is it possible to detect someone online or offline without logging in viewer?

xshiron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, I am sort of getting stalked by someone I used to know.. (of course blocked for now) But I felt weird since the person started messaging me when did I login or not and what did I do whenever I login the viewer. Its personal thing so I wont talk detail here.

When did this happen many times I tested not logging in second life for a month. And there was no notification sent to my email that person sent me message. After I logged in he sent me message right away. Of course that person was not in my friend list anymore. I am not in any groups except for private group. 

How did that person know whether I am online or offline right away? Is there a script or items that detects someone online status sold on marketplace / inworld market? 

Of course I blocked that person after a simple testing so it's not a problem.. But I was just curious about how he figured out my online status even that person was not on my friend list, none of any groups I'm in. That person just send IM right away whenever I login, I never had offline message from that person before.

Edited by xshiron

5 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

That most certainly is still a feature of the Firestorm viewer.. 
Oh look, you're offline.. 

Ansariel Hiller.png

She was talking about how back in the Phoenix days it would show you were online even if you had set yourself as offline to friends or set prefs to not show your status to non-friends.  It basically ignored all settings and always showed you as online if you were.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

@xshiron If you were friends once, they may still have your calling card which will also tell them if you are online.. 

That was changed quite a while back.  In both the SL Viewer and Firestorm, the calling card no longer shows you as online if you are not friends or if they've set it so that you don't see their online status.

5 hours ago, lavalois said:

Actually, this is not true. When you hide your online status to someone on your friends list, the online/offline notification disappears entirely from your profile for them.
This is also a way to see whether people have hidden their online status from you.

This one is actually odd.  I logged on myself and an alt (who is my friend).  The alt was set to be able to see my online status and my profile showed 'online' to them.  I then changed the setting and the profile showed 'Offline' to the alt. I then logged myself out and had the alt pull the profile back up and it shows no status - as you mention.  From that point on, whether I was online or not, the alt saw no status on the profile - even after I gave back the permission to see my online status.  Ditto if the alt logged out while the permission was turned off.

Basically, if I turn the permission off, as long as we are both online, the alt will see 'Offline' on my profile and if I then turn it back on before logging out, the alt continues to see a status on my profile.  However, if either of us log out while the permission is off, then the alt sees no status on the profile and that will hold until I give the permission back and the alt logs in anew.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This one is actually odd.  I logged on myself and an alt (who is my friend).  The alt was set to be able to see my online status and my profile showed 'online' to them.  I then changed the setting and the profile showed 'Offline' to the alt. I then logged myself out and had the alt pull the profile back up and it shows no status - as you mention.  From that point on, whether I was online or not, the alt saw no status on the profile - even after I gave back the permission to see my online status.  Ditto if the alt logged out while the permission was turned off.

Basically, if I turn the permission off, as long as we are both online, the alt will see 'Offline' on my profile and if I then turn it back on before logging out, the alt continues to see a status on my profile.  However, if either of us log out while the permission is off, then the alt sees no status on the profile and that will hold until I give the permission back and the alt logs in anew.

Maybe is bug?

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe is bug?

Probably not, because the ONline/offline feature shown in Firestorm isn't supposed to work. Even back in the Emerald Era, the developers were told to break that feature by LL, because of privacy reasons. So the people at Emerald broke the feature. but never bothered to completely remove the code. Perhaps it was partially restored to be able to see the online status of friends, but it is (or was) not supposed to work with people not in your friends list.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lavalois said:

but it is (or was) not supposed to work with people not in your friends list.

Must be a "was" because Catznip and even the official LL viewer online status in profiles works for people not in my friends' list ILL with Web Profiles and Catznip with old-style floater profiles) - at least for those not foolish enough to try to hide their online status (because in truth: you can't). I am only replying to this one quote, so I apologize if it is taken out of a bigger context (several posts up) that I'm not aware of.

I'm not seeing the full answer to this question. There is a very simple one (for those of you dropping in a year later). The Online Detector HUD on marketplace for 10 L can give people your online status despite any attempts you can make to hide it. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Online-Detector-Notepads-V15-Online-Status-Indicator-HUD/6350249

Sorry! That's how people do it. It flashes up green almost as soon as you log in to the person wanting to track you.

1 minute ago, VanillaSaks said:

I'm not seeing the full answer to this question. There is a very simple one (for those of you dropping in a year later). The Online Detector HUD on marketplace for 10 L can give people your online status despite any attempts you can make to hide it. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Online-Detector-Notepads-V15-Online-Status-Indicator-HUD/6350249

Sorry! That's how people do it. It flashes up green almost as soon as you log in to the person wanting to track you.

Since the thread is resurrected, we may as well give the best up-to-date information. Regarding thread title:

Yes you can: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-OnlineMonitor/935074

9 hours ago, Renee Billig said:

`Anyone can use their internet browser to go to https://secondlife.com/my/account/friends.php?lang=en after logging in.

That page uses the same rules as when you look at your inworld Friends list and the inworld profiles.  As stated multiple times in this thread, those displays are not necessarily accurate.

If you were on my Friends list, but I had my setting so that you would not know if I was online or not, then when you go to that page it would never show me whether I am online or not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.