Elephant memory

MBeatrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remember when we were promised that there would be no more cloud avatars. So why am I seeing lots today? And why is my skin grey?

[EDIT] There seems to be a problem with textures. CDN not delivering? (yes, I also remember when it was said that CDN would make it all better for everyone)

Edited by MBeatrix
additional info

At this time we are undergoing unscheduled maintenance that may cause some avatars to appear as a cloud for an extended period of time. We expect this issue to clear up gradually over the next hour or two, and inventory is not affected by this maintenance. Please note that at this time relogging will not resolve an avatar appearing as a cloud and mass relogging may extend the timeline for resolution. We thank you for your patience apologize for the inconvenience. Please follow this blog for more updates.

54 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

I remember when we were promised that there would be no more cloud avatars. So why am I seeing lots today? And why is my skin grey?

[EDIT] There seems to be a problem with textures. CDN not delivering? (yes, I also remember when it was said that CDN would make it all better for everyone)

We must remember that LL are committed (sic) to improving the "shared experience".  At one time client-side baking of the avatar meant that occasionally folk with either a poor internet connection to SL or a slow computer would see themselves "clouded" though others might see them correctly.  This was unfair!  Now we can all share in the communal clouding!  Yay!

All Server Side Baking and the distributed CDN did was to shift the rendering load from one part of the system to another.  Like all chains, links can break, whichever they are.

Just now, Aishagain said:

At one time client-side baking of the avatar meant that occasionally folk with either a poor internet connection to SL or a slow computer would see themselves "clouded" though others might see them correctly. 

Perhaps on Opposite Day, but on any other day ever it meant the exact opposite - the bake had to be uploaded by that poor internet connection, meaning that the avatar might look correct to that person but the information didn't arrive for anyone else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.