.

Lots of people RP just for kicks here. And lots of other people develop real and meaningful life-altering relationships here. Both are perfectly fine things to do. It's just when the people involved don't realize which one they're doing that things get dangerous...

• Like 4

My personal feeling is that we all play a character in SL toa greater or lesser extent. Some of us are in full on RP mode from the moment we log in and will even say so in our profiles. Others, like myself do our best to live our second lives as extensions of our real lives; and living it as authentically as possible. But even with that, there are times when we use the 'get out of jail free card' of, 'well, it's second life'; not always consciously, not always with forethought. But in spite of how much I try to keep in mind I'm dealing with real people with real emotions, there have been times when something or other has blown up in my face and i'm aware, that i don't feel as bad about it as i might if something similar had happened right in front of me in real space, with all the senses brought into play. 

My own particular way of dealing with sl, is to be as real as possible. I don't alt out (and have only once dropped out) after a breakup or a fight with a friend. I rarely block people who aren't all out griefers, preferring to talk the thing through or to a stalemate where we both agree to ignore each other until we go away; and I try to remain aware of those times when I'm viewing my own behavior through an 'sl lens' and not holding myself properly accountable.

When it comes to others, I assume everyone is consciously playing a character, formal rp or no; until I know them well enough to understand otherwise. In a world full of strangers playing,  exploring various facets of themselves, expressing their creativity, etc. There is nothing in my real life I owe them. And I don't offer it. Where, how and with whom I live will have no impact on the second lives they are working to create.

My relationships are the exception. Friends, lovers, I don't get involved unless they're philosophy is similar to my own. The relationships are very real, even if the world we share isn't. It's an assurance we give each other that we will not throw each other away in a fit of pique and that we have the right to call each other out for bad behavior or neglect. These are people I've known for a long time and we usually have more methods of getting in touch than just sl. RL names and phone numbers are often exchanged and SL becomes a means of deepening our connection. It's responsibility, accountability and love.

This is not what I expect from sl at large. People are here for different reasons at different times. And in my view everyone deserves the freedom of deciding what this place means for them without being forced to meet my expectations. So I don't expect anything. And I don't obligate myself to them either. 

Posted (edited)

pffft in the end all we do is play a role(the role of a mother, a son, a *enter job title here* - whatever applies to your RL), life´s just a game you can´t really win anyways and our SL avatars are visualised Characters like in a video- or RP Game... Now with any char in ...anything... you can´t get rid of yourself 1000%. Alex is more than Kasha but Kasha is definately Alex - and so is Rhian (who is my StarWars Chat RPG Char and 100% Kasha with a different name), so is Ari (Arali'wa Raven - red Twi'lek ,same RP as Rhian, different Unit - still....). Kasha and Rhian might be "used" to express my more rock, adventurous, bla side - though they´ve both calmed down ^^, Ari is expressing my calmer side but then she´s picked up a notch - it´s not because I can´t RP - I can... I´ve given classes about it and get compliments all the time - but I can´t get rid of that "RL" character... 

The point is - SL is a virtual world - a mix between 3d visual chat, voice chat and a ton of different games - all in one. So it IS a game, many games, a chat, a voice chat and other things. In the end we´re all true and not true - Schrödinger´s Game if you want to

Edited by Akasha Sternberg
  • Like 2

Rp is simple you play as a character, and try to not break character. Some of my friendships are strictly in character. Some break the fourth wall a bit. In general I like to keep SL seperate from RL. You are aware that you ar RP'ing and you also do it to add to the immersion for others.

Think unedited fan fiction in a situation where two or more characters are interacting. You do this with another, or others, in turns with reasonable time intervals between each post. 

Alternatively, stories talk about everything, while roleplay just skips to when person A is with person B and doing something.

PS. You can do solo roleplay, but that really is just a story that tries to look like roleplay as it would when A and B are together. This sometimes happens when a character is part of a larger situation and needs some filler to justify progressing the main story. Not always a good idea to say you journeyed west and 'arrived' when everyone else it making an effort in pairs to fill in the overall story, be it for personal enjoyment or practical application.

Edited by taintedxjennifer

On 12/31/2018 at 5:40 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Even if you get that ironed out ahead of time... you don't always manage to get that ironed out ahead of time.

For years now I have had some version of "I don't do SL relationships" in my profile because some people really don't know the answer to this even as they are driving the interactions. Other times they do know... and they have radically different intentions than you... but it wasn't clarified in advance so people are operating on different levels of emotion... someone get hurt.

I STRONGLY advise having a conversation about 'what is this we're doing' before you go any further. If it is just RP, try to enjoy it. But is someone there is taking is very seriously, and that someone is not BOTH you and them... get out.

Lots of people RP just for kicks here. And lots of other people develop real and meaningful life-altering relationships here. Both are perfectly fine things to do. It's just when the people involved don't realize which one they're doing that things get dangerous...

Honesty is definitely the best policy in my opinion. There have been a number times that I wasn't sure what was going to happen if I engage someone in an IM. I try to answer all my IM's if I can. Will the person be role playing with me, am I being "punked" or is the person on the other end was just imbalanced. I get a little leery of IM's sometimes because I don't know if I'm going to have a general interest discussion or if it's going to be one of the above 🙂

I absolutely love to RP!

There are many styles of RP and many scenarios that one can be involved in. Generally, I like to have a good idea of what the idea is so that I don't feel completely lost on the spot. I have always found it best to advertise on the forums and seek out a RP partner, as I enjoy romantic RP within SL as well as many other online games. I often relate the experience to writing a love story with another person, each character having their own personality and style which is handcrafted by the real person controlling it.

I also tend to have a set of rules in place for any given RP experience such as but not limited to:

- RP is NOT RL. It cannot be RL to me. I have my own life and though I am single in RL, I am not seeking to find love online regardless of whether it is possible or not.

- RL can usually be discussed and even realistic flirting is okay with me. Flirting is fun and as long as it doesn't go too far I see no issue with it.

- I do not share details of my RL with anyone, only general things.

- There are boundaries in a RP within SL or any other game and they are not to be crossed. Why? Here is an example. I will not put up with a woman who, her real self, becomes upset if I do not play SL for a few days and tell her nothing. It's RP, not real. This has killed so many RP experiences in the past for me and though others may not feel the same, it is something I highly dislike.

- No Drama. Once it begins, I see myself out lol.

That being said, RP can be very fun and highly enjoyable for me with the right people. There are plenty of people who let RP cross into reality and this almost always causes trouble.

28 minutes ago, chrisinfamous said:

a woman who, her real self, becomes upset if I do not play SL for a few days and tell her nothing.

So you are saying you don't want anyone you RP with to be concerned when you don't log in for a long period of time? They aren't supposed to care if you've been ill or worst case you died?

That's a pretty crappy way to treat people.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

So you are saying you don't want anyone you RP with to be concerned when you don't log in for a long period of time? They aren't supposed to care if you've been ill or worst case you died?

That's a pretty crappy way to treat people.

I didn't mean for it to sound that way, though this was not obvious from the way I worded it. I have had a few bad experiences where I would literally receive negativity if I didn't log in for a few days. It was never a case of "I wanted to know you were okay.", or "I was wondering if you had died."

It was always a case of, "You don't care about me. You should tell me what's going on."

Why should I? My life is more important than a game or any RP story. It may seem mean but it is what it is. I am not a mean person. I WOULD explain myself to a girlfriend or a romantic interest in REAL life.

26 minutes ago, chrisinfamous said:

I didn't mean for it to sound that way, though this was not obvious from the way I worded it. I have had a few bad experiences where I would literally receive negativity if I didn't log in for a few days. It was never a case of "I wanted to know you were okay.", or "I was wondering if you had died."

It was always a case of, "You don't care about me. You should tell me what's going on."

Why should I? My life is more important than a game or any RP story. It may seem mean but it is what it is. I am not a mean person. I WOULD explain myself to a girlfriend or a romantic interest in REAL life.

Ah. I get what you are saying now. Their concern wasn't for or about you, it was all about them. That kind of people disappear from my life rather quickly. With a little help.