Why is it nighttime on mainland now?

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's a bit of a daft question for someone who has been around quite a while. The inworld day-night cycle never matched SLT. SLT is a 24 hour day-night cycle whereas inworld is a 4 hour day-night cycle.

Of course it's a 4-hour cycle. What's unexpected is that the cycle is not tied to Linden time. Linden time, like California, does DST, but the world day/night cycle does not. It seems to be tied to is Arizona time, where the servers are. Arizona, the state, opted out of Daylight Savings Time. Probably someone long ago tied the day/night cycle to local time on the servers, and there it stayed.

1 hour ago, animats said:

Of course it's a 4-hour cycle. What's unexpected is that the cycle is not tied to Linden time. Linden time, like California, does DST, but the world day/night cycle does not. It seems to be tied to is Arizona time, where the servers are. Arizona, the state, opted out of Daylight Savings Time. Probably someone long ago tied the day/night cycle to local time on the servers, and there it stayed.

There's no reason to tie Second Life time to Earth time. The Earth is in a heliocentric system, has a tilted axis and follows an elliptical orbit. Second Life is geocentric and the sun and moon rotate around the land mass in a circle - well, more accurately, they're attached to either end of an invisible non-physical bar and are an infinite distance away because there's no parallax. I DO know that the sun and moon are farther away than the Sphere of Fixed Stars because I've seen stars in front of the moon.

• Like 1

It's a bit weird that the whole Second Life grid lies on the equator. The sun rises exactly from the east, at noon the sun is directly overhead, the sun sets exactly to the west. It would nice if there was a way to set the sun to move in the sky like it moves in more northern and more southern latitudes. I wonder would EEP have that possibility?

3 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

It's a bit weird that the whole Second Life grid lies on the equator. The sun rises exactly from the east, at noon the sun is directly overhead, the sun sets exactly to the west. It would nice if there was a way to set the sun to move in the sky like it moves in more northern and more southern latitudes. I wonder would EEP have that possibility?

There's an East Angle setting for the sun/moon in the current Windlight. It rotates the sun/moon plane around the vertical axis (so you can set the sun to rise at any point of the compass). I'm not sure how, or even if, it might be used to simulate a more northern or southern "Land of the Midnight Sun" type of day cycle — that's something I never got around to playing with and which I'll now leave until EEP comes online.

8 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

There's an East Angle setting for the sun/moon in the current Windlight. It rotates the sun/moon plane around the vertical axis (so you can set the sun to rise at any point of the compass). I'm not sure how, or even if, it might be used to simulate a more northern or southern "Land of the Midnight Sun" type of day cycle — that's something I never got around to playing with and which I'll now leave until EEP comes online.

Well, the East Angle just changes where the sun rises and sets. At noon the sun still is directly overhead just like in the equator in RL. So there is no way to simulate more northern or southern latitudes with the present Windlight system. Hopefully EEP can do it, that would be great.

I'd thought maybe you could use a low morning sun elevation with the East Angle set so the sun is due south as a Windlight key frame for your midday day cycle setting and let the interpolations do their stuff. But like I say, I never got around to trying it out, and now I guess it's pretty much a moot point anyway.

(Apologies to those residents who prefer a southern hemispheric frame of reference.)

Edited by KT Kingsley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.