The Old Lie: "Dulce et Decorum Est"

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

And so again are they in return - you start an argumentation ping pong with the ultimate goal to disrupt the discussion that has nothing to do with it, thus getting legit threads on totally unrelated topics locked - if that's not trolling on purpose I have no idea what is...

I have no desire to ever get a thread locked.

Why would I?

What purpose is served by that?

However, I feel free to reply to any aspect of any post made in a thread.

And as I've said before, most of my posts are in reply to an off topic comment others have made.

• Haha 1

Just now, Phorumities said:

I have no desire to ever get a thread locked.

Why would I?

What purpose is served by that?

However, I feel free to reply to any aspect of any post made in a thread.

And as I've said before, most of my posts are in reply to an off topic comment others have made.

Then stop making off topic comments on off topic comments. That is what gets threads locked. It is that simple. 

• Like 3

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Then stop making off topic comments on off topic comments. That is what gets threads locked. It is that simple. 

So its ok for others to make off topic comments, but not for me to reply?

See, you are doing it again, and yet you'll blame me when the thread is locked.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I know a lot of RL people who feel they can say whatever they like with no consequences. I’m not sure if it’s an “entitlement of the aged”, or what.

There's a lot of people in here like that, I agree, but when you reply to them, they whine and go no fair, stop it.

Here's another one for you Scyllia, from a different POV.

Excerpt from the memoir of Loreta Janeta Velazquez, Soldier in Disguise

During the Civil War, women played an important role not only on the home front, but on the battlefield as well. Women were generally limited to work as nurses, however, a few females secretly joined the military posing as men. The memories of one such women, Loreta Janeta Velazquez, also known as Lieutenant H.T. Buford, are below.

WITHIN three days I managed to provide myself with a very complete military outfit; quite sufficient to enable me to commence operations without delay, which was the main thing I was after, for I was exceedingly anxious to carry out a magnificent idea I had in my mind, and to present myself before my husband, under such auspices that he could no longer find an excuse for refusing his consent to my joining the Southern army as a soldier. My uniform suit having been arranged for, it was an easy matter for me to procure the rest of my outfit without unduly attracting attention, and I soon had in my room a trunk well packed with the wearing apparel of an army officer, and neatly marked upon the outside with the name I had concluded to adopt.

Lieutenant H. T. Buford, C. S. A.

When I saw the trunk with this name upon it as large as life, my heart fairly jumped for joy, and I felt as if the dream of my life were already more than half realized. There was a good deal, however, to be done before I could move any [p. 62] farther in this momentous affair, and while waiting for the tailor to send my uniform suit, I thought and planned until my head fairly ached. At length I hit upon a method of arranging my financial matters which I judged would prove satisfactory, and concluded to call in a gentleman who was a very old and intimate friend of both my husband and myself, and demand his assistance.

* End note on Velazquez: She did end up joining the Confederate army and was present during some very important battles. Her main role was as a spy for the Confederates. While on active duty in the Confederate army, her identity was not discovered.

https://www.gettysburg.edu/dotAsset/c25d9bb4-41d0-42d1-a242-d9e0d0dabdee.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

These are wonderful, and upsetting, all at the same time. And the colourized (?) footage is astonishing.

This is the moment when the black and white gave way to the colourised footage. It's breathtaking: https://i.gyazo.com/caa0e464b1221729d303e09b5f71ec54.mp4

Definitely keep an eye out for when it's aired on US television. Peter Jackson has pulled off a masterpiece with it. The tinest details were considered. He brought in forensic lip-readers to figure out what the soldiers were saying, and then he brought in actors to overdub those words, to add extra atmosphere over and above the soundtrack of shelling and firing. He even made sure that - where regiments were identifiable - the actors came from the same location, so the accents would be accurate.

This was another moment that got to me. Watch for the trembling hand: https://i.gyazo.com/e390d99f8c3dd7380154abe49e21c51a.mp4

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

February 5 - Resumed our promenade at 7 this morning, and for a change it is raining hard. Therefore the snow is melting. Consequently, the roads are nice and soft. Halted at 3 this evening - still raining. We made ourselves as comfortable as possible - made a good fire to dry ourselves by, but the worst of it is we have no rations, and the wagons are behind. We went to sleep in our wet clothing, with a cup of coffee as our supper. It rained and snowed all night.

February 6 - Nothing to eat yet. Wortheim, W. Eagle and myself went out foraging, to buy something to eat. We got to one house and there was no one at home, but in the yard there were two chickens, which we captured, for we were afraid they would bite us. We went to the next house and ate our breakfast. One of the ladies asked us where we got those chickens. I told her that we bought them at the house before we got there. She told us she lived there and that there was nobody at home. I then told her the truth, paid her for them and left. The next house we got to we bought a ham, a peck of meal, a peck of sweet potatoes and some turnips. We took dinner in this house. We then returned to camp. We had a good reception from our mess, as they had still nothing to eat.

February 7 - We could not march yesterday, as the streams were too high from the recent rains and snow. We left to-day at 12 M., and got one day's rations, hard enough to fell a bull. Marched on the railroad track all the afternoon. The main road was impassable. We got to Kinston at 4 in the afternoon, and made camp in a swamp, two and a half miles out of town. We had nothing to eat, but slept good for all that.

February 8 - Wortheim and myself went uptown to get something to eat. We got corn bread and bacon. On our road back to camp we bought four more dodgers of corn bread and gave it to our mess companions who did not go uptown. Our regiment moved on the other side of town in an old pine thicket.

February 9 - We established a regular camp here. This last march has been a very hard one, and only a distance of thirty miles. But it took us from Wednesday to Saturday, through snow, rain and mud ankle-deep and without rations. Kinston is a perfect ruin, as the Yankees have destroyed everything they could barely touch, but it must at one time have been a very pretty town - but now nothing scarcely but chimneys are left to show how the Yankees are trying to reconstruct the Union.

https://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/leon/leon.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

This is the moment when the black and white gave way to the colourised footage. It's breathaking: https://i.gyazo.com/caa0e464b1221729d303e09b5f71ec54.mp4

Definitely keep an eye out for when it's aired on US television. Peter Jackson has pulled off a masterpiece with it. The tinest details were considered. He brought in forensic lip-readers to figure out what the soldiers were saying, and then he brought in actors to overdub those words, to add extra atmosphere over and above the soundtrack of shelling and firing. He even made sure that - where regiments were identifiable - the actors came from the same location, so the accents would be accurate.

This was another moment that got to me. Watch for the trembling hand: https://i.gyazo.com/e390d99f8c3dd7380154abe49e21c51a.mp4

I watched this today, thinking of my grandfather who was shot through both thighs and taken prisoner.  He would never ever speak of the war, except to say that he didn't hate the German soldiers because they were just doing the same as the British soldiers.  He had his 21st birthday in the trenches.  He came home, married my grandma and lived into the 1970's.  I adored him, and miss him still.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is floosh? I forget the word. Flounce!

The term/action "*plonk*" is what is often used by others to signify they are placing a particular user on Ignore.

From seeing it used here and elsewhere however it seems to be more used by those pretending to do so or as a means of getting in a dig (among other things) instead of simply placing a user on Ignore silently and moving on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

This is the moment when the black and white gave way to the colourised footage. It's breathtaking

Wow. Yeah. It's astonishing how that brings the film alive. I've never been a fan of colourized versions of old films and such, but that's really effective.

7 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Definitely keep an eye out for when it's aired on US television.

*coughs* Canadian TV. Although actually I don't have any kind of TV. But I wonder if it's available for rent through YouTube or elsewhere? (My uni library also has a pretty good collection of online documentary video.) I'd pay for this in a shot.

8 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I didn't realize Peter Jackson was behind it! It would be good, then.

9 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

This was another moment that got to me. Watch for the trembling hand

My god yes. And the look on their faces.

1 minute ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

I watched this today, thinking of my grandfather who was shot through both thighs and taken prisoner.  He would never ever speak of the war, except to say that he didn't hate the German soldiers because they were just doing the same as the British soldiers.  He had his 21st birthday in the trenches.  He came home, married my grandma and lived into the 1970's.  I adored him, and miss him still.

That was one of the things I'm glad they included in this: the soldiers talking about the Germans that they'd captured, how many of the Germans had almost instantly volunteered to help with stretcher duty, and - especially towards the end of the war - how they knew the Germans were as sick of it as they were. There was a strange kinship among the front line soldiers on both sides (with the possible exception of the Prussians, as mentioned in it).

When I was very small, my Nan used to visit an old man who was - even back then - well into his eighties. I'd sometimes go with her to see 'Uncle Jimmy' as he was known to me. I've never forgotten how red, rheumy, and constantly-watering his eyes were, as I'd sit and eat a bit of cake while listening to him talking with my Nan. I knew that he'd lost his sight in one eye and had only limited vision in the other, but it was only years later after he'd died that I found out he'd been gassed as a young man in the trenches in the Great War and had carried the pain and constant reminder with him for the rest of his life.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

February 6 - Nothing to eat yet. Wortheim, W. Eagle and myself went out foraging, to buy something to eat. We got to one house and there was no one at home, but in the yard there were two chickens, which we captured, for we were afraid they would bite us. We went to the next house and ate our breakfast. One of the ladies asked us where we got those chickens. I told her that we bought them at the house before we got there. She told us she lived there and that there was nobody at home. I then told her the truth, paid her for them and left.

Hah! Again, this reminds me of an early scene in All Quiet on the Western Front. I love how he was faced down by "one of the ladies"!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.