Sign in to follow this  
Sandy Schnook

RIP Stan Lee

OMG, a giant of our times is gone.

Stan Lee was a huge force in creating our popular culture.  He was revered, and he was vilified.  Depending on who's talking, he was a genius, crazy, a philanthropist, a thief.  Generous, or miserly.  Encouraging, or vindictive.  He dragged the Marvel comic universe up by its bootstraps, fighting censors and naysayers.  From $0.10 printed comic books, the Marvel characters became Saturday morning cartoon series, action figures.  They were the front runners of today's huge "superhero movie" industry.  Not stopping there, they moved into live action television series.

Spider-man, The Fantastic Four, the Hulk.  Nick Fury, Captain America.  Iron Man, the X-Men, Daredevil.  The Mighty Thor, Doctor Strange, the Silver Surfer, Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner.  Howard the Duck.

Thanks for the ride, Stan.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I hoped they already filmed his cameos for the next couple movies.

I read that Marvel filmed many cameos of Stan Lee for future films. 

• Thanks 1

Recently in the news suing his Ex-Manager for US$20M for Edler Abuse. That manager was stealing Stan's blood to sign comics. So much blood was stolen from Stan that he became faint.

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I hoped they already filmed his cameos for the next couple movies.

3 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I hope they can CGI him in future.

I'm not sure how I feel about dead people being "brought back to life", via pre-shot cameos or CGI. These always seemed like they were taking advantage of the person to me. One expects the estate is being paid, I guess... but then, escpecially with CGI... It's not really him!

I loved seeing him pop up in those movies..

The one that I never expected to see him in,because I didn't even realize it was Marvel..Was Big Hero 6..

He totally caught me off guard with that one..

He's gonna be missed big time..Marvel movies won't feel the same without him..

Be in Peace Stan Lee

Ceka ❤️

Edited by Ceka Cianci

17 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Spider-man, The Fantastic Four, the Hulk.  Nick Fury, Captain America.  Iron Man, the X-Men, Daredevil.  The Mighty Thor, Doctor Strange, the Silver Surfer, Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner.  Howard the Duck.

With no word of a lie, I have never seen a single movie featuring any of these characters and had never heard the name Stan Lee up until his death.

These really are not my kind of movies, but I have heard of about half of the above mentioned. I guess they appeal more to masses who have little incling for thinking and just enjoy easy, effect-filled movies.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

I guess they appeal more to masses who have little incling for thinking and just enjoy easy, effect-filled movies.

Stan Lee’s characters are complex compared to earlier depictions of “super heroes”: they experience doubt, regret, discrimination..the point is that they made the reader think more than previous characters did. I say “readers” because all these movie characters originated in Marvel comic books.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

With no word of a lie, I have never seen a single movie featuring any of these characters and had never heard the name Stan Lee up until his death.

These really are not my kind of movies, but I have heard of about half of the above mentioned. I guess they appeal more to masses who have little incling for thinking and just enjoy easy, effect-filled movies.

That's a rather sweeping generalization. I have read many thousands of books during my life, and enjoy all types.  From comics to theoretical physics.  I also enjoy different types of movies.  I enjoy the Marvel Universe of comics because they allow for flawed characters, characters of different races and are not always clear on whether the evil is true evil or something that is just misplaced in the universe we know.

• Like 6

In this country some news places have run a clip from the Hulk, (from TV?), where he says to a Dr: "Dont make me angry Dr. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" 

I didn't realise a guy at work has said that at least 5 times over the last three years.

That's how deeply Stans work has resonated with entire cultures.

My mum told a story of when she was very little. She & her sister had heard of comics, but never seen any. Someone told them they were evil, so they were scared of comics. lol wth! :oxD 

R.I.P ❤️

Edited by Maryanne Solo

19 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

I guess they appeal more to masses who have little incling for thinking and just enjoy easy, effect-filled movies.

This one sentence already proves you have indeed never seen any of the Marvel movies or read any of the Marvel comics. That was the big change in the super hero comic world that Stan Lee introduced. Stan Lee's super heroes had flaw's, were rounded characters and DID make people think about what was happening in their stories.

Yes, the films can be watched with little thinking about the background and enjoyed as easy effect filled movies, but for a lot of fans of the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) the charm is that there is so much more behind the films and series, and all of them are interconnected on a deeper level. With the exception of the Fox-produced Marvel films (X-men, Fantastic Four, and DeadPool), they are all set in the same universe, and can affect each other even in the smallest details.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

That's a heavy judgement to jump to for something you haven't seen.

• Like 3