Hollie Leavitt

RP.... I don't get it

Sounds to me as if Chris had a couple of bad experiences and decided to take the "nuclear" route going forward ...

I see a lot of different situations being brought up in this thread that can all be solved by proper communication with the people around you. Personally, treating this game as anything other than just that; a game, is a mistake far too many people make. If you're using this game as a void filler, or an escape, it only means you have issues you should probably address IRL in a healthy manner. I've seen far too many people prioritize their SL over RL over the years because their RLs are garbage. They all eventually 'fall down the rabbit hole' so to speak. Nowadays I sit by and watch it with a bowl of popcorn and 3d glasses. It happens at a safe distance in the combat community and makes for a very entertaining show.

This game is a fun experience as long as you and the people you surround yourself with have their priorities straight both IRL and SL. 

• Like 2

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

A parental lecture. Oh dear. 

xD

I mean call it what you will tbh. just my 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, Parx Oran said:

Personally, treating this game as anything other than just that; a game, is a mistake far too many people make.

If everyone who makes content for SL thought of it as "just a game", it would be a barren world indeed.

Thank goodness for all who put their hearts and time into using it as a truly creative platform.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Parx Oran said:

I see a lot of different situations being brought up in this thread that can all be solved by proper communication with the people around you. Personally, treating this game as anything other than just that; a game, is a mistake far too many people make. If you're using this game as a void filler, or an escape, it only means you have issues you should probably address IRL in a healthy manner. I've seen far too many people prioritize their SL over RL over the years because their RLs are garbage. They all eventually 'fall down the rabbit hole' so to speak. Nowadays I sit by and watch it with a bowl of popcorn and 3d glasses. It happens at a safe distance in the combat community and makes for a very entertaining show.

This game is a fun experience as long as you and the people you surround yourself with have their priorities straight both IRL and SL. 

The thing is, treating SL as a game leads to problems. People start to think they don't need to respect others because in their eyes its "Just a game" is the main one. SL isn't just a game to everyone. To some its a hobby, to some its their RL career, and yes to some its an escape or a port to explore things they don't feel comfortable/ safe in doing in RL. I won't deny there are some who will put it first over their RL, and those people are just....whew, they need help lol.

I think the best term to describe SL isn't a game, but a virtual platform

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I agree with what Parx said in that, a lot of issues can just be solved between proper communication with people involved; you can resolve almost any social issue you might have with another person just by talking about it. I think the best thing is to keep it at a healthy balance. Like all things, really. 

It's a game, yes, but you are playing with REAL people and must treat them how you'd treat anybody... I mean, when I meet a new person in the game, I treat them as I would a stranger, IRL - because it's not an NPC, it's not some robot...it's a real person. Introduce yourself, talk to them, respect them etc. For some it's more intertwined with their real lives than others. Some people make a living on here, create content and devote a lot of time and effort. To me, so long as they also give their REAL life an *equal* amount of time and care, I see no issue. Some people take the "second' bit in second life literally and are another person entirely. I don't see anything wrong with it though it's not my cup of tea...it's hard for me to not be myself unless I'm in RP. My extension in this game is, basically just me but with a different appearance and in a different setting. That's why I personally would feel uncomfortable having a SL-only relationship because my "avatar" is just me. And I already have a boyfriend so it's just weird, to me, but what other people do or think of that isn't my business and I'm not here to judge. Now if I were roleplaying as one of my characters, there's no issue; the character isn't *me* and the other person is playing a character that isn't *them*. But I feel in VR games there are often confusion with what is and isn't roleplay at a given time so it's important for people involved to make it clear.

I call it a game but it's really just a Virtual Reality. No matter who you are in SL your avatar is an extension of you. And you can do with it what you will, y'know, but always keep in mind the people you're talking to are real and have very real feelings.

• Like 2

the rest of the community will have vastly different opinions than me on the subject I will admit. But that is because this is only an amazing creative outlet for me, but also a fun fast-paced first-person shooter, and it is nothing more for my friends as well. This has lead to many drama-free years for us. I don't mean to make it seem like I'm 'preaching the way' or anything like that, but figured I might have an interesting perspective to take account of. In the end though this game will always have people that blur the lines between their avatars and them. I've found over the years that it's best to keep a distance from those people and to make sure you're not one of them.

Edited by Parx Oran

2 hours ago, Parx Oran said:

the rest of the community will have vastly different opinions than me on the subject I will admit. But that is because this is only an amazing creative outlet for me, but also a fun fast-paced first-person shooter, and it is nothing more for my friends as well. This has lead to many drama-free years for us. I don't mean to make it seem like I'm 'preaching the way' or anything like that, but figured I might have an interesting perspective to take account of. In the end though this game will always have people that blur the lines between their avatars and them. I've found over the years that it's best to keep a distance from those people and to make sure you're not one of them.

Best keep your distance from me then. I am me when I log in and I am me when I log out. Same goes for the MMO games I play, like STO, where I have two lifetime accounts.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 8:06 PM, Parx Oran said:

In the end though this game will always have people that blur the lines between their avatars and them. I've found over the years that it's best to keep a distance from those people and to make sure you're not one of them.

Ouch.

My SL is basically the online equivalent of chatting with friends over the knitting except one of them likes to blow up prims. She's herself whatever av she's on, like I'm myself whatever av I'm on (though we keep up a humourous running story line about the relationship between my main and building alt, they are currently sisters because they both bought the same hair on special but Bitsy is a time traveller so sometimes she's Paisley's mum which all makes complete sense, and when she's mum she thinks Paisley and the boy av would make a darling couple but Paisley just shoulders up her bazooka and looks at her sideways), and George is so very much George whatever av he's using. Same with the majority in our extended circles.

The lines aren't blurred, they don't exist. It's not really a choice for me, I don't have the skills needed to be anyone other than myself.

My experience is that drama is more likely to happen when people insist on boundaries between "real" and av because things have this way of leaking through. I'll still hang out with them if they're interesting though. I find it harder to build real trust though, the kind I have with my closest and realest friends.

But some of us are very capable of being ourselves inworld quite peaceably and sensibly. Maybe give us more of a chance?

• Like 3

On 2/19/2019 at 5:10 PM, Parx Oran said:

Personally, treating this game as anything other than just that; a game, is a mistake far too many people make

I think the starting of this sentence is correct, personally. For you personally its just a game.

For me personally, it has no game concepts. Well it has them, but I don't enjoy or use them. I use it mostly for chatting, but that does not make SL a chatbox either. Also love doing pictures, but its not photo software either. And I do love shopping and dressing up, decorating my virtual house etc.. But to call SL a fashion store or "the sims" clone also makes no sense.

SL is to diverse of a platform to call it one thing or the other. Its what you make of it. Someone using the platform different than you is not a mistake, its a different perspective and approach. To each their own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 2/19/2019 at 5:57 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

Same goes for the MMO games I play, like STO, where I have two lifetime accounts.

<.<  I have one.   

I'm fairly new to the RP  scene. I grew up on a PVP server in WoW, so I never really got into the RP aspect.  in SL, among other games, I tend to portray myself. however I would like to get more into the RP stuff, but I'm unsure how to go about that. luckily, Orwar and Py help me out immensely with that

Edited by Catrie

1 hour ago, Catrie said:

I grew up on a PVP server in WoW

Well the one important question would then be... Alliance or Horde? :)

• Like 1

Just now, Zeta Vandyke said:

Well the one important question would then be... Alliance or Horde? :)

Alliance, duh.  I was a pretty pretty night elf priest. lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catrie said:

Alliance, duh.  I was a pretty pretty night elf priest. lol

Pffff... call that pretty? I was a sexy walking corpse! Undead rogue

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I kept getting lost in UC. lol  Watching  tauren ,on mounts, gets stuck in the elevator is funny as hell, though

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

SL is to diverse of a platform to call it one thing or the other. Its what you make of it. Someone using the platform different than you is not a mistake, its a different perspective and approach. To each their own.

everybody can agree with this. However, when somebody asks you what kind of game SL is, How do you respond I'm curious?

for me, I usually say "It's a multi-player game engine" 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Parx Oran said:

However, when somebody asks you what kind of game SL is, How do you respond I'm curious?

The first rule of Second Life is: You do not talk about Second Life!

But theoretically, would someone ask me and I acknowledge I'm an SL addict, I would probably say its a sandbox virtual world where you can do and create just about anything.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Parx Oran said:

everybody can agree with this. However, when somebody asks you what kind of game SL is, How do you respond I'm curious?

It's a creative platform.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Parx Oran said:

It's not a game in the sense they would think. There are no rules, no goals, no leveling, the graphics are NOT optimized for any graphics card, there are many many things to learn before using it well. All in all, it isn't a game. It's more like Life 2.0. You didn't start out as a baby being able to run, talk or do anything you can as an adult, just like then you have  a learning curve in SL.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Parx Oran said:

Nobody's ever asked me that. The closest is when I'm trying to explain it to someone and I say "It's sort of like a video game, except it's not a game and everything is made by the users. I make stuff for it."

There isn't anything I do in SL which is a game. Play, like freeform child's play, but not a game. The open-endedness of that sort of play is important to me. Which reminds me, I really need to get my hunt prize finished before the end of the month and stop playing with the prims :). End goals are really over-rated :D

• Like 1

I would say that it is not a game unless you consider real life to also be a game and then I would agree to that.  After that I would simply say that it is a virtual world, a very coarse approximated simulation of a real world and that even if the possibilities here aren't limitless to what you can do, they certainly are impressively broad for something that only exists in computers.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:30 AM, Zeta Vandyke said:

Ditto 🙂-

To me, it’s (like in rl) all what you make of it. People in SL rp, act out fantasy’s, use it as a creative space and outlet, travel within SL, discover themselves, create friendship, relationships etc. YET, unless you spend the time, money and effort to learn SL and discover what SL is to you, it can be difficult for non SL-ers to “get it”. Personally, I love 💕 SL... crave it. It’s totally separate from rl, yet like my cell phone or taking a trip it can be as real as rl at times. I’m addicted.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:13 PM, Zeta Vandyke said:

And now there be leather-clad Forsaken gals on my mind. Pouts.

• Haha 2

hmm.. the debate of what is sl is fairly simple to answer.

sl is a virtual reality simulation platform. aka an interactive novel with visuals and sounds. where anything and everything is possible within the context of the events as written and created by the users of sl.

everyone is a god/goddess in sl, with near unlimited powers and potential. the only limits is we cant really control how people act toward us only how we act and respond toward them. everyone else is a npc that is out of our direct control for they can always just mute/block/derender if we do or say anything they dont like, and so can we about anything they say or do too.

It is an extension of the human mind and imagination. A chance to be what you cannot be in reality because of one reason or another. Where no one persons views or beliefs or values or ethics or morals or standards is any more important of valid or true or better or correct than anyone else. You can be what you want, how ever you want, why ever you want, because you want. and there is no real consequences for your actions or behaviors that have any real power to change you unless you allow it too.

some use it as an extension of rl, and try to act exactly how they would be in rl including how they might look. some use it as just a story in a book or tv show or movie and escape from reality. some use it to be the main character in that story, to be the hero or villain or victim in need of rescue. some use it act out other events that they might be interested in exploring but cannot for one reason or another in rl.

Toward RP that is also simple.

you are playing a role within a set scene of events that happen in an agreed set manner over a set period of time. such as remaining ic at all times in local when on the rp sim or even at all times when talking to anyone ever, or maybe even remaining ic even in groups or im. you are that character at all times in all situations at all places. you pose in and out of scenes to enter and exit them properly. then behave and act according to what your character is and can do. if hurt you act that out and remain hurt until healed by someone or an agreed time has passed where you are healed or died and etc..

the problem happens is when an rp/ic only person meets a [rp/ic & ooc] person and neither realize what the other is doing until one or the other gets upset or hurt from lack of proper communication between each individual. each had different expectations of the outcome from the meeting/scene/rp. proper, honest, open and truthful communication is key to prevent this. but not everyone will do so.

which is why it would be a good idea to read each others profile before ever rp'ing with someone. ask in im if they are a rp/ic only person and explain why you ask or maybe put some sort of indicator in your profile that you are an rp/ic only user. maybe such as #ICONLY or #RPALWAYS. But I doubt hardly anyone would do this because then it gives a person a heads up..

There are some handy tools in sl that actually let a user display a title above them and indicate in that title if they are ic or occ at that time to help alleviate the confusion for some people. but a lot of people wont use them because they like the head games they are causing by not letting someone know if they are in ic or occ when speaking. that is what they are here for to play with peoples minds and emotions and feelings for their own end desires or needs.

Unless I am in a strict ic only region/sim I often bounce between ic/occ but that is me. I will break that fourth wall if needed to get a point across if someone is being a possible jerk without first warning that they are an rp/ic only person. if I know they are an rp/ic only I am more than likely not going to get offended what they say or do and play along; but some people like that and want you to do that because it adds to the immersion factor to them and being the type of person they are dont care if you dont like it. they want that real visceral response from you and enjoy that it might have actually upset/hurt you in rl.