is it possible to detect someone online or offline without logging in viewer?

xshiron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, I am sort of getting stalked by someone I used to know.. (of course blocked for now) But I felt weird since the person started messaging me when did I login or not and what did I do whenever I login the viewer. Its personal thing so I wont talk detail here.

When did this happen many times I tested not logging in second life for a month. And there was no notification sent to my email that person sent me message. After I logged in he sent me message right away. Of course that person was not in my friend list anymore. I am not in any groups except for private group. 

How did that person know whether I am online or offline right away? Is there a script or items that detects someone online status sold on marketplace / inworld market? 

Of course I blocked that person after a simple testing so it's not a problem.. But I was just curious about how he figured out my online status even that person was not on my friend list, none of any groups I'm in. That person just send IM right away whenever I login, I never had offline message from that person before.

Edited by xshiron

As Lindal says, your online status is public information .  Anyone using the Firestorm viewer can see immediately that you are on line by simply opening your profile, where it shows on the main (General) page.  Any beginning scripter can write a script with fewer than ten lines to display that same information, and can then put it into a mailbox (as Lindal has) or into a HUD.  There's nothing illegal about doing any of that.  What is illegal is stalking or harrassment -- not one-time annoyances, but repeated, unwanted advances.  If that's happening, then you should submit an Abuse Report, supplying specific times and places where you believe violations may have occurred.

49 minutes ago, VanillaSaks said:

I'm not seeing the full answer to this question. There is a very simple one (for those of you dropping in a year later). The Online Detector HUD on marketplace for 10 L can give people your online status despite any attempts you can make to hide it. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Online-Detector-Notepads-V15-Online-Status-Indicator-HUD/6350249

Sorry! That's how people do it. It flashes up green almost as soon as you log in to the person wanting to track you.

That was, in fact, the answer that I gave at the top of this thread, back in 2018. That particular HUD is one of dozens that you can find on the Marketplace and, as I indicated, the LSL function that it uses is so simple to use that any beginning scripter can make one at no cost.  In fact, if you replace DATA_NAME with DATA_ONLINE in the example for llRequestAgentData in the LSL wiki, you've got the basic script right there.  Your online status is public information.  Your position in world, however, is not.

• Like 1

It's easy to know if a person is online.  You can just check any groups that you both belong to.  Unless you've set your profile to only show online to your friends, anyone can see it by checking there.  And if that weren't enough, there are devices that can tell on you.  I have one in the lobby of my apartment building to let tenants know when I'm on.  Basically, your online status is public information.  Your exact location is not.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wait, even if they are on your friends list, and you click “hide online status”?

You had to ask.  ?

I believe so, but I'll admit that I don't have any friends who have decided to prevent me from knowing their online status (as far as I know).  Next time I log in, I will have to ask one of my alts to do that.  Or maybe you can do the test and report back.

When I want to know a person's online status, I simply write my own quick script to find out. It takes all of about a minute to do from scratch.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Anyone using the Firestorm viewer can see immediately that you are on line by simply opening your profile, where it shows on the main (General) page.

52 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wait, even if they are on your friends list, and you click “hide online status”?

No -- If your Firestorm Preference 'Only friends and groups know I'm online" is checked (Privacy / General), then non-friends will see "Offline" in your Profile.   Also, if you've not checked the ability for a specific friend to see you online, they will also see "Offline" on your Profile, whether or not you are online.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No -- If your Firestorm Preference 'Only friends and groups know I'm online" is checked (Privacy / General), then non-friends will see "Offline" in your Profile.   Also, if you've not checked the ability for a specific friend to see you online, they will also see "Offline" on your Profile, whether or not you are online.

Good, I was sure that worked.

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's easy to know if a person is online.  You can just check any groups that you both belong to.  Unless you've set your profile to only show online to your friends, anyone can see it by checking there.  And if that weren't enough, there are devices that can tell on you.  I have one in the lobby of my apartment building to let tenants know when I'm on.  Basically, your online status is public information.  Your exact location is not.

yeah, it is possible to check on someone being online or not via groups. But the person isn't in any of my groups list (since all of my group access members to see member list), and second thing I got shocked was that the person messages me right after I login. As if he was on sl 24/7 to check on me online or not. Sadly i don't have home in sl yet, but that person could be using the script?

7 hours ago, xshiron said:

Of course I blocked that person after a simple testing so it's not a problem.. But I was just curious about how he figured out my online status even that person was not on my friend list, none of any groups I'm in. That person just send IM right away whenever I login, I never had offline message from that person before.

Simple with a script. The script can watch for you 24/7 and send them an IM when you log in. Assuming they have IMs to EMail active that IM will go to their cellphone. A few seconds and they can log in and message you.

There is absolutely NO way to hide online status in this game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

As Lindal says, your online status is public information .  Anyone using the Firestorm viewer can see immediately that you are on line by simply opening your profile, where it shows on the main (General) page.

That has never been a feature in Firestorm after LL put it on the drama list and disallowed that feature, so it had to be removed from Phoenix Viewer years ago already.

• Like 1

- you don't know if that person is in your groups, is one of your neighbours or even on your friends list since you have no clue how many and what alts this person has.

- since a script can easily alert this person whenever you log in that doesnt matter anyways.

- how can this person send you IM's while blocked?  

Donna:  Yes and no.  Mostly no.

It is possible to put a script into an object that will transmit your local chat and your location to another person.  However, such an object can't be attached to you without your consent.  Someone has to offer you the object, then you have to accept it, and wear it.

There are also "follower" objects.  For example, I have a gun with bullets that "attack" their target.  As long as the target avatar remains in the same region as the bullet, it keeps attacking them.  If they leave the region and then return later, the bullet resumes the attack.  Some follower objects can be used as an invisible vehicle.  The owner sits on the thing, and it follows a targeted avatar around, making it appear that the rider is "sitting on" the targeted avatar.  But, follower objects are not actually attached to you; they simply follow you, very closely.  They are limited in effect to a single region.  If you teleport to another region, the object cannot follow you there.

4 minutes ago, Donna Underall said:

I don't know if it's real or not, but I heard about a gizmo that someone can attach to you and follow you with? 

It is possible - someone could put a script into an object that gives them your current location.  This is why we always tell people to be careful about wearing objects random people give them.  If you ever suspect such, change to a system avi (or use a full body/head alpha) with no attachments, including any HUDs you are not 100% sure about.  TP around a bit and see if your stalker follows you.  Then add your normal attachments back one at a time slowly, continuing to TP around.  If you stalker suddenly shows up where you wouldn't expect them, then you last attached item may be the culprit.  When TPing around, be sure to pull up the map and go to random locations that you have never been to before -- that way you ensure that you are not accidentally running into said stalker just because you both went to one of your common spots.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is possible - someone could put a script into an object that gives them your current location.  This is why we always tell people to be careful about wearing objects random people give them.  If you ever suspect such, change to a system avi (or use a full body/head alpha) with no attachments, including any HUDs you are not 100% sure about.  TP around a bit and see if your stalker follows you.  Then add your normal attachments back one at a time slowly, continuing to TP around.  If you stalker suddenly shows up where you wouldn't expect them, then you last attached item may be the culprit.  When TPing around, be sure to pull up the map and go to random locations that you have never been to before -- that way you ensure that you are not accidentally running into said stalker just because you both went to one of your common spots.

I really think one of my exes did this to me once upon a time.  He would show up and yell at me when I was with someone.  I think whatever he was doing let him hear open chat too.

On 11/10/2018 at 3:13 PM, Rolig Loon said:

As Lindal says, your online status is public information .  Anyone using the Firestorm viewer can see immediately that you are on line by simply opening your profile, where it shows on the main (General) page. 

On 11/11/2018 at 5:03 AM, Ansariel Hiller said:

That has never been a feature in Firestorm after LL put it on the drama list and disallowed that feature, so it had to be removed from Phoenix Viewer years ago already.

That most certainly is still a feature of the Firestorm viewer.. 
Oh look, you're offline.. 

Ansariel Hiller.png

On 11/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, this is not true. When you hide your online status to someone on your friends list, the online/offline notification disappears entirely from your profile for them.
This is also a way to see whether people have hidden their online status from you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lavalois said:

Actually, this is not true. When you hide your online status to someone on your friends list, the online/offline notification disappears entirely from your profile for them.
This is also a way to see whether people have hidden their online status from you.

Sneaky!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.