Sign in to follow this  
animats

Why is it nighttime on mainland now?

10:40 AM PDT, or 10:40 AM Linden time. Dark of night.

helipad02_001.thumb.jpg.f473919f1998cdd05364dbacba58d12a.jpg

Until last weekend's switch from Daylight Savings Time, Zindra was on a 4-hour day cycle, with midnight at 0000 hours and every 4 hours thereafter. Now the schedule is different. When will sunrise come?

(Viewer is at "Second Life Default" and "Use Estate Settings"; I didn't change the local environment.)

I think EEP may have went live on the main grid, which means regions are likely using a day schedule based of a EEP sky.

If not the the release channel, probably magnum, bluesteel, or el tigre. What region are you in and is it a release candidate channel?

Edited by Chaser Zaks

1 hour ago, animats said:

Until last weekend's switch from Daylight Savings Time, Zindra was on a 4-hour day cycle, with midnight at 0000 hours and every 4 hours thereafter. Now the schedule is different. When will sunrise come?

My wild guess says it was changed with midnight being the sim's last reset time.  IF it gets set back to 00:00 hours it will most likely happen at midnight on Tuesday.

All this is just guessing.  It is always day time for me until I say it isn't.

It's not per-region. Nearby regions were dark. Faraway ones on other continents were dark. It's like someone changed the SL-wide day cycle.

I just checked the region that you were in @animats, and it looks fine to me.  I also hopped around through a bunch, and all look good.  Settings are where they are supposed to be.  

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

I just checked the region that you were in @animats, and it looks fine to me.  I also hopped around through a bunch, and all look good. 

I have cheese and milk set out in my region! :D Just like a gift to Santa!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

On my way!  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, animats said:

Sunrise at 11:26 AM PST.

OK, who changed the mainland day schedule?

Second Life midnight was apparently at 0000 PDT, so when time was changed to PST it changed to 2300. Blame Ben Franklin.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Second Life midnight was apparently at 0000 PDT, so when time was changed to PST it changed to 2300. Blame Ben Franklin.

Seems right. Now it's dark at 3 PM PST. So it's a 4 hour cycle locked to zone -7, Mountain Time.

The SL servers are in Phoenix, Arizona, and Arizona does not observe Daylight Savings Time. It looks like the day/night cycle is tied to local time in Arizona.  Linden Time is tied to local time in California, and does change with DST.

Maybe look at SLT clock on viewer screen, multiply by 6 (6 cycles),  take modulus of 24 (hours in day)..

71E803A9-8D2A-47F7-81F4-0F05A6E02EE1.gif

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe look at SLT clock on viewer screen, multiply by 6 (6 cycles),  take modulus of 24 (hours in day)..

That sounds exactly like how height is detected!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

13 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

On my way!  ?

Umm Patch, just one tip. If Callum's dispenser looks something like this,

155642.jpg.5f57ce1bfa7dee09e64e42cdc8f90180.jpg

You may want to be a little bit cautious.

Edited by ChinRey

It's a bit of a daft question for someone who has been around quite a while. The inworld day-night cycle never matched SLT. SLT is a 24 hour day-night cycle whereas inworld is a 4 hour day-night cycle.

8 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's a bit of a daft question for someone who has been around quite a while. The inworld day-night cycle never matched SLT. SLT is a 24 hour day-night cycle whereas inworld is a 4 hour day-night cycle.

I think animats is allowed daft questions. He seems to have a curious nature.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

First Law of Progress: If you are always right, you need to try harder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was with the understanding that the OP knows this, but they were also noticing a change to this or am I misunderstanding the OP?

Edited by Alyona Su

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Indeed, 'tis better to ask a daft question then to remain daft and unquestioning.

Note from our Legal Department: The above statement was not meant to be interpreted as referring to any particular forum participant, past or present.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I was with the understanding that the OP knows this, but they were also noticing a change to this or am I misunderstanding the OP?

The bit you quoted were Phil’s words, not mine. I think OP thought there was a change relative to DST change, and somewhere in there forgot the cycle. Just guessing.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The bit you quoted were Phil’s words, not mine. I think OP thought there was a change relative to DST change, and somewhere in there forgot the cycle. Just guessing.

I didn't notice, apologies. Seriously: SL Forums glitch or something (Selected text, tapped "Quote" floater) - BUT, it could be your comeuppance for proclaiming "thankfully" you're often wrong. Baahahahaha. BUT, you know I still love you. :P

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I didn't notice, apologies. Seriously: SL Forums glitch or something (Selected text, tapped "Quote" floater) - BUT, it could be your comeuppance for proclaiming "thankfully" you're often wrong. Baahahahaha. BUT, you know I still love you. :P

C748C7C5-B32C-4CA5-ACB8-D64D7F4FCF84.jpeg

• Like 1